The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Those Complete Power Boosting & Drivetrain Mods..
Forum rules: 
Please keep personal insults to yourselves.
Opinions and discussion are welcomed but the name calling and petty retorts are now becoming tiresome and getting in the way of what would otherwise be a great section with a lot of useful information.
Personally insulting posts and those serving little purpose except to incite argument will be removed and authors warned. FYI, we operate a multiple warning and automatic ban system.
By NIGHTHAWKEP3
Alright guys & girls

I'm at stage now that my EP3 has is handling & looking how I want it to,
Feel like it's time to start looking at gaining some power currently have a Teg M & 2.5" cat back fitted.

Have been considering an M2 intake manifold, larger throttle body ie skunk2, exhaust manifold with sports cat & possibly upgrading cams with new springs & retainers for mapping with k100.

Looking for advice on best choices for power recommendations much appreciated. Especially on cams not really clued up about them.

Thanks
By Lewisgame
What's your goal for power?
I'd ditch the sports cat. Especially if you get cams as you won't get the full potential out the cams with a restrictive exhaust.
By NIGHTHAWKEP3
I've had the car on standard power for the 4years I've owned just feel as though lacking & looking to get best can from bolts ons without total rebuild ie about 260-270bhp if possible my car is a daily was just to save hassle of needing to swap over every MOT time.

Just like best rated parts for best overall gains
By Lewisgame
Throttle bodies, some stage 2/3 cams, decent exhaust manifold and a 3 inch exhaust will get your figures you want but at a cost.
Some of the cars with that figures with not that high modifications achieve that because they have an aggressive final drive which can play with the figures on the dyno.
By *nub*
Yeah dude 270 is possible if you're willing to spend 2-3 grand or so ? I've got a Tegiwa exhaust and it shouldn't be hard to make a section with a cheap sports cat with flanges for MOT, I'm going do this myself. Can't type much right now but basically you want to ditch the Teg M, get hybrid racing intake. RRC, fd2 TB, Tegiwa mani then ideally a 3" cat back, tdi drop in cams Engine balancer shaft delete and fd2 oil pump if you want up to 270bhp on tdi rollers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By *nub*
Oh sh-t sorry lol! Tapatalk confuses me I probably thought this was civinfo. Even easier then but ignore what I said.

By NIGHTHAWKEP3
Thanks for input guys on how to go about more power! But yeah have an ep3 ha!

In regards to manifold will a 2.5" bore be decent enough mated upto a 3" cat back or be best just to have 3" all through?

Saw solidfab was making them & looked excellent,

When changing cams is there any that stand out for best gain or is TDI's own best way to go? Would it be advisable to change springs retainers with uprated oil pump to raise rev range/limiter?

Thanks
By *nub*
Tdi stage 1 drop ins make good power and you don't need to change anything else. Id stay away from solid fab headers, I don't like the look of the ones ive seen as the primaries are too short and I haven't seen good results from other members. Forget about manifold diabetes too, all of them should have the same collector and being 3" diameter doesn't matter. I'd also avoid japspeed and dc sports as in my opinion they may be restrictive with cams. Get a Tegiwa. Or if you really want solid fab get him to make a 4-1 ASP style with really long runners. 3" cat back for sure. OEM pump is fine

By NIGHTHAWKEP3
Sorry late reply man! Been away doing abit research regarding cams etc!

Thanks for recommendations is much appreciated took long enough to get to this stage just want to make sure it's done properly first time round.
Always wanted throttle bodies reckon that could be a future mod

Really just want reliable n/a power to surprise a few bigger budget motors without going turbo as I've looked at that option aswell just prefer thought of having cammed setup even though I know bhp per £ spent is greater!

In regards to cams am I aswell going stage 2's?
Is there more benefit to having engine setup to be able to rev higher?
Will fitting lsd,final drive & different gear ratios help car to feel quicker even if bhp figures aren't as high as intending?

This is all new to me all help & info appreciated
By *nub*
Not a great difference between stage 1 and 2 drop in cams. LSD will insure you get better traction in 1st and 2nd gear and cornering. 260+bhp with a 5.1 FD would be proper quick accelerating. A 5.4 even quicker but too short IMO for a daily. It's down to preference though.

By NIGHTHAWKEP3
That's what had been reading it's only the low cam that's different for mid range where as top end same, like said spending the cash just want it done right first time round.
5.1 is where I seem to be at its still a daily lol

What setup you running on your car if don't mind me asking? You got EP or FN?
By *nub*
I had a 250bhp EP3 so I can imagine how quick it would be with an extra 10-20 bhp and/or a 5.1 final drive (fn2 ratio). You want good tyres. I now drive a 340bhp supercharged FN2 and put a 4.7 EP3 back in there [emoji3]

By NIGHTHAWKEP3
Was your ep3 just bolt on mods & mapped? Ie intake & exhaust manifold decent induction & map I take it?

That's aim anyway to hopefully have car with power & final drive setup!

How big/harsh a difference is there between 5.1 & 5.4 final drive? Really new to final drive setups

I run Contisport 5's on my oem wheels oem size & currently running nankangs ns2r 215/45's on my gt3's
By *nub*
I had Teg M, RBC, 4-1 supersprint header, a GReddy EVO TTT cat back. There difference probably isnt huge but 5.4 is a lot shorter than the 4.7 thats in your EP3. Is it a daily driver?

I had conti sport 5's too
By NIGHTHAWKEP3
Your motor would've sounded incredible with that setup surely?

Yeah is a daily driver so don't want to short a final drive, had read earlier people opt for jdm 4th,5th & 6th with 5.1 FD & seem to rate it well

Can't fault Contisport 5's made such a difference over the rainsport 2's that were fitted when bought car
By *nub*
The Teg M sounds fantastic. The GReddy evo TT also great low revs and idle but a tad loud on WOT. I really think 5.1 is the best option if you want change the FD at all. You could add an accord 6th but it becomes more expensive unless you're swapping the whole box and OEM is fine.

Added in 4 minutes :

By NIGHTHAWKEP3
The noise of the Teg M is incredibly addictive I just got mines fitted last month! Your ep3 sounds epic![OK HAND SIGN]
That's good to hear then man if can just swap over for 5.1 & rest of gearing be fine.

Had a nightmare today swapped cam cover today with some skunk2 low profile bolts pure for aesthetics but being a daft have snapped one of the bolts that go down into cylinder head at the threads! Just my luck was last bolt aswell couldn't believe it!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]