The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

The nerds hangout. Anything technology related. TV's, phones, PC's, consoles this is the place!!
By mjhamilton
Here is the big issue I have with the watch

This is the first time that Apple has traded on its image and not its technology

Selling the same device in different cases with different straps at wildly varying pricing is something they have not done before

Apple has always been about everything having a place and there being a place for everything - this has always been their selling point - make products that have a function purpose out of quality materials and design

Now they are simply cashing in on their brand image - £10000 gold version has the same internals as the £350 basic model - no difference at all

Would never have happened if Steve was still around :)

I am still using mine and to be fair it is ok and I am sure it will get better with Os2

As for sales Apple are happy with the numbers but haven't released as they don't want to let the competition know how they are doing
By Jules
It is a want vs a need, I didn't pay for it and not sure I honestly would if someone took mine away and I then had to buy it. I do love it though now I own it but there is so little need for the apple watch. If you have the money to spend then buy one, OS2 will catch it up with some of the better android wearables available now. It also does a lot away from the phone (even more once OS2 comes out) and I find I spend far less time on my phone. A quick message and I can read it to know to reply later, without the watch I open the phone, read the message and then maybe check something else and this is the case with most people. I find I am less inclined to interact with my phone around friends or with my girlfriend as I don't need to quickly see if I have missed any messages or look at my calendar; my watch has not gone off so I don't need to. These little things are impossible to explain until you own it though and see; no try on in the store will do this either. You need to live with it and it is too expensive to buy and see if it is for you, as you can't just take it back. This is the main reason why it has not sold so much, I also just can't see it competing with the people that can afford it, who most likely already have a nice watch. My step dad got his before mine, he never wears it because he has a lot of nice watches, I think he may do now the complications can include the car charge on the face now for beemer, but even that will probably wear off with him. I know the only times he uses it is to show to people because I always get a load of bloody drawings and pics :lol:

Let's see next year, a new watch will see a lot of people picking up cheaper second hand V1's and that will help with the adoption of wearables. Unless android can breach the market better than Apple, but it is unlikely. I might find some data and track it in a viz, I will chuck it on tableau public and share if I do, could be interesting to see wearable adoption rate over the next year to 18 months.
By mjhamilton
To do most of what you layout above you need the phone in range - can't see much of that changing in the future even on Os2

I do agree that I do spend less time on the phone but this also applied when I used my pebble as well

Wearables is still an immature marketplace as people do not know what they want let alone what they actually need - in a lot of cases things are being made simply because they can be made and for no other reason

Apple have the money to dip their toe in the water without risk to them and like most stuff they do it'll probably work out in the end
By Jules
mjhamilton wrote:To do most of what you layout above you need the phone in range - can't see much of that changing in the future even on Os2

I do agree that I do spend less time on the phone but this also applied when I used my pebble as well

Wearables is still an immature marketplace as people do not know what they want let alone what they actually need - in a lot of cases things are being made simply because they can be made and for no other reason

Apple have the money to dip their toe in the water without risk to them and like most stuff they do it'll probably work out in the end
The apps will be able to be used without the phone, plus wifi connection means you will not need it near you from what I understand. Will wait and see though.
By EvoStu
Needs at least two more generations, by which point Apple will have canned it.
By Jules
Only if the wearables market dies, otherwise I can't see why they would.
By EvoStu
Jules wrote:Only if the wearables market dies, otherwise I can't see why they would.
The worst selling product in Apples recent history. Shame.
By mjhamilton
Jules wrote:
mjhamilton wrote:To do most of what you layout above you need the phone in range - can't see much of that changing in the future even on Os2

The apps will be able to be used without the phone, plus wifi connection means you will not need it near you from what I understand. Will wait and see though.
lots of issues with wifi which you'll see when we get there - the device will still depend on the phone for so much

I am still using mine but apps are still flaky and very limited

May improve with new OS but the concept is still limited with battery life and storage
By XxDanoxX
Saw an idiot trying to molest the gates at Euston Station with an apple watch last week and the gates stayed firmly shut, the most ridiculous thing I'd ever seen, I laughed a HUGE belly laugh, slapped my Oyster on the pad and strolled on through.
By Jules
XxDanoxX » 08 Sep 2015 08:10 wrote:Saw an idiot trying to molest the gates at Euston Station with an apple watch last week and the gates stayed firmly shut, the most ridiculous thing I'd ever seen, I laughed a HUGE belly laugh, slapped my Oyster on the pad and strolled on through.
Saw the same thing with someone with an oyster at London Bridge this morning as I strolled through with my watch.
By mjhamilton
WatchOS2 is ok but disappointing - Apple didn't put as much into this as hoped - maybe 2.1 or 3.0
By Jules
mjhamilton » 11 Sep 2015 12:51 wrote:WatchOS2 is ok but disappointing - Apple didn't put as much into this as hoped - maybe 2.1 or 3.0
Do you have it? What is it like loading apps natively? I am quite honestly just looking forward to using my images and customising the view (flight info etc).
By mjhamilton
Had it in dev for a while now - it is better but still not what we hoped

As suspected the native wifi is going to be an issue unless you own the network you are connecting to

Native app loading is fine but in reality doesn't bring anything to the table as you could load from the phone anyway

Battery life seems better which is good and a stability seems better

I think this is the OS that should have come on day 1

More will come but I still think there are a lot of gaps
By Jules
It should have come from day 1 true. I did manage 3 (nearly full) days this week. Charged Friday night and it ran out at 5pm on Monday.
By mjhamilton
1 and 3/4 days is about as good as it gets for me - if I travel it is worse when I get hammered with more notifications and stuff

And I still hate the proprietor charge cable - have to remember to remove from the charge stand when I travel and I keep forgetting to buy another one
By mjhamilton
So far watchOS2 is.......

..... Pretty much the same as the previous one as expected :)
By mjhamilton
Hmmm official 2.0 was released yesterday - so far all its done is ruin the battery life

Was getting 1 1/2 to 2 days but yesterday it was flat by late evening

Since it came off charge this morning at about 8am it's now at 59% after just 2h15m

Anyone else seeing this?

Oh wait a minute no one else was dumb enough to buy one of these :lol:

So alone
By mjhamilton
So it's now 1315 and just hit 10% remaining

There is something up with this new OS

Apparently a factory reset is the fix so off I go with that one
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]