The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

The nerds hangout. Anything technology related. TV's, phones, PC's, consoles this is the place!!
Omni wrote:Yeah but by the time i've bought one of those Pi's and a case for it and finished titting around with weird OS's that i've never used before, i'll be half way to the price of an Apple TV which will be working 5 mins out of the box. And since my setup is almost exclusively Apple, seems the more sensible choice.
makes sense
Evostance wrote:
mjhamilton wrote:
gatecrasher3 wrote:Apple TV without a jailbreak is indeed garbage however an ATV2 with a Plex media server is fantastic.
Then it is no longer atv2
Plex isn't as flexible as serviio. You have to mess about with profiles to get devices working etc. Serviio has the majority covered out the box
I've not used Serviio so I can't comment but other than running the jailbreak on ATV, installing Plex on it and then Plex Server on the server it was plug and play as far as I recall.

Either way as mentioned good write which I am sure will come in handy.
Omni wrote:Because...

Anyway how can DLNA not be plug n play? Since its a multicast protocol it should always 'just work' unless you have some weird subnetted home network.

I think he was saying why do you need ATV at all when your TV does DNLA natively??.. I think anyway
mjhamilton wrote:
Omni wrote:Because...

Anyway how can DLNA not be plug n play? Since its a multicast protocol it should always 'just work' unless you have some weird subnetted home network.

I think he was saying why do you need ATV at all when your TV does DNLA natively??.. I think anyway
Yep! No point in wasting £100 on something that you already have!
Still not quite seeing the benefit of this Rasberry Pi thing, which is a shame because I almost fancy buying one to have a play with.

So you can buy the device for £25 or thereabouts, seems a bargain.

But then really I also need an SD card, a Keyboard, a Wireless adapter (or run ethernet which I don't have behind my TV) a power adapter, a USB hub, a case...isn't it now becoming slightly less of a bargain?
Omni wrote:Still not quite seeing the benefit of this Rasberry Pi thing, which is a shame because I almost fancy buying one to have a play with.

But then really I also need an SD card, a Keyboard, a Wireless adapter (or run ethernet which I don't have behind my TV) a power adapter, a USB hub, a case...isn't it now becoming slightly less of a bargain?
You can use it for lots of other things BTW. And if you already have a dlna client there's no advantage
smartie wrote:Pi was designed to get people a cheap computer to play with and learn about computers/programming. Not really as an out the box media player, though it can do that well. :smile:
That's what I'm doing :smile:
Omni wrote:Still not quite seeing the benefit of this Rasberry Pi thing, which is a shame because I almost fancy buying one to have a play with.

once up and running you do not need a kb/ms and it can be wireless.. I have a stack of SD cards just sitting around at home along with the other bits anyhow
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]