The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Tips for getting that Show Car shine.
By beefwilder
DANCTRs-o-t wrote:
beefwilder wrote:AG High Def all the way! Been using it for a few years now and have had absolutely no reason to try anything else!
Easy application, Great shine and lasts ages!
Still on the same tub too, so its really good value for money at £45(ish) for the "boxed set" :thumbup:

It's poo-hot on the plastics and windows aswell! I don't bother using anything else other than tyre gel.
TBH, i've never even thought about doing the windows and plastics with it! I've pretty much got the full autoglym range, give or take, so i use a different product on each part of the car. But if High Def is good for the whole lot might just give it a try!!
By mini bilko
From a detailers perspective, I can honestly say that there are better waxes and sealants out there than HD. I know this thread is about the best wax, so I will stay on course with that, and maybe write a sealant vs wax thread another time.... The HD is good, I offer it as a standard form of protection on all my details, but also offer "upgrades". The reason I use it is for its durability. It seems idiot proof to apply, but only to those who haven't much experience with other products. For instance, the instructions state to allow it to cure for around 20mins - from several applications and various trials, it works better when left for ~30 or 40mins.. This isn't always ideal when trying to get a car out of the door in time (from my perspective) or because of the intermittent weather we have when working outside. The looks it offer are good for a wax of its price, but there are some higher end waxes which look better, but may not last as long. Just for reference aswell, I have seen as many as 8mths protection from a single application of the HD wax when used in conjunction with the HD cleanser :)

Some waxes go on and off in 10-15mins, some sealants even faster, and offer rivalled durability, and in some cases better optical qualities. Take a look round before purchasing is all I'd say.
By DANCTRs-o-t
beefwilder wrote:
DANCTRs-o-t wrote:
beefwilder wrote:AG High Def all the way! Been using it for a few years now and have had absolutely no reason to try anything else!
Easy application, Great shine and lasts ages!
Still on the same tub too, so its really good value for money at £45(ish) for the "boxed set" :thumbup:

It's poo-hot on the plastics and windows aswell! I don't bother using anything else other than tyre gel.
TBH, i've never even thought about doing the windows and plastics with it! I've pretty much got the full autoglym range, give or take, so i use a different product on each part of the car. But if High Def is good for the whole lot might just give it a try!!

It works pretty well to be honest dude,especially on the windows.
By Superbully
bluntcap wrote:
Superbully wrote:
dandemoraliser wrote:Zymol Vintage £2500
£2500 for some wax :shock: are you feckin roger moore! :shock:
Don't be so cheap :P
says a student :roll:
By bornlucky1
mini bilko wrote:From a detailers perspective, I can honestly say that there are better waxes and sealants out there than HD. I know this thread is about the best wax, so I will stay on course with that, and maybe write a sealant vs wax thread another time.... The HD is good, I offer it as a standard form of protection on all my details, but also offer "upgrades". The reason I use it is for its durability. It seems idiot proof to apply, but only to those who haven't much experience with other products. For instance, the instructions state to allow it to cure for around 20mins - from several applications and various trials, it works better when left for ~30 or 40mins.. This isn't always ideal when trying to get a car out of the door in time (from my perspective) or because of the intermittent weather we have when working outside. The looks it offer are good for a wax of its price, but there are some higher end waxes which look better, but may not last as long. Just for reference aswell, I have seen as many as 8mths protection from a single application of the HD wax when used in conjunction with the HD cleanser :)

Some waxes go on and off in 10-15mins, some sealants even faster, and offer rivalled durability, and in some cases better optical qualities. Take a look round before purchasing is all I'd say.
Why dont you actually list what you would personally use?

For the ultimate in durabilty and shine combined you should really be using a sealant and a wax in my experience.

I also use a range of waxes, dodo, smartwax, a.g, vics, r222 and race glaze to name a few and to be honest all are very good and its VERY hard to tell the difference. I only really bother as some customers prefer or ask for certain products or i would stick with R222 everytime as its my personal favourite and works great on all colours.

I did this on friday and it was finished with HD wax - simply because it was the only one the owner had heard of and knew it was a good product! I doubt if i had used anything else it would have been noticably different t.b.h.

Note to self, must get wall tiles fixed :lol:
By mini bilko
I didn't say what I use other than HD wax because its all relative - in my business ultimate durability isn't essential, the overall finish of the car for the customer is, and on that basis I recommend what I believe works best in accordance to colour type, and also budget. People bring their car to me because they want it to look its absolute best. I use the HD when a customer is interested in durability over aesthetics, and even then I offer a separate product which lasts for up to 2 years...

So; HD Wax is fine, offers good durability, and a good depth of colour on darker cars.
Raceglaze 55 or the Black Label when customers are looking for increased warmth and depth of colour, I find these are easy to apply also and cure around 20-25mins.
I use Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid, as this cures in 15mins and is very easy to apply and buff off. Hybrid wax/sealant, medium durability (5-6mths), offering great levels of gloss like a sealant but also the warmth of a true wax. This is a winner!!
G|Techniq C2 as a spray sealant that is applied and removed in less than 1 minute per panel. Lasts for around 3 months on its own, but can stretch it to 6 with the diluted top up - fantastic clarity and sharpness to the paint.
G|Techniq C1 for its extreme durability and improved scratch resistance. Again, offers a sharp look to the paint.
Zaino Z2 for flake pop on light coloured metallic cars, this cannot be beaten in that department, also gives great gloss levels, and will last for 6 months from a single application. Fast and easy to use, cures in around 10mins.
By bornlucky1
Im not doubting your work by the way (sorry if it comes across that way) but if customer is coming to you and want , in your words, the very best finish available, then why do you keep quoting curing times?

What i do is speak to the customer, find out exactly what they want and then give them a price based on the hours i think it would take to do the work, and they dont get the car back until im happy with the result, if they want a wax put on their car that takes slightly longer to cure thats fine, the price would reflect this.

I dont class myself as a detailer btw (although i suppose i could judging by some the buffer trails and marring i've had to fix caused by so called 'detailers'), its a term thrown about far to much these days, more of a valeter that knows what he's doing (a rare thing nowadays)

p.s, about curing times, while waiting on wax to cure i just work on another part of the car, interior, engine bay etc.
By mini bilko
No worries. I quoted curing times purely for the benefit of the forum - some people want a quick wipe on buff off product, others are quite happy to spend all day working on their car. The C1 takes 4 hours to fully cure and during this period you cannot work on the car as it needs to be kept away from dust and must not be touched while the product is curing, it must be done indoors for this reason... Hence why the product isn't available to the general public. I do whatever I feel offers the best benefit for the car and the customer, curing times don't come into the equation for me - like you, I work on other aspects of the car if there is a longer waiting time required, its not a problem.

Btw, the main reason I initially spoke about this subject regarding the HD Wax, was because you have to be careful and ensure it is completely cured before removing, due to the oil content within the wax - if removed too early, even when you think it may have cured after 20/25mins, it can sometimes leave an oily residue behind which comes apparent when the sun shines on the car and makes it look like it has been slightly hologrammed, which is why I find it tends to take a good 30-40mins to cure before being buffed off. Which is great for some, as it means you can dress tyres, polish exhausts etc during this time.
By DANCTRs-o-t
Stevo M81 wrote:
DANCTRs-o-t wrote:Pledge FTW :lol:

:lol: love it

Works well on a Gruppe M actually, my mates used to clean the Gruppe M on his 328 with it :lol: (on the outside obviously, not the filter :lol: )
By beefwilder
Seeing as though there seems to be a couple of guys in this thread who seem know their stuff, can I ask...what's the best thing to be buffing wax off with? Is a simple good quality microfibre good enough or should I be using something else?
By mini bilko
I tend to use a shag pile microfibre mate, but I do also use good quality plush microfibres too :thumbup:
By beefwilder
mini bilko wrote:I tend to use a shag pile microfibre mate, but I do also use good quality plush microfibres too :thumbup:
Cheers mate! :thumbup:
By Cracksta
This best wax thing, are you measuring it purely on durability?

I currently use Poorboys Blackhole (glaze) followed by a wax of my choice:

CG Pete 53 (gives me the best showroom shine and has a good 2+ months durability)
R222 (good overall wax)
Collinite 915 (best durabilty I know but a bitch to wipe off, only used during winter time)

I find all 3 to be great but you should not be looking at waxes alone, the polishing stage is where you make of break the look of the car.

Sealants are great too (wax = natural, sealants = manmade)
By mini bilko
Cracksta wrote:you should not be looking at waxes alone, the polishing stage is where you make of break the look of the car.
Very well said. Great point, overlooked by the masses. :cooldude:

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]