The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

The nerds hangout. Anything technology related. TV's, phones, PC's, consoles this is the place!!
By danneth
mjhamilton wrote:did you miss the part where the IRS see these as property and not a currency??... for the uneducated this means that you will have to declare and pay taxes on any gains.....

..... now bitcoin (and shitecoin and whatevercoin) are no longer classified as currencies, they are a commodity (I am sure I said this many posts ago) so now you are trading in a commodity that has no substance or actual real world value

With this in mind can you now explain where this can go next other than bang?
I don't think anyone knows where it is going, I read various forums on the subject and there are so many different opinions, questions etc it's mind boggling, like I said way back stu hit the nail on the head for most I know ( me included ) it's a quick buck not a long term thing exactly why I wouldn't go and max the 10k credit card out for hardware.

Did lol at this one though
Dear IRS,

I have X coins stored on Mt Gox, and would love to pay my capital gains tax, but can't due to Mt Gox having all my records locked up.

Would you be so kind as to have a federal judge subpoena their records and let me know what I owe?

Bestest,

John Q. Public
By EvoStu
The killer is the fact every single transaction using virtual currency has to be logged with a time so that gains are calculated at that time. This makes it very difficult for retailers.
By danneth
EvoStu wrote:The killer is the fact every single transaction using virtual currency has to be logged with a time so that gains are calculated at that time. This makes it very difficult for retailers.
Wouldn't they all be logged anyway through the wallets?
By EvoStu
danneth wrote:
EvoStu wrote:The killer is the fact every single transaction using virtual currency has to be logged with a time so that gains are calculated at that time. This makes it very difficult for retailers.
The IRS states that each transaction has to show the gains or losses made on a single transaction based on the exchange rate at the time of transaction.

Effectively they are just making it difficult for retailers. Imagine if you have thousands of transactions per day, it would be an absolute pain in the kahunas!
By Evostance
EvoStu wrote:
danneth wrote:
The IRS states that each transaction has to show the gains or losses made on a single transaction based on the exchange rate at the time of transaction.

Effectively they are just making it difficult for retailers. Imagine if you have thousands of transactions per day, it would be an absolute pain in the kahunas!
Retailers already have this information though as its needed for P&L. It'll all go through their system: Item, Value, Sell Price. Just calculate the difference. No different to retailers who accept multiple currencies. Only thing they might need to change is how they report but it shouldn't be a biggie for any supplier big enough to accept CC
By EvoStu
Evostance wrote:
EvoStu wrote:
danneth wrote:

Retailers already have this information though as its needed for P&L. It'll all go through their system: Item, Value, Sell Price. Just calculate the difference. No different to retailers who accept multiple currencies. Only thing they might need to change is how they report but it shouldn't be a biggie for any supplier big enough to accept CC
They are required to report on every BC transaction at that given point of time. Rather than doing what some companies do and hold onto currency and wait for a change in the rate.

The IRS will make it as difficult as possible for all involved now, just watch.
By mjhamilton
Evostance wrote:
EvoStu wrote:
danneth wrote:

have you seen some of the companies that are using BC??... in come cases they are using it as it is cheaper than a CC system so they are small one man armies

... I personally have not seen a big company that accepts BC to date (but then I haven't been to every company)
By danneth
mjhamilton wrote:
Evostance wrote:
EvoStu wrote:
danneth wrote:

have you seen some of the companies that are using BC??... in come cases they are using it as it is cheaper than a CC system so they are small one man armies

... I personally have not seen a big company that accepts BC to date (but then I haven't been to every company)
What do you class as big company?

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/04/overst ... wo-months/
By mjhamilton
danneth wrote:

not exactly a mainstream highstreet name is it - saw a family owned coffee shop in Brighton that took BC over the counter - how is a company like this going to handle taxation on gains and losses on every transaction (If the HMRC go down the IRS route and prevent claiming BC losses as a tax write off then this will add another issue)
By danneth
mjhamilton wrote:
danneth wrote:

not exactly a mainstream highstreet name is it - saw a family owned coffee shop in Brighton that took BC over the counter - how is a company like this going to handle taxation on gains and losses on every transaction (If the HMRC go down the IRS route and prevent claiming BC losses as a tax write off then this will add another issue)
I thought you said big company, looking at them they look pretty big to me, Scan also accept them I'd say they were pretty "big" - http://www.scan.co.uk/info/bitcoin

I think it will be up to the company as to whether they think it's going to work or not in the long term, I really can't see it being a problem writing the software / systems to work out the transactions for them via the wallet but will they think it's worth it or do they already feel like the IRS, HMRC etc will just do all they can to make sure it isn't a success.
By jtc
Surely crypto currency's main attraction is "mining" a load of coins, then selling them on to mongs for cold hard cash?
By mjhamilton
jtc wrote:Surely crypto currency's main attraction is "mining" a load of coins, then selling them on to mongs for cold hard cash?
bingo

It's called a Ponzi scheme

What really needs to happen is for someone to create a card or module that you could carry around which would negate the need to carry real money

.... Oh wait ... That's a Credit it debit card which has the full backing of the global monetary system with protection and all those important things in place

To me bitcoin is something that naive geeks use to try and make themselves seem cool whilst in reality they are being scammed by the peeps at the to
By Jules
mjhamilton wrote:
jtc wrote:Surely crypto currency's main attraction is "mining" a load of coins, then selling them on to mongs for cold hard cash?
bingo

It's called a Ponzi scheme

What really needs to happen is for someone to create a card or module that you could carry around which would negate the need to carry real money

.... Oh wait ... That's a Credit it debit card which has the full backing of the global monetary system with protection and all those important things in place

To me bitcoin is something that naive geeks use to try and make themselves seem cool whilst in reality they are being scammed by the peeps at the to
Even that is improving https://onlycoin.com/
By danneth
Marqeta ‏@Marqeta 16h

First Debit Card to Convert Cryptocurrency into Cash, Cryptex Card to Launch Across More Than 80 Countries
By mjhamilton
smartie wrote:Its like two people trying to derail the entire bitcoin empire through internet raging. :lol:
and one person joining the party just to raise their post count ;)
By smartie
mjhamilton wrote:
smartie wrote:Its like two people trying to derail the entire bitcoin empire through internet raging. :lol:
You have not posted a ranting ponzi scheme post for a few days, slacking.
By mjhamilton
smartie wrote:
mjhamilton wrote:
you have not posted something pointless and meaningless for a while

..... Oh wait
By Kingston
So who is signing up for a cryptex card? Or can you only get one if your holding the current flavour of coin?
By smartie
mjhamilton wrote:
smartie wrote:
mjhamilton wrote:
you have not posted something pointless and meaningless for a while

..... Oh wait
Thanks for doing it for me.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]