The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

The nerds hangout. Anything technology related. TV's, phones, PC's, consoles this is the place!!
By EvoStu
Ali wrote:Just to let you all know, the Data Transfer Utility is sh1te. It persistently fails if you have so much as one corrupt file, usually a game save. It won't repair it, it won't skip it and it won't tell you which one it f**king is :bad-words:
Oh dear. Is there no wired cable solution like on the XBox?
By Ali
It is wired Stu, via the ethernet ports, but the transfer will fail if you have a corrupt file, and figuring out what one is almost impossible. I ended up transferring the non protected saves manually, deleting those and then deleting the game data (installed data and updates) bar the one's I wanted to keep (special editions and user created content like LBP and Modnation). Thankfully, the rest transferred fine but it would have been so much better if it had identified the corrupt file and just asked if I wanted to skip it! Great idea, terrible execution.
By Lucky7
Trying to back up my PS3 onto a Harddrive to transfer onto my new PS3. When I select backup it it just says...

Connect storage media at the save destination.

My Harddrive is connected to the USB port at the front.
By karl
have you formatted the drive in FAT32?
By Lucky7
How do I make it do that, Also what does it mean. I have all my photos, Music etc on aswell. Will that be deleted?
By obbzi
Jake wrote:How do I make it do that, Also what does it mean. I have all my photos, Music etc on aswell. Will that be deleted?

I would buy another USB hard drive and use that solely for your PS3 back up so you don't lose all your other date (photo's etc) by formatting your current HDD
By karl
if it's a big enough HD, just partition a reasonable size of it and format that in FAT32 leaving your current data on the old partition
By Lucky7
karl wrote:if it's a big enough HD, just partition a reasonable size of it and format that in FAT32 leaving your current data on the old partition
Tried to do that but it wouldn't give me the option to change to FAT format.

I googled it and found a thing saying you can open cmd and type in a command that would format it to FAT, So I did that and left it formatting over night.

This morning I have the message Drive to large to format into FAT. :bad-words:

Any ideas?
By Lucky7
Right. External Harddrive has been fired and replaced with young cool USB stick.

Now backing up and it says 3hours 30mins. going be a long day.
By EagleCTR
A good guide there Ali, and my installation of a new WD 320GB HDD was going well, even had only one sticky HDD screw holding the old drive in. Trouble however brewed when I switched the PS3 back on after installing the drive. Instead of getting the message asking if I wanted to format the new HDD, I got the following instead.

The system software cannot be run correctly. Please press the PS button to try the system. If the system cannot be restarted, the system partition hard disc must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software.
Insert storage media that contains the update data of version 3.50 or later, and then press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time.

After a bit of searching I found a solution that worked for me. Using a small USB pen drive formatted to FAT32 I downloaded the latest update from Sony's PS3 website (at the time of writing 3.50). I then created a folder on the pen drive called PS3, then in that folder created another called UPDATE. It was in this folder that I placed the PS3 update file. Apparently the folder names need to be in capitals.
After plugging the pen drive into the USB port on the front of the PS3, I pressed the START and SELECT buttons as instructed. After a short wait the PS3 then asked if I wanted to format the HDD. I then followed the rest of Ali's guide.
Hopefully this will help any peeps on here who come across the same problem!
Like Ali I also used a WD external HDD to transfer my backed up data.
By juz1
there is a way.............i havnt read the full thread just read bits,but i dont know if im allowed to say on the forum?
By Ali
Just an addendum. If you're just replacing the HDD in the same PS3 Slim, you now need to have the PS3 operating system on your external drive under folders PS3>UPDATE. You can download it from Sony's official sites.

Current link here:

http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/s ... r-4-00%29/

If you do backup and it seems to stop at one point, don't panic. Leave it. It took mine 2 days to fully reinstall 230Gb when I went from 250 to 500Gb, but it gets there in the end!!!
By karl
2 days to restore 250gb? Sony are so not a software company, I can do that in 6 hours or less across a network using Windows :lovl:
By Ali
The data is heavily compressed and it actually validates every download which, I guess, is why it takes f**king ages.
By ShaunCTR
Right,

My lauch day 40gb PS3 is full, no surprise, so I need to upgrade the HD or buy a new 320gb slim.

I'm utterly cr@p with technology so...

If I was to buy an external HD to back up my files (providing it's formatted to FAT32), plug into my current PS3, remove old HD, install new WD 320gb HD, reinstall all data off external HD and....... hey presto!!! or not?!!!

Would this work?
By obbzi
Did my HDD on my 40GB launch day PS3 a few months ago, upgraded to 320GB it really is easy, must be if I could do it!

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]