The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Those Complete Power Boosting & Drivetrain Mods..
Forum rules: 
Please keep personal insults to yourselves.
Opinions and discussion are welcomed but the name calling and petty retorts are now becoming tiresome and getting in the way of what would otherwise be a great section with a lot of useful information.
Personally insulting posts and those serving little purpose except to incite argument will be removed and authors warned. FYI, we operate a multiple warning and automatic ban system.
By Partyvan
Hello everyone.

I've decided to build a K20 powered CRX, probably via a sequential box as well :)

Main benefits I can see are:
- Stronger gearbox. Wider, stronger gears with more bearing supports
- Faster gearchanges

Smaller benefits include:
- Epic gearshift lever
- That noise!
- No possibility of getting 1st instead of 3rd

Downside is it's obviously a very expensive conversion.

I'm interest to hear people's thoughts and experiences with sequentials
By Lewisgame
You've probably seen that qualife do their 5 speed sequential set up that uses the standard bell housing. Which looks a good piece of kit. But being 5 speed you'd either have to run longer gears to get a decent top speed or short gear and sacrifice for a very poor top speed.
Then assuming you'll be running K100/KPRO you'll need to set up an input for ignition cut to enable flat shifting.
From what I've experienced with a sequential is they're not very easy to deal with on the road. But then if it's a track focused car then it doesn't matter.
Have you looked into a dog box set up? You'd get the stronger gears, the ability for clutchless shifts and retain 6 gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Partyvan
Yes they're 5 speed mate, the extra bearing means less space for ratios. That doesn't bother me too much as I only used 3rd-6th on the OEM box with a final drive anyway. A better spaced 5 speed setup with the right final drive will give you more gears to play with. I do have K100 yes. I think having helical gears would make it more road friendly.

I'm done with the OEM setup to be honest, even with dog engagement it's still got sh-t syncros and weak gears :)
By Lewisgame
Personally I think the standard gearbox is more than capable for a mildly tuned (up to 300bhp) track car providing you don't abuse it and make clean gear changes. Just change the gear ratios for your needs.
Helical cut gears in a sequential will only reduce transmission noise. Generally for a good clean gear change it requires a fast input speed from the engine and a quick gear selection.
TDI have recently just built a dog box. I think you'd struggle to break that. Especially as dog boxes don't have synchromesh ;) Still, a dog box is poor to deal in the road. I'd invest your money in some other areas such as suspension or brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]