The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Tips for getting that Show Car shine.
By ShaunCTR
What's the best product for removing swirls on a cosmic?, I don't have a PC polisher so the product would have to be applied and removed by hand.

Thanks in advance

Shaun
By ShaunCTR
Arrrrrrr that seems decent stuff I'm using Poor Bhoys black hole stuff ATM
By *nub*
ShaunCTR wrote:Arrrrrrr that seems decent stuff I'm using Poor Bhoys black hole stuff ATM
poor boys is just a regular polish AFAIK with fillers that will reduce the appearance of swirls, basically cover them up but won't get rid of them alone. but Gtechniq P1 is an actual abrasive or compound polish or whatever they're called that can actually be used for paint correction to remove swirls from clear coat.
By *nub*
I didnt read your OP but if you don't wanna spend £80 or so on a DA polisher kit with polish then what bluntcap said is what you need. takes a lot longer though!
By ShaunCTR
*nub* wrote:I didnt read your OP but if you don't wanna spend £80 or so on a DA polisher kit with polish then what bluntcap said is what you need. takes a lot longer though!
No worries bud, it's not so much spending the money on a DA it's the fact I haven't a fucking clue what I'm doing with one!! :P
By *nub*
ShaunCTR wrote:
*nub* wrote:I didnt read your OP but if you don't wanna spend £80 or so on a DA polisher kit with polish then what bluntcap said is what you need. takes a lot longer though!
No worries bud, it's not so much spending the money on a DA it's the fact I haven't a fucking clue what I'm doing with one!! :P
it;s not that difficult and with a DA theres little no risk. you could press it on your paint work four hours and not do any damage
By Lewis.
In my experience you can never get the same corrective results by hand as with a rotary polisher. I got a Makita for Xmas a few years ago and it's great. I use the 3m polishing system. It is pricey to get the gear but once you have it you're sorted. And it changes a car dramatically when you carry out a full paint correction. Where are you based? Personally if I were you I'd pay a detailer to go over it with a clay bar then a da/rotary polisher to remove/lessen the imperfections. Then you'll need to wash it by hand to maintain the finish. It's tough when you get an eye for detail as you notice imperfections with everything. My honda had a sh-t ton of swirls and I've pretty much got them all out with my equipment. I will wait until summer to do full correction though as there are some deeper marks that require further attention.
By Lewis.
Ps. With a rotary there is a learning curve and you can trash the paint so do your research before getting stuck in if you go that route. Always start using the least aggressive pad and polish combo!!
By ShaunCTR
I live in Hull mate and tbh don't trust anyone with my car and yes I appreciate it's a 10 year old Honda but still. See I have no clue what pads to use nor what grade (if that's what's it's called) products to use. I believe there's different steps with regards to products but that's where my knowledge stops :-|
By smartie
Buy some gear, watch some youtube vids, try it out. It isn't that hard. :smile:

Will cost you around 200 quid(roughly) for all the bits you need though. So you are approaching the cost of having a good detailer fix it for you.
By *nub*
You can buy a basic kit with 3 pads and polishes necessary for £89 or so ? Got mine from cleanyourcar.co.uk. I find getting rid of scratches easier as removing swirls requires more technique and a proper clean pad etc or you just reinflict them but I'm always too lazy and in theory removing swirls should be quicker as ur removing less clear coat isn't it !
By smartie
*nub* wrote:You can buy a basic kit with 3 pads and polishes necessary for £89 or so ? Got mine from cleanyourcar.co.uk. I find getting rid of scratches easier as removing swirls requires more technique and a proper clean pad etc or you just reinflict them but I'm always too lazy and in theory removing swirls should be quicker as ur removing less clear coat isn't it !
DAS 6 on its own is 85 quid. Maybe an offer?

Just had a look and I got a load of other random sh-t that pushed it up to 240. :lol:
By *nub*
Oh I see that now. dunno if it was on offer, im sure I bought it as a kit for around £80... was years ago though :scratch:
By *nub*
ok checked my order history and it was a bit more

DAS-6 Dual Action Polisher - Menzerna Intro. Kit
DAS6-MIK 1 £109.95
By Lewis.
It can be confusing to start, but there are plenty of good guides on detailing world. That's why I chose the colour co-ordinated 3M system as you can't go wrong. There are are however loads of other cheaper and possibly better combos to go with. Get yourself joined up on detailing world it's good!
By ShaunCTR
If anyone is willing and they get a spare 5 mins could someone link me to a safe DA starter kit please?
By smartie
All the large supplies sell them, have a look around for deals.

Civic paint is "soft" iirc? So anything with the appropriate pads/polish for soft paint.
By ShaunCTR
Lewis. wrote:I'll have a look later on for you dude and see what I can find.
Cheers bud :salut:
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]