The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

The nerds hangout. Anything technology related. TV's, phones, PC's, consoles this is the place!!
Adey wrote:What did you buy in the end?

Think I'd stick with LG but the Samsung TVs always look good too. TVs are so cheap lately. We bought an LG 47" LM670t about 3 years ago at £950 (with 5 year warranty) which we love & about 3 months ago my mate bought the same size, not as pretty admittedly, that does all the same stuff for something in the region of £330.

I think we have saved about £500 in electric though. The quoted electric usage for our old 50" Panasonic Plasma was over £200 per year & the new LG we bought was something stupid like £14 per year :lol:
Aren't LG TV's still equipped with crappy tin can speakers?
By khani47
Evostance wrote:

Think I'd stick with LG but the Samsung TVs always look good too. TVs are so cheap lately. We bought an LG 47" LM670t about 3 years ago at £950 (with 5 year warranty) which we love & about 3 months ago my mate bought the same size, not as pretty admittedly, that does all the same stuff for something in the region of £330.

I think we have saved about £500 in electric though. The quoted electric usage for our old 50" Panasonic Plasma was over £200 per year & the new LG we bought was something stupid like £14 per year [emoji38]
I'm sure some come with Harmon Kardon speakers
By smartie
Only really accessible 4K content is the UHD Netflix subscription. So far I have watched House of Cards S3, Sense8(bit meh), Daredevil(probably the best marvel tv show so far) and Better Call Saul. There is also Breaking Bad and some others I forgot. All looks pretty awesome in 4K even though I would assume it has some kind of compression and streams flawlessly.

No movies as far as I can see, on the UK one.

Tried to stream 4K X-Men Days of Future Past(25gig rip) from my Plex Server but the processor just maxed out at a constant 100% transcoding it. Need something beefy like a top of the range i7 processor to transcode 4K. :lol:
By EvoStu
smartie wrote:Only really accessible 4K content is the UHD Netflix subscription. So far I have watched House of Cards S3, Sense8(bit meh), Daredevil(probably the best marvel tv show so far) and Better Call Saul. There is also Breaking Bad and some others I forgot. All looks pretty awesome in 4K even though I would assume it has some kind of compression and streams flawlessly.

Tried to stream 4K X-Men Days of Future Past(25gig rip) from my Plex Server but the processor just maxed out at a constant 100% transcoding it. Need something beefy like a top of the range i7 processor to transcode 4K. [emoji38]
Is Daredevil the TV series good then?
By smartie
EvoStu wrote:
smartie wrote:Only really accessible 4K content is the UHD Netflix subscription. So far I have watched House of Cards S3, Sense8(bit meh), Daredevil(probably the best marvel tv show so far) and Better Call Saul. There is also Breaking Bad and some others I forgot. All looks pretty awesome in 4K even though I would assume it has some kind of compression and streams flawlessly.

Tried to stream 4K X-Men Days of Future Past(25gig rip) from my Plex Server but the processor just maxed out at a constant 100% transcoding it. Need something beefy like a top of the range i7 processor to transcode 4K. [emoji38]
Is Daredevil the TV series good then?
Yeah I thought it was pretty decent.
By Adey
Evostance wrote:

I think we have saved about £500 in electric though. The quoted electric usage for our old 50" Panasonic Plasma was over £200 per year & the new LG we bought was something stupid like £14 per year :lol:
I'm surprised it's got any speakers in it tbh seeing as how thin ours is. I think they are ok though just standard sounding TV speakers. I have never used them because I used an Onkyo HT-X22HDX initially but then just lately treated myself to a Yamaha YSP-2500 which is amazing.
EvoStu wrote:Who uses TV speakers? I don't know a single person who doesn't have an external sound system.
On that basis, let's talk surround sound.

My lounge is due to get refurbished soon and I want to put speaker cable in but:

Should I put the cable on the floor before carpeting, or run it through the ceiling and have wall mounted speakers?

What type of cable do I need? Are there wall plates I can use near the amp etc?
By Adey
Evostance wrote:
EvoStu wrote:Who uses TV speakers? I don't know a single person who doesn't have an external sound system.

My lounge is due to get refurbished soon and I want to put speaker cable in but:

Should I put the cable on the floor before carpeting, or run it through the ceiling and have wall mounted speakers?

Not that I'm a massive fan but Sonos? Only need power cables to the rear speakers. Sounded great when I had a demo.
By Adey
smartie wrote:I just got a soundbar, couldnt be arsed with surround.
Me too. It was a fairly expensive one (£700) but it was worth it.
Adey wrote:
Evostance wrote:

Not that I'm a massive fan but Sonos? Only need power cables to the rear speakers. Sounded great when I had a demo.
That causes more problems as getting power to them is more difficult. Combine that with the inability to ever upgrade them to anything other than Sonos, and it seems a waste of time.
By khani47
Floor speakers I Reckon, if you are going through the trouble of wiring etc then you may aswel not compromise on quality.. Wall speakers are not good as the floor standing speakers (I think)

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]