The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

The nerds hangout. Anything technology related. TV's, phones, PC's, consoles this is the place!!
By Superbully
Jules86 wrote:Pffft chumps with your fancy plasmas that cant display images without breaking

FTW
mine's displaying lovely and it's not broken either :stfu:

:lol: :lol:
By Geno
Geno wrote:
Ali wrote:........but the 85 has better sound abilities and TruSurround 3D (ie faked using the front speakers)..............
Ali - a stupid question if I may: The TruSurround seems to jack the price on Panasonic sets by ~£150. If someone were to use an external 5.1 or 7.1 system, can the standard cheaper TV be used just as effectively since the TV speakers would not be in use or is there something fancy in the innards of the more expensive TV that would make a difference?
Ali? :sad:
By Red
Does anyone else not think it's important to have 1080p?

I could tell the difference when I saw a comparison, but once I got about 3 metres away (they were 42" sets), it really wasn't noticable (for me anyway).
By m1ke
Red wrote:Does anyone else not think it's important to have 1080p?

I could tell the difference when I saw a comparison, but once I got about 3 metres away (they were 42" sets), it really wasn't noticable (for me anyway).
The difference between 720p and 1080p isn't noticable over about 6ft away, it's only when you get really close you notice the extra detail.
By Ali
Geno wrote:
Geno wrote:
Ali wrote:........but the 85 has better sound abilities and TruSurround 3D (ie faked using the front speakers)..............
Ali - a stupid question if I may: The TruSurround seems to jack the price on Panasonic sets by ~£150. If someone were to use an external 5.1 or 7.1 system, can the standard cheaper TV be used just as effectively since the TV speakers would not be in use or is there something fancy in the innards of the more expensive TV that would make a difference?
Ali? :sad:
Woops, sorry dude. Forgot all about this thread, The answer is yes. The PZ81 and 85 are identical for teh picture and software. The PZ80 has the same screen but lacks 24fps compatabillity. The PZ8 is to be avoided as it has worse contrast ratio and less colour graduations. The PZ800 is too expensive for some marginally improved sound.
By karl
Red wrote:Does anyone else not think it's important to have 1080p?

well, it is the way forward, slight future proofing, and it's better to have than not, would you still buy a DVD player now that Blu-ray players are available and not too much more expensive?
By Ali
robsonj wrote:So overall whats your opinion on your new telly then Ali, took you long enough to get a decent one!!!!
It's bloody brilliant :thumbup: Glad I waited for a 42" 1080p plasma to become affordable though. It does make a big difference to the PS3 at least. If I hadn't waited, I'd be kicking myself now.
By EvoStu
I think I'm going to punt for a 42" Panny V10 when the new range is out. I would go for a Z1 46" but its far too big.

EvoStu.
By Ali
Most excellent choice Stu. THough do wait for the reviews just in case they do a Sony 4000 series motion blur level cock up (hence why the 4500 series appeared rather rapidly) :wink:
By EvoStu
Ali wrote:Most excellent choice Stu. THough do wait for the reviews just in case they do a Sony 4000 series motion blur level ham up (hence why the 4500 series appeared rather rapidly) :wink:
I don't think Panny will make any errors mate simply because they are the Daddys now in the Plasma world. They are pretty close to perfection.

EvoStu.
By cheapskate
Panny picture quality fools cat.

We were watching Yellowstone on the BBC last night and the cat came into the room and started staring at the screen avidly. He then started to stalk some birds that were shown around a carcass. We had to restrain him from trying to pounce into the screen. He wouldn't take no and climbed up on the table the panel is on and again, made as if he wanted to get into the set and get at the birds.

We removed him but he was persistent. We ended up tossing him out of the room and shutting the door.

If that isn't the ultimate accolade of picture quality... :-D

I couldn't really blame him as the image was so 3D it really was more like looking through a window than at a TV screen.

The TV guide said the Yellowstone series was shot in HD, but it was shown on BBC1 and not BBC HD. It looked fantastic as it was, but I would have loved to see it on the HD channel.
By karl
Dazza_TypeR wrote:Do you after do all this with LCDs aswel or is it just Plasma models?

you trying to say something? :wink:
By cheapskate
Dazza_TypeR wrote:Do you after do all this with LCDs aswel or is it just Plasma models?
You don't even have to do it with the Panny Plasmas I reckon. Just switched ours on and started using it. I think it must be folklore left over from the early days of Plasma evolution, the same way you get people who still think you have to pump the accelerator a couple times before starting a car and then let it warm up for 5 minutes before driving off, even though it is 30-40 years since they were necessary.
By Red
cheapskate wrote:
You don't even have to do it with the Panny Plasmas I reckon. Just switched ours on and started using it. I think it must be folklore left over from the early days of Plasma evolution, the same way you get people who still think you have to pump the accelerator a couple times before starting a car and then let it warm up for 5 minutes before driving off, even though it is 30-40 years since they were necessary.
Screen burn still occurs, but it disappears pretty quickly afterwards. If you leave Sky+ on pause for 30 minutes on our panasonic plasma (this isn't me by the way - it's my wife!), the pause logo can be seen for about 15-30 seconds afterwards if the image on the screen is in contrast to it. Like I said though, once those cells start displaying other colours it disappears almost straight away.
By Ali
The break in disc does help stabilise the picture faster and also gets through the phosphor lag period more quickly as well.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]