The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Those Complete Power Boosting & Drivetrain Mods..
Forum rules: 
Please keep personal insults to yourselves.
Opinions and discussion are welcomed but the name calling and petty retorts are now becoming tiresome and getting in the way of what would otherwise be a great section with a lot of useful information.
Personally insulting posts and those serving little purpose except to incite argument will be removed and authors warned. FYI, we operate a multiple warning and automatic ban system.
By stanwan
Dill wrote:I have heard about reseting ECU's on higher octane fuel, do you know if it works, or if its a load of bolx???
Its supposed to work like this,

1 Run till nearly empty, then fill a couple of times with 98 RON fuel

2 Now reset your ECU, this is supposed to re-adjust itself to the higher octane fuel, (advance ignition timing etc i think)

Now you're supposed to get marginally more power! Obviously keeping on Shell optimax (98 RON)

Like I said I've heard about this, Is it true though?
This will only work if your ECU is tuned for 98RON fuel. I believe the latest 911s have this feature and will use the knock sensor to retard timing on lesser fuels. However unless your ECU is mapped/designed this way, using higher octane is pointless. THe additives will help to keep your engine clean though.....

I also believe that knock is more likely when engine temp gets high - could it be that use of 98 RON in the summer/trackdays might give some advantages.....?
By Timo
The handbook advises using higher octane fuels, 95RON min and above.

I've not filled up with anything except Optimax from new. 28 miles to the gallon on average, urban/extra urban/ragging it.

I don't think you need to do an ecu remap for the fuel RON level, as the cars are put together here. If they were imports to us, then I think we might have to.

Timo.
By cletus
All the time i have been on this forum, i have managed to miss this thread. And its one of/the best thread on here. :oops:
By davey8369
Stan is the tuning man!
By BLACKmagik
great thred keep it up.

Daft Q, but the S2000 must use optmax if poss,does this apply to the CTR?
By Jocelyn Hills
Wow loads of usefull info here - glad someone posted a link in another thread! Shall pay much attention to this as I'll be chasing cragens 300 fbhp!!!
By jsy-r
Just found all the info i've been looking for :P

Great posting Stan :wink:
By AlaskaEP
1. US gets 89-91 OCT gas.
2. Nice breakdown of the levels
3. Keeping it a K20 engine, UK has the best block IMHO, and US RSX-S has the best ECU for tuning IMHO.
4. JDM Manifolds are best.
4.5 If you make it forced inducted, don't forget to compliment the engine for boost ie. sleeve supports, low compresion pistons, thicker head gaskets ETC. (in short, get the parts that will make it run safer!)
5. Anything after manifolds just needs to breath better.
6. Thanks for the info:)

just some mental notes i made while reading

but if your really serious about making over 300bhp...just save up for the accord block and go from that..dont waste money on parts just to move on to something bigger and badder/better, cause you wont get what you put into that motor.
By Adski
stanwan wrote: At the end of all this you'll have a superfast hatch, and be £30,000 poorer (not including car).
:shock: :shock: :shock: 30 grand :lol:
The best way to tune a k series is to tune fuel, ignition and most imporat, cam angle timing. Without the capability of adjusting cam timing, you will not get the most out of a cai, intake, race header and a good flowing exhaust. Also,i've seen n/a k20s (mainly 2.2-2.4L engines) make over 300 n/a with the proper setup and tune.
A. PRINCE wrote:hi lads , iv jus brought myself a honda civic tpye r (2005). what would be the best way to gain more performance like were would i start??like what parts and names??
id be very grateful
All depends on money! what is your budget?
ryanthetriad wrote:
A. PRINCE wrote:hi lads , iv jus brought myself a honda civic tpye r (2005). what would be the best way to gain more performance like were would i start??like what parts and names??
id be very grateful
Only a year late to reply :wink: :lol:
sn:afu wrote:
ryanthetriad wrote:
id be very grateful
Only a year late to reply :wink: :lol:
LOL, surely he still got his CTR in stock form lmao :wink:
i have 2004 ctr euro version, with AEM cold air intake and no catalytic converter.
What to do as a next step, can I install cams and k-pro or I have to tune up the exhaust manifold?
Do I gain more power if I make it rev more than 8000 rpm or the hp graph will decrease then?
I think I must install a performance clutch for such a tune, because on stock engine its becoming harder to shift when it’s on a high rev. Is it the clutch or the gear box? Sometimes the second gear won’t fit with gears cracking.
What’s the best clutch to install?
Thanks for help
tazmania wrote:i have 2004 ctr euro version, with AEM cold air intake and no catalytic converter.
What to do as a next step, can I install cams and k-pro or I have to tune up the exhaust manifold?
Do I gain more power if I make it rev more than 8000 rpm or the hp graph will decrease then?
I think I must install a performance clutch for such a tune, because on stock engine its becoming harder to shift when it’s on a high rev. Is it the clutch or the gear box? Sometimes the second gear won’t fit with gears cracking.
What’s the best clutch to install?
Thanks for help
Your sort of on the right lines, find yourself a catback exhaust, exhaust manifold and then inlet manifold, then do KPRO last, with AEM CAI and no cat, you should see yourself in the 240/250bhp zone, thats an extra 40/50bhp depending on your car and the modification brand/quality you buy. If that isn't enough you can put cams in after etc for extra power.
Your car should rev to 8. something rpm, not 100 per cent sure, but you will see yourself a lot more power with that setup.

Your best off sticking with oem clutch, buy a brand new one, they are decent and long lasting. When you talk about 2nd gear its possibly your 2nd gear sycroniser gone or you may need a new clutch and change of gearbox oil. Also keep in mind an Engine torque damper and engine mount inserts, it helps a lot for gear changing as well as performance etc.
By EP3crew
Some good info- mate :thumbup:

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]