The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

The nerds hangout. Anything technology related. TV's, phones, PC's, consoles this is the place!!
By skinnyman9000
Jules wrote:
skinnyman9000 wrote:Windows machines run fine, if you're not stupid with them.

I run CCleaner once a week, removes old crap and tidies the registry, machine still as fast as ever. Power button to desktop in 6 seconds.
6 secs? Video proof or it didn't happen.

Ok so it's actually 11 seconds :lol:

It's 6 secs to the password/pin login screen, but if you turn that option off and boot straight to desktop without logging in it's 11 secs, which is still pretty damn fast.
By cheapskate
smartie wrote:
cheapskate wrote:
smartie wrote:Happens exactly like windows, just not to the same extent and its marginally easier to fix.
It doesn't. The only issue can be if the main drive gets to have less than about 16Gb of free space, but other than that, OSX does not degrade in performance with time, which is unsurprising as it's based on UNIX.
Does.
Doesn't.
By smartie
Googling "mac slow" gives 101,000,000 results :LOL:

Googling "PC slow" gives 226,000,000 results.

Does, just not to the same extent.
By skinnyman9000
I had a quick blast on my mums rMBP yesterday, granted it has a quad core and 16GB RAM, but Christ its fast! Just loaded everything effortlessly.

How come macs handle flash so well? My missus' 2012 macbook air, which on paper has half the CPU power and RAM as my windows machine, loads flash based sites much faster and smoother.
By Adey
Pretty much everyone I know who has an Apple laptop uses it for nothing more than internet & emails :lol:

My computers never go slow. & I use my computer a lot. PS, ID, Internet & gaming. I mostly know what I am doing when it comes to computers & keep them tidy. I also use ccleaner every few months & every 18 months to 2 years I do a clean reinstall. I have also never had a virus.

Anyway, I've decided. I'm going to order this tomorrow.
By cheapskate
smartie wrote:People still use flash!?
Well you have it around backwards. Website developers still use Flash so people who visit websites that have something useful they want to use or see that requires Flash can either use Flash or not get whatever benefit the website offers.

I have seen people say the same about Java. Unfortunately, submitting tax returns electronically in Ireland requires Java. Telling a government department they are out of step and should be using HTML5 doesn't seem to have much of an effect. :Nyu:
By jtc
Windows PCs have historically run like crap after a while because everyone runs as an administrator all the time. Stop that habit and all of a sudden most of the problem goes away. Browser addons, misconfigured AV and software firewalls also shoulder some blame.

OSX, for all its faults, has at least forced "sudo" from the beginning.
By cheapskate
Adey wrote:Pretty much everyone I know who has an Apple laptop uses it for nothing more than internet & emails :lol:

My computers never go slow. & I use my computer a lot. PS, ID, Internet & gaming. I mostly know what I am doing when it comes to computers & keep them tidy. I also use ccleaner every few months & every 18 months to 2 years I do a clean reinstall. I have also never had a virus.

Anyway, I've decided. I'm going to order this tomorrow.
Perhaps it's the company you keep? :ninja:

Nobel Laureate John Mather:

CERN scientists show a laptop image of the LHC, Geneva, on 20 November 2009:

This is from CERN LHC announcement of the discovery of the Higgs Boson. I spot at least 6 Macbooks in this photo.

Think I see at least 9 in this photo:

That room is so full of Macbooks you would think Apple were sponsoring the event. I think it is safe to say some people use Macbooks for more than just facebook and surfing.

NASA Mars mission control room:

It would be much quicker to just count the PC laptops.
By jtc
The above is probably because most of their in-house science software is non-Windows, cygwin is crap and running linux is a pain :lol:
By smartie
cheapskate wrote:
smartie wrote:People still use flash!?
Well you have it around backwards. Website developers still use Flash so people who visit websites that have something useful they want to use or see that requires Flash can either use Flash or not get whatever benefit the website offers.

I have seen people say the same about Java. Unfortunately, submitting tax returns electronically in Ireland requires Java. Telling a government department they are out of step and should be using HTML5 doesn't seem to have much of an effect. :Nyu:
Tiny declining minority on the web these days. Thankfully.
By Magnificent_one
No need for a new topic with the same title.
I now have a VAIO SB series laptop but it's super slow, freezes a lot where i have to hold the powerbutton to restart and the fans are always spinning like crazy the get rid of the heat.
I'm looking for a new one but if i'm looking at specs i can't seem to find a cheapish laptop with at least the same spec... Did stuff just got put on hold since i got it a few years ago?
Do i need a new laptop or would a format be the better option? Easy to do for a non IT guy?
Battery is also worse than when i got it, i think at first is got a batterylife of 6 hours, now i can barely get 1-1,5 hours out of it. But that might be because it's always busy in the background?
If a format is the better option, the batterylife doesn't matter that much, i mostly use it around the house anyway.

Any advise?
By EvoStu
What's the rest of the spec? You could probably gain a new lease of life with a simple SSD install.
By EvoStu
smartie wrote:SSD transformed my 2010 Macbook pro from a slowed down pig to a decent enough laptop again.
Same. Then I added another 4gb ram as well and it did the same again.
By Magnificent_one
current spec:
Intel Core i5 2410m CPU @ 2,3GHz
8GB RAM
280GB HD

Tought about a SSD in the DVD slot so i can keep the HD to store data but no idea how to do it myself. Might have to check if my brother in law can be bothered :)
By mjhamilton
That's a decent processor and you've got a stack of RAM

Get an SSD and do a clean install of windows 10

If you currently have w7 you can upgrade for free and then download the ISO file and install from scratch (just skip the product key screens)
By skinnyman9000
That's what I did with my old HP Envy, that had 4GB and an i5, so I replaced the DVD drive with a 128GB Samsung SSD, and kept the original 500GB HD for storage, transformed it. £30 for a replacement battery probably not a bad shout either
By EvoStu
Magnificent_one wrote:current spec:
Intel Core i5 2410m CPU @ 2,3GHz
8GB RAM
280GB HD

Tought about a SSD in the DVD slot so i can keep the HD to store data but no idea how to do it myself. Might have to check if my brother in law can be bothered :)
That's a fast PC to be fair. SSD will transform it.

You can order the drive bay adapter from newmodeus.com

I've used them several times and they are super reliable and they make caddies for pretty much every major brand.
By Magnificent_one
Cheers guys! Going to look into the ssd option:)
And maybe a new battery to while i'm at it.
Cheers for the link Stu! Found the one i need already 8-) but need i cable to i think?

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]