The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

The nerds hangout. Anything technology related. TV's, phones, PC's, consoles this is the place!!
By Adey
Want to spend around £700 no more than £800. i7 & a GTX850 ish GPU. Mainly used for work. Photoshop, InDesign & a bit of gaming. This seems to fit the bill & has touchscreen. Anyone used Cube Laptops? Apparently Save on laptops own brand & they offer a 2 year warranty.

Any advice, better deals anywhere??
By yella
i'm apple through and through due to the residuals and ease of use, especially if graphics.

2014 Apple Macbook pro 13inch retina, effectively brand new as from Apple's refurb section but they are new really if you read up and full apple warranty etc. Retina screen is amazing and worth the ticket price. Yours for your top budget of £800. own it for 3 years and it will still be worth 500 to sell on just look at the price of old 2010 macbooks on ebay now! always buy mine from them, plus if you don;t like it free 14 day refund even if you have used it.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FGX72 ... na-display
By MarkX
What he said ^

I bought a 2014 Mbp retina last year and am delighted with it. I can't see me returning to a Windows based laptop any time soon.
By Jules
Just stepped into it myself, waiting for MBP retina to arrive. I went for an i7, 16GB of ram and a 512GB HDD though (and 2015 model) so couldn't get any refurbished ones cheap. That is a great price on it above though. Not sure about the gaming side of things with them?
By Adey
Yeah I did consider Apple but gaming is quite important. We've moved to a bigger house but there just doesn't seem to be anywhere to fit my desktop & all that goes with it so I'm thinking of selling it. It's not the best spec but it does play games pretty well. i5, R9 270, 8GB.
By Jules
From reading up on it they run fine with the specs turned down. I just have a dedicated gaming machine for that stuff = PS4 :-D
By Jules
Had my Mac about a week and it is just superb. I have not yet needed parallels as not missing any windows functions at all. The reboot/start up is silly fast and 1300mb+ read and write HDD speeds are laughably fast. Also, answering a phone call on it was a random experience (phone was playing music)
By yella
Jules wrote:Had my Mac about a week and it is just superb. I have not yet needed parallels as not missing any windows functions at all. The reboot/start up is silly fast and 1300mb+ read and write HDD speeds are laughably fast. Also, answering a phone call on it was a random experience (phone was playing music)

and you know what, the experience does not get any worse after a few years unlike a PC which just grind down slowly, only thing i would recommend is a spec shell case, protects the outside and means come sell on time yours is minty fresh and gets top money.
By smartie
Not really true that they dont slow down. My MBP got slower over time just like a PC. Nice piece of kit but I wouldn't buy one for gaming.
By *nub*
Why would computer hardware slow down? Either it works or it doesn't. Too much software, malware and other stuff using processing power and memory slow it down. But reformat it and it should work as new afaik
By Jules
Most windows machines slow down quite a lot in 2 years, registry issues or other problems with windows clogging up. From what most people say this does not happen with a Mac. No need to reformat/clean/re-install, it just keeps working.
By mjhamilton
As above happens on Macs as well - I've had my Air for about 18 months and recently reformatted it

In general they last longer between resets as there is not that much software out there to run on them and slow them down
By skinnyman9000
Windows machines run fine, if you're not stupid with them.

I run CCleaner once a week, removes old crap and tidies the registry, machine still as fast as ever. Power button to desktop in 6 seconds.
By Jules
skinnyman9000 wrote:Windows machines run fine, if you're not stupid with them.

I run CCleaner once a week, removes old crap and tidies the registry, machine still as fast as ever. Power button to desktop in 6 seconds.
6 secs? Video proof or it didn't happen.
By cheapskate
smartie wrote:Happens exactly like windows, just not to the same extent and its marginally easier to fix.
It doesn't. The only issue can be if the main drive gets to have less than about 16Gb of free space, but other than that, OSX does not degrade in performance with time, which is unsurprising as it's based on UNIX.
By skinnyman9000
Jules wrote:
skinnyman9000 wrote:Windows machines run fine, if you're not stupid with them.

6 secs? Video proof or it didn't happen.
I'll make one over the next few days, I'm off work next week.
By smartie
cheapskate wrote:
smartie wrote:Happens exactly like windows, just not to the same extent and its marginally easier to fix.
It doesn't. The only issue can be if the main drive gets to have less than about 16Gb of free space, but other than that, OSX does not degrade in performance with time, which is unsurprising as it's based on UNIX.
Does.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]