The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

The nerds hangout. Anything technology related. TV's, phones, PC's, consoles this is the place!!
By trancem
Do you think I should upgrade anything while I'm at it? I recently had to get a new PSU

OCZ CoreXStream 500W PSU
Cant remember what mobo, some Gigabyte one
AMD Athlon Dual Core 4200+
WD Caviar 250GB Sata Drive
Radeon HD 5450 1GB Card
2GB Corsair RAM

will I notice a difference if I get an SSD and upgrade the RAM?
By Mart
For playing CS only, no. I'm sure I played CS back in the day with a PC spec lower than that. If you intended on playing more modern stuff you would need to upgrade all of it bar the PSU which would be OK for decent budget end gfx cards.

SSD's make a massive difference to the load times on absolutely everything from firing up a browser to loading Windows. You would think you had fed your system speed from just the SSD upgrade it does stuff so much faster.
You could get a 4GB or 8GB dual channel set of RAM for dirt cheap, but check first which frequencies your mobo supports.
By trancem
Mart wrote:For playing CS only, no. I'm sure I played CS back in the day with a PC spec lower than that. If you intended on playing more modern stuff you would need to upgrade all of it bar the PSU which would be OK for decent budget end gfx cards.

SSD's make a massive difference to the load times on absolutely everything from firing up a browser to loading Windows. You would think you had fed your system speed from just the SSD upgrade it does stuff so much faster.
You could get a 4GB or 8GB dual channel set of RAM for dirt cheap, but check first which frequencies your mobo supports.
Aye I know it wont make a difference for CS. this pc is perfect for CS, loads maps up instantly, 100fps, etc.

may just get a ssd for windows load times.
By trancem
Just bagged the BenQ XL2410T, it was on ebay 2nd hand for £170, after abit of negotating I've got it for £150 posted! 4-5 months old, comes with all cables, box, full warranty, warranty book, cd's manuals etc.

chuffed :-D
By Geno
GO was entertaining until an update over a month ago which broke the ability to join 5v5 games from a private lobby which means that for the last month I've been unable to play this way. Since I've got three mates who play and we'd all rather play this way than dick around trying to all jump in the same random public server we've basically not played at all in about 6 weeks. There have been two updates since it broke which have both included lines in the fix log saying that the issue has been sorted when it hasn't. I'm getting mightily hacked off with Valve.

1.6 is better of course but I do genuinely think GO will end up good even if it is a bit of a dog at the moment.
By mikeface
Played it a bit last night, seems pretty good, just reminds me a bit of Source which I didn't really like.

There seems to be an annoying bug at the moment with it. Which is if you join a server that has a MOTD (Message of the Day) message that you need to click OK to, sometimes it doesn't appear.

If the MOTD message appears, you click OK and your fine, but if it doesn't appear, you will get the cursor but you wont be able to select a team of move around when you spawn. What you need to do, is click where the OK button should be if it was showing, in the bottom right hand corner. This when then get rid of the cursor and work properly.
By Mart
smartie wrote:Battlefield 3 > 20 year old shooter rehash.
That. Played a couple of hours of 1.6 with Wilkeh a while back. I quickly realised 2 things:

I'm sh-t at old school shooters
Old school shooters are sh-t
By Wilkeh
Completely given up with Global now as it's absolutely crap, been playing a lot of cspromod instead at quite a high level.

Competed in the OCLeague Europe last night with a few pro teams in it. Managed to get the quarter finals and ended up losing 16-14 :sad:

The match was streamed live with a commentator. Didn't have the best game though, managed to pull off 2 TK's :lol: It's bloody nerve racking when there's a few hundred people watching you! Still quite unfamiliar with promod models.

The stream is here if you want a look

Fast forward to 1:21:27 where I have a round of TK'ing my team mate and then just about winning a 1on1 situation. It's a good job I didn't lose that round ha :cool:
By Wilkeh
m1ke wrote:FUUUUUUUUUUUCCCKKKK.

Just found this, it appears somebody made a movie of me from my 1.6 days.

[youtubenew]
[/youtubenew]
That's well before 1.6

Looks like 1.3/1.4 that does :smile:
By m1ke
I didn't make it.

I rarely recorded on public games, most of those kills are from mixes.

The mixes I used to have with 4K, SK, NiP, mTw etc were a little more difficult.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]