The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Those Complete Power Boosting & Drivetrain Mods..
Forum rules: 
Please keep personal insults to yourselves.
Opinions and discussion are welcomed but the name calling and petty retorts are now becoming tiresome and getting in the way of what would otherwise be a great section with a lot of useful information.
Personally insulting posts and those serving little purpose except to incite argument will be removed and authors warned. FYI, we operate a multiple warning and automatic ban system.
By clintssss
Right guys, I'll be short and descriptive as possible in this because this is obviously a sad time for me....

Basically my bottom end has gone and whatever breaks on my car gets upgraded, period.

Now that my bottom end has gone I will fix my current engine but what's my options for upgrading things?

K24/k20 is do able but is it worth it on a lowish budget? (From my research on my budget I will be around 260 Bhp)

Sticking with the K20 is also on the cards with cams etc too see me close to the above Bhp but different characteristics

What's the best options price wise/bang for buck

Cheers! Pic of my poorly car (insert sad face)Image
Last edited by clintssss on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
By clintssss
[quote="Stamford78"]Unlucky pal. Do you know of the reason why it let go?

Well when I bought the car it was in a pretty bad state so we reckon it's to do with a rough history because I've looked after it very well since my ownership (almost 2 years)
By Lewisgame
Well going down the k24/k20 wouldn't really be upgrading the engine. More of a replacement of the bottom end with a second hand unit.
Me personally, I'd get hold of a second hand engine. Refresh at least the bottom end with new shells, New chain, maybe even chuck a new head gasket on and with the head off it'll be a good time to upgrade valve springs and stick in some good stage 2/3 cams. You'll obviously need supporting mods to suit these cams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By clintssss
Lewisgame wrote:Well going down the k24/k20 wouldn't really be upgrading the engine. More of a replacement of the bottom end with a second hand unit.
Me personally, I'd get hold of a second hand engine. Refresh at least the bottom end with new shells, New chain, maybe even chuck a new head gasket on and with the head off it'll be a good time to upgrade valve springs and stick in some good stage 2/3 cams. You'll obviously need supporting mods to suit these cams.
What's the main differences between stage 2 and 3 cams and what's needed to run them correctly?

I currently have k100, RBC, TB, 421 manifold, 3" exhaust system, AEM v2 intake
By Lewisgame
clintssss wrote:
Lewisgame wrote:Well going down the k24/k20 wouldn't really be upgrading the engine. More of a replacement of the bottom end with a second hand unit.
What's the main differences between stage 2 and 3 cams and what's needed to run them correctly?

It varies between each brand but stage 3 generally require a more built engine with higher compression and you could be limited to how much VTC angle to prevent piston on valve action.
With a set of stage 2's you're not far off the set up. Maybe get an RRC or ported/reworked RBC with something like an Injen long arm intake. Alternatively throttle bodies. Depending on brand of 421 manifold you may need to upgrade that.
Or just get some drop in cams that don't require head work.

By doug2507
Lewisgame wrote:
clintssss wrote:

It varies between each brand but stage 3 generally require a more built engine with higher compression and you could be limited to how much VTC angle to prevent piston on valve action.
With a set of stage 2's you're not far off the set up. Maybe get an RRC or ported/reworked RBC with something like an Injen long arm intake. Alternatively throttle bodies. Depending on brand of 421 manifold you may need to upgrade that.
Or just get some drop in cams that don't require head work.

There's a blue printed k20 on the well known auction site right now for 1200 quid iirc...

For a built engine probably worth speaking to tdi north etc and see what's within budget. Obviously will save a bucket load of cash getting parts / machining and putting together yourself.

I'll be posting a set of titan itbs up for sale this coming week if interested...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]