The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Those Complete Power Boosting & Drivetrain Mods..
Forum rules: 
Please keep personal insults to yourselves.
Opinions and discussion are welcomed but the name calling and petty retorts are now becoming tiresome and getting in the way of what would otherwise be a great section with a lot of useful information.
Personally insulting posts and those serving little purpose except to incite argument will be removed and authors warned. FYI, we operate a multiple warning and automatic ban system.
By m_kidd
Hi guys,

I've been gathering parts for an engine built (N/A) for some time now and the list continues to grow. So far its been the top end I have bought for (cams etc as per my last thread) now I'm looking at the bottom end. A member is selling a piston kit which I'm interested in and thought I may as well go a bit further again. Are dry sumps and knife edge cranks a good way to go?

No cost per gain is not worth it for N/A comments please, been done to death.

Cheers
By m_kidd
its not for anything specific mate its a toy and plan is to go to the Nurburgring next summer. It's used n the road sometimes but is limited as I have a second car. The top end is being rebuilt with skunk 2 stage 2 cams etc. I'm aware you may say its over kill but I'm happy to do it lol (I would have to have all the components in front of me to give full details.) Its really a question of is this the way I would go next....
By AdamB92
Being a motorsport engineer myself and having studied under one of the worlds greatest engine designers, you could pick up a fair amount of power by fiddling with the bottom end.

Knife edging is ok in terms of balancing the engine providing the person who's doing it knows what their doing in 90% of the cases they don't and it actually only ends up weakening the crank unless it goes through heat treatment processes.
Dry sumps are good, but as has already been said, it depends what your going to use the motor for and whether its worth shelling out for.
By pulpmelon_r
So the use case is fast road and the cylinder head is stock bar a stage 2 cam profile + supporting valvetrain.

I would not consider building the bottom end for that configuration. Keep it OEM and reliable with extra static compression from a spoon / Toda head gasket to support the cams. If you still have time / money I would also consider other cams but that's a whole new thread by itself...

Lastly regarding a dry sump kit for a road car on non-slick tyres, that's not a typical thing to do, due to the average kit costing around £2000 and a baffled wet sump doing the job just fine for the Gforce a street tyre can generate.
By m_kidd
I want to have the head sent away for porting / polishing or gas flowing which ever is the correct terminology. Sump I wasn't sure about, if a baffle does the job just as well then that's what I'll go with. Car has semi-slick tyres pump, like you say but probably doesn't warrant a the dry sump. Cam's etc are staying as they are, got them at a good price and I have my inlet / full exhaust etc etc
By pulpmelon_r
Just be aware that if you go ahead with the skunk2 cams it might be false economy long term as they will require an upgraded timing chain, timing chain tensioner and adjustable exhaust cam vernier pulley.

Stay away from anything other than a proven CnC port programme on a K20 head, anything else will most likely make it worse than OEM through the rev range. Larger valves are overkill on a 2.0L unless you can rev out to 10k plus.

The people that have the most fun per pound in their civics are generally those that have stayed with bolt ons and a kpro, stripped the car out and fitted a shorter final drive. You can leave some expensive kit behind on a track day or RWYB with a simple setup like that.
By doug2507
Stock crank is strong as sh-t, no need to swap it out unless chasing a different stroke.

I've got 2.0 arriving soon that's been built to pretty much as high a spec as you can go for a 2.0 without short stroking (with dry sump) and even that's still using the stock crank!

Dry sump costs a few quid and on a road car is a complete waste of money imo. I went with it on my build to eek every last drop of power out of the motor and obviously help longevity as it'll only be driven in anger. (hillclimbs)
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]