The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Tips for getting that Show Car shine.
By bluntcap
Came across this and found it really interesting, hope it's not a repost as it was from 2008/2009.

Fair play to the fella for actually following it right through.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=178666

A run down of what is in the thread.

A fella started off with these waxs to test, the test started in 30th June 2008
List of waxs:

Swissvax Divine
Swissvax Mystery
Swissvax Best of Show
Swissvax Concourso
Swissvax Saphir
Swissvax Onyx
***** Royale
***** Vintage
***** Glasur
***** Carbon
Collinite 845IW
Collinite 915
Collinite 476s
Nattys Blue
Nattys White
Rubbish Boys Orginal
Rubbish Boys Dodo Juice
Dodo Super Natural
Dodo Blue Velvet
Dodo Purple Haze
Dodo Rainforest Rub
Vic Concours (red)
Autoglym High Definition Wax
Finish Klare Pink Wax
Espuma Revive
Autosmart Cherry Glaze
Meguiars NXT

He added the wax's to the side of a horse lorry, in even squares, the lorry was washed while the waxs were on and everytome it was the ares were inspected to see which waxs were still there......

On 26.7.08 (1 month later) he checked them and found that
Both Autosmart Cherry Glaze and the Espuma Revive have all but failed

Next update Start of Sept 08, all these waxs have failed:
Finish Kare Pink Wax
NXT Liquid
Dodo Blue Velvet
Dodo Rainforest Rub, and
Dodo Supernatural.

Next update 8.10.08 - end ish of month three.
No real drop out's but he was keeping an eye on a few of the wax's....
1- Nattys White
2- Nattys Blue
3 - AG HD wax
4- Swissvax Onyx
and.....

5- Collinite 476s!! I'm gob smacked to say the least!

Next update was 1.11.08.Drop outs? no, we are still seeing protection from those remianing, although I have seen an increase in the number of waxes which must be watched very carefully at the next review. These include:

NXT Paste wax
Victoria Concours
Nattys white
Nattys Blue
Z Royale
Z Glasur
Z Carbon
Swissvax Onyx
Swissvax Saphir.

All wxes now stand at four months durability.

Review, 12th January 2009:After 6 and 1/2 months, the following waxes are still protecting the paintwork:

Autoglym Hi Def
Collinite 915 Marque D'Elegance
Nattys White & Blue
RaceGlaze 55
Swissvax Divine, Mystery, BoS and Concourso
Victoria Concours
Zymol Vintage and Glasur

So there you have it, my final list of what lasted over six months in very extreme conditions too.
Last edited by bluntcap on Wed May 19, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By chris wheela
Brill thread! AG HD wax kept up with the big boys, plus you can buy it from Halfords, so I reckon i'll purchase that, Cheers for the link, A great comparison, and what an effort from the guy :salut: legend
By brucelee11271940
chris wheela wrote:Brill thread! AG HD wax kept up with the big boys, plus you can buy it from Halfords, so I reckon i'll purchase that, Cheers for the link, A great comparison, and what an effort from the guy :salut: legend
My pics in my thread "ohhh thats a shiny CTR" are using the Auto HD was, set me back £40 but lasts for ages, as only thin layers needed, really good stuff.
By chris wheela
brucelee11271940 wrote:
chris wheela wrote:Brill thread! AG HD wax kept up with the big boys, plus you can buy it from Halfords, so I reckon i'll purchase that, Cheers for the link, A great comparison, and what an effort from the guy :salut: legend
My pics in my thread "ohhh thats a shiny CTR" are using the Auto HD was, set me back £40 but lasts for ages, as only thin layers needed, really good stuff.
I'l have a look dude, cheers
By Sp1
bluntcap wrote:Came across this and found it really interesting, hope it's not a repost as it was from 2008/2009.

Fair play to the fella for actually following it right through.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=178666
Good post fella, never seen this. It's interesting to see the study focus on longevity rather than quality of finish and some of the comments from the chaps on there. Highlights the fact that it's an lsp and the visual quality of finish is more to do with the prep work than the wax contrary to popular opinion :thumbup:
By bluntcap
I'm glad you guys like'd the post :thumbup:

I've been using HD wax myself even before I saw this. I recently spoke to a local car shop owner who WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND HD wax......after reading this I have no idea why :scratch: The stuff lasts very long and gives a great shine.....I certainly won't be changing anyway :lol:
By brucelee11271940
bluntcap wrote:I'm glad you guys like'd the post :thumbup:

I've been using HD wax myself even before I saw this. I recently spoke to a local car shop owner who WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND HD wax......after reading this I have no idea why :scratch: The stuff lasts very long and gives a great shine.....I certainly won't be changing anyway :lol:
Some of the best pros even use this wax, its really good stuff. I noticed as well the day after i waxed te car with a cople of coats it rained. The rain nicely beaded on top, went to work, came back, the water had dried up, instead of it leaving water marks it was just as good as before. Its like it never rained, comparing it next to my dad car which also got washed but not waxed, it was a huge difference.
By bluntcap
brucelee11271940 wrote:
bluntcap wrote:I'm glad you guys like'd the post :thumbup:

Some of the best pros even use this wax, its really good stuff. I noticed as well the day after i waxed te car with a cople of coats it rained. The rain nicely beaded on top, went to work, came back, the water had dried up, instead of it leaving water marks it was just as good as before. Its like it never rained, comparing it next to my dad car which also got washed but not waxed, it was a huge difference.
Yea 100% mate, I can't understand why this guy slated it, he's really really into his car care aswell and Ive bought stuff off him for years :scratch: Maybe just trying to sell me some of his gear instead of me going somewhere else :lol: Might try the Raceglaze 55 when the HD wax runs out it's in the top 6-7 aswell.
By Heyhoe
Wish i had not have read that, just bought some Dodo Juice Blue Velvet for my NHB :( Oh well, i'm sure it will still be pretty good.
By dandemoraliser
impressive that

final results/££ for those who can't be bothered to read.

AG HD - £25-30
Collinite 915 - £25
Nattys £15-£18
Raceglaze £55-60
SV Divine £1500, Mystery £335 , BoS and Concourso £135
Vic Concours - £20-25
Z Vintage £2500, Glasur £100

suggest some are above some budgets :shock:
By bluntcap
Cheers for that Dan a good idea getting the list up, I'll do a list of all the wax's that were used and which ones failed at which intervals :thumbup:
By bluntcap
JayA wrote:Good thread mate, well done :WOOT :thumbup:
jj0201 wrote:nice one blunty very good find :thumbup:
im just in the process of picking cleaning/detailing stuff.
so thank you kind sir :salut:
Cheers guys, Im glad it's a help :thumbup:

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]