The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Those Complete Power Boosting & Drivetrain Mods..
Forum rules: 
Please keep personal insults to yourselves.
Opinions and discussion are welcomed but the name calling and petty retorts are now becoming tiresome and getting in the way of what would otherwise be a great section with a lot of useful information.
Personally insulting posts and those serving little purpose except to incite argument will be removed and authors warned. FYI, we operate a multiple warning and automatic ban system.
By Danny_J
Hi guys :D

Need a bit of help, hoping some of you have been in the same situation before so can chime in and help out.

Im currently running a JRSC on my EP3 with the manual tensioner system. Now as of yet (touch wood!) i havet had an issues with it or belts snapping/shredding etc. Though have heard and contnue to hear of people having issues with the manual tensioner hence the reason im wanting to safegurd it by using an auto one...

So im wanting to ideally replace the manual one with the EP3 OEM tensioner. Im aware a small corner of the auto tensioner needs to be shaved/cut off in order for it to clear the JRSC unit itself. Is anything else required or it simply remove the manual one and replace with the auto tensioner? Does it use the same belt length (7pk 1178)
How hard is it to get the belt back on if i was to change over tensioner systems....im guessing it wont be easy as it needs to be so tight! Is it something that can be done fairly easily on the driveway or is it a garage job?

Also does anyone reccomend the use of the Merc Racing JRSC tensioner bracket ( found here: http://mercracing.net/products-page/oem ... r-bracket/ ) - says it allows the use of the OEM tensioner, but is it really needed if it fits anyway (albeit with a bit being shaved off) Or does it something else that will be beneficial to increasing belt longevity.

Sorry for the long post, just weighing up options here! ;)

Cheers, Dan
By Collister
I have an auto tensioner on mine it's easy enough to modify with the cut off and might need to shave the back of the bracket above the water pump if yours hasn't been already
It's easer to put on with two people as it can be pain to hold it and get the belt over.
By Danny_J
Cheers for the reply.

So simply undo the manual one and replace with the modded auto tensioner and then pull belt back on over the pulley? Nothing else required? Whats the merc racing bracket for...

Doesnt seem to tricky so may attempt it with help of someone else to hold belt so it doesnt come off lower pulleys! Is it same belt size i take it ?

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]