The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Tips for getting that Show Car shine.
Ey up guys, getting bits ready to give the FN2 the first full "detail" of the year. So far I've just been giving it a wash and dry as the weather has been crap but I want to give it a proper good clean now. I've got many of my products ready, but all my applicators and bits and bobs are pretty old so I'm looking for some advice and abit of a shopping list really on what to get?

I want to buy everything again, new wash mitts, applicator pads, drying towels (already have a fairly new cleanyourcar huge "fluffy" drying towel) and cloths to buff off the polishes, and brushes/cloths to clean the alloy wheels. What do you guys recommend and where from?

I've got most of my products ready. I'm a complete noob so if anyone thinks I should ditch any of the items for something else they recommend then feel free to advise me! This is the order that I will be carrying out the wash so if I'm doing anything wrong please let me know!

Wash car with Meguiars Nxt Generation Car Wash or Meguiars Gold Class Car Shampoo and Conditioner
Clay with Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit (Do I need to dry the car after wash before claying? or is it ok to clay on wet car?)
Wash again?
Polish with Autoglym Super Resin Polish or Gtechniq P1 which i'm about to order
Wax with Autoglym High Definition Wax

I also have Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection - Do I need to apply this? If so, before or after waxing?

I've also got Autoglym Wheel Cleaner and Wheel Sealant - Can I buy anything better than this?

Thanks for any help!
Most of the stuff you'll ever need is on cleanyourcar. Well, that's where I got most of my products from. Pretty sure there's a discount code lying around as well.

Use a snow foam lance if you can afford one, they're actually really good.

That seems like the standard method - rinse, wash, clay, polish, wax (indoors preferably or away from direct sunlight)
These are the products I use and that I can highly recommend all of them:
Wash
Bodywork: Valet Pro, Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo, any microbe mitts, cleanyourcar fluffy towel.
Wheels: Bilberry wheel cleaner, Meguiars High Gloss Tyre Gel, Poorboys Wheel Sealant
Exhaust: Autosol Metal Polish
Plastic trim: Autoglym Bumper Care
Interior: Poorboys Natural Look Dressing, Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care, Woolite for the seats (check on YouTube, very clean seats)
Clay - Autoclay, Dodo Juice Born Slippy, some micro fibre cloths.
Polish - DA Autoglym G220, Menzerna polishes and pads.
Wax - Autoglym HD Wax or Collinite 915 - 2 to 3 coats should last a good 4-6 months.
And to finish it off, a California Scent Air Freshener put in the cubbyhole behind the handbrake.

That's all I can remember. All this process takes the best part of almost a full day on a weekend on Sunday but I only do it once every summer and the results are totally worth it :cool:
smartie wrote:
Evilwoo wrote:a clay mitt wtf? since when?
Reasonably new, gets good write ups on detailing forum, not tried it yet but appears to be much easier and quicker than clay barring. :smile:
There are various ones around, clay cloths, clay mitts. Going to try it soon.
Sweet, thanks for the info - does sound like a good idea.. I think... its the 'kneading' part of the traditional stuff that annoys me :-D

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]