The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

The nerds hangout. Anything technology related. TV's, phones, PC's, consoles this is the place!!
By Jules
So who's buying one?

I quite fancy one, next step before I just get a mac and go full fanboy. I will be in America when it is released so can get it for about £230, which isn't too bad.

Who already has a smartwatch on here?

I like the idea of the maps app showing your route, cancelling calls while out when they are from someone unimportant and, though it shouldn't be used like this, quick replying to texts driving!
By EvoStu
Have a pebble, does everything it needs to do.

The battery life is epic, whereas you just know the Apple Watch will last 3 hours before needing a charge.

I'd rather put the money towards a proper watch.
By jtc
+1 on anything than the Apple Watch.

It's playing catch up to Pebble and numerous Wear devices. LG have their new "normal" looking G Watch out soon too.

Apple have apparently ordered 5m initial units, so you know they'll sell it by the bucket load. Then, once the initial sheep stage has worn off, they'll just milk an annual update like the iPhone.

Turn by turn on Wear watches (I briefly used a G Watch R) is really useful, so expect that to be a killer feature for the Apple Watch too.

Pebble is also due some Wear love soon too, which will help them maintain sales.
By Jules
I've read the 2.5 hour battery rumour was unfounded, though I am sure it will struggle to beat more than 12/14 hours (less with a lot of use initially)
I like the motorola but that is only android I believe?

The first one will really be a test phase, I don't see it being amazing. Thing is I rarely wear my watch, a nice Rado one (also have a decentish Hugo Boss one for just time telling) but think I will wear this.

230 odd quid is worth a punt for me, so will probably get one anyway.
By Evostance
I've got a Moto 360 which is brilliant, but a touch screen square watch with the detail of the Apple Watch, it sounds like a nightmare. The Moto 360 has some user apps which add touch screen controls, and they can be fiddly as hell, which is why Google kept things very simple - and effective.

Also worth mentioning that there is no custom watch face API for the Apple Watch, so you're tied to what Apple want you to have, as usual. In addition, the health sensors have been pulled from the watch due to "hairy arm inference". They have also ditched a lot of their health sensors too, such as the blood pressure and stress sensor
By EvoStu
Jules wrote:I've read the 2.5 hour battery rumour was unfounded, though I am sure it will struggle to beat more than 12/14 hours (less with a lot of use initially)
I like the motorola but that is only android I believe?

The first one will really be a test phase, I don't see it being amazing. Thing is I rarely wear my watch, a nice Rado one (also have a decentish Hugo Boss one for just time telling) but think I will wear this.

230 odd quid is worth a punt for me, so will probably get one anyway.
That's not what 9to5Mac were reporting. They're saying its just as feared.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/01/22/apple-tar ... pu-inside/
By cheapskate
I hardly wear a watch these days unless driving a good distance where I might want to check the time. I usually just pull my phone out of my pocket if I want to know the time. Save the money for the Apple car that's being rumoured?

£230 is for the bare bones model made of aluminium and without the sapphire screen or any nice bands. You will end up paying more than double that I imagine in reality.
By Jules
cheapskate wrote:I hardly wear a watch these days unless driving a good distance where I might want to check the time. I usually just pull my phone out of my pocket if I want to know the time. Save the money for the Apple car that's being rumoured?

£230 is for the bare bones model made of aluminium and without the sapphire screen or any nice bands. You will end up paying more than double that I imagine in reality.
£300 will be the UK price, I will be buying in dollars.

That post is old Stu; lots of 'sources' and 'we have heard' comments too. Will have to wait and see.
By EvoStu
Jules wrote:
cheapskate wrote:I hardly wear a watch these days unless driving a good distance where I might want to check the time. I usually just pull my phone out of my pocket if I want to know the time. Save the money for the Apple car that's being rumoured?

That post is old Stu; lots of 'sources' and 'we have heard' comments too. Will have to wait and see.
Old? :lol: It was just over 4 weeks old when I posted it. Hardly last year. :roflmao:
By Jules
EvoStu wrote:
Jules wrote:

Old? :lol: It was just over 4 weeks old when I posted it. Hardly last year. :roflmao:
4 weeks is a long time when a product has not been released and is mostly just speculation. Seems it was old, and wrong. :bigthumb:
By cheapskate
Absolutely hillarious. I have seen a fanboy on another forum carrying on about how it's so much better than a gold Rolex because it's new technology. He plans to buy one and keep it unopened as an investment.

For the price of it you could buy 13 oz of gold, which would probably be a better investment.

So Jules, you getting the gold one or the SS with mesh bracelet.?
By jtc
That's some serious cash for a smart watch. It is definitely going to become the nobber alert wristband :lol:
By m1ke
Is it only me who just doesn't understand the idea of these devices and what they're supposed to do?
By cheapskate
m1ke wrote:Is it only me who just doesn't understand the idea of these devices and what they're supposed to do?
The idea behind this device is to make Apple richer - that's it. It accomplishes this by relieving owners of the chore of having to reach into their pocket to remove their iPhone.

I predict the most popular app for this device will be one which lets the owner rig it so it goes off with an alert or three at a future time when the owner is in a social setting. This will allow the owner to interact with their watch and so show it off to people and make sure they notice it.
By cheapskate
No clue. I hardly even wear a watch anymore.
By jtc
I've had both a pebble and an LG "G Watch R". I got fed up with the pebble because it was limited and people were milking the app store as soon as it arrived for basic things. Then I got fed up with the LG because it wasn't actually that useful. The only useful thing I've found with Wear is the integration with maps for turn-by-turn directions - both driving somewhere (so no need to fart about sticking the phone on the windscreen) or walking (i.e. finding a place in central London). Apart from that, I'd always just pick up a mechanical watch that I enjoy wearing and performs the simple tasks of telling the time and timing how long I've been parked for :bigthumb:
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]