The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

The nerds hangout. Anything technology related. TV's, phones, PC's, consoles this is the place!!
By cpisthedbb
Wonder if anyone can help....when I load my laptop up I get an error message what reads 'a disc read error occurred press Ctrl alt Del to restart'

I know what the problem is, the memory is full as I left it downloading the other day when the hard drive was near its memory limit.

When i turn it on i can't get it to get past this initial screen to start it in safe mode. Anyone got any tricks or ideas to how i can resolve it? Ive googled it and all the solutions involve running software but this is my only laptop so thats not possible- im also not technical so anything involving taking my laptop to bits is out of the question.
By jtc
Boot from a linux or Windows PE live CD/USB drive and delete the downloaded files [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By mjhamilton
Remove the drive and connect to another laptop

From here you can go delete some temp data and unused files

Once done put it back in the system and boot away
By cpisthedbb
jtc wrote:Boot from a linux or Windows PE live CD/USB drive and delete the downloaded files [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]

I downloaded both of these onto a USB stick. I couldn't load anything from my USB drive as the error occurs before this loads up.

I've not got a spare laptop to try removing the hardrive- I'll have to take it into get repaired. was worth asking on here 1st anyway.
By jtc
The whole point is you boot from the usb/cd in the bios.

A computer repair person will likely shaft you for something simple :lol:
By mjhamilton
My way is a lot safer - someone booting from Linux or PE that doesn't know what they are doing can do all sorts of irreparable damage :)
By plasmaman
Booting from disk o/s is the easiest and easier than messing about taking the hard drive out and connecting to another PC to do the same task in deleting files.

Regardless though given you've not much experience all of the suggestions here are probably to much of a sensible challenge.

Find a friend or friend of a friend who can help you and give them a few quid for their assistance. That is your best best.

Sounds like your disk is knackered to me though rather than just full.
By Adey
mjhamilton » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:31 am wrote:Remove the drive and connect to another laptop

From here you can go delete some temp data and unused files

Once done put it back in the system and boot away
This, but I wouldn't think lack of space would make it not boot would it? I know they get well slow with little space left.

Buy a cheapish external HD caddy from Amazon & connect it to another laptop. Then do a disk error check & free up some space as MJ said. Also how big is the drive & how many partitions does it have. I'm only asking because a few weeks back my Mum's laptop was going dead slow because C: was full & yet D: & E: partitions were almost empty with 100GB spare on each. After a bit of mucking around (They are old & live in Thailand) we managed to extend C: with an extra 160GB'ish & it's like a new machine.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]