The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Those Complete Power Boosting & Drivetrain Mods..
Forum rules: 
Please keep personal insults to yourselves.
Opinions and discussion are welcomed but the name calling and petty retorts are now becoming tiresome and getting in the way of what would otherwise be a great section with a lot of useful information.
Personally insulting posts and those serving little purpose except to incite argument will be removed and authors warned. FYI, we operate a multiple warning and automatic ban system.
By karlos_91
Hi had a wining type noise coming from gearbox so got it back to my works and have stripped the box down tonight ready to fit a track spec gearbox I have just rebuilt to find a spring has let go on my stage 1 competition clutch and made a bit of a mess :(

So I am now looking to buy a new clutch and ANOTHER lightweight flywheel!

Car is only running usual bolt ons (249bhp) not used as a daily but does get driven hard when I do use it lol

Just wondering what clutches people recommend? I heard good things about competition clutch do people think the same?

Thinking maybe I just need a stronger clutch than a stage 1, I am thinking possibly buy a stage 4/5 competition clutch if people don't recommend anything better.

Any advice or opinions appreciated.
By karlos_91
Trouble is I plan on building another engine over next 12 months and it will be a k24 turbo build so I would like to get a clutch I can use now and will still be capable of taming the next engine I build (plan on running around 400-500bhp)

I am in talks about a clutchmasters stage 4 clutch and clutchmasters flywheel any reviews on this?

Thanks
By jonezy
I use fx400 on my turbo ep3 no issues, pedal is light as oem though so can catch you out...

Nothing wrong with comp clutch st4, or exedy stg3 or pretty much any premium brand clutch. As long as you adhere to the bedding in procedure and Dont over grease the input shaft they will be fine.

All uprated clutches as far as I know all use the same pressure plate but painted different, and the friction plates are pretty much all made by exedy anyway. Only thing that seems to differ is the friction material and the pattern of the springs.
By karlos_91
Cool thanks for that mate, was wandering if the peddle for fx400 would be a bit drastic for fast road/track use but that seems spot on for me :) will be ordering an fx400 and lightened flywheel tomorrow.

Yeah I would fit correctly and adhere to all bedding in procedures etc.

Thanks again
By TDi-North
Who fitted your clutch?
1st picture one of the cover plate bolts is missing (Bottom left). Probably not torqued up properly and loctited as per instructions and that being loose will cause issues with the rest of the clutch.
By karlos_91
TDi-North wrote:Who fitted your clutch?
1st picture one of the cover plate bolts is missing (Bottom left). Probably not torqued up properly and loctited as per instructions and that being loose will cause issues with the rest of the clutch.
It was fitted at performance autoworks but the plate bolts that's are missing I had already took out, a friend was photoing it as I was still stripping it down lol. I will be doing the clutch myself this time round and torquing it up correctly etc. what torque setting do you put an Uprated clutch to? (Clutchmasters fx400)

I also read your thread on the washer behind the throw out arm when fitting an aftermarket/performance clutch, what thickness does the washer need to be?

Thanks
By Scuffers
As said, who fitted that!

never seen flywheel bolts shear like that, must have been running loose for some time?

As for the clutch, I am a big fan of OEM ones, and if you must upgrade, the US Exedy stage 1 (NOT THE ONES YOU BUY HERE!!!)

Used these on dozens of cars including Jamie's turbo'ed TA car with well north of 450lbft
By karlos_91
Scuffers wrote:As said, who fitted that!

never seen flywheel bolts shear like that, must have been running loose for some time?

As for the clutch, I am a big fan of OEM ones, and if you must upgrade, the US Exedy stage 1 (NOT THE ONES YOU BUY HERE!!!)

Used these on dozens of cars including Jamie's turbo'ed TA car with well north of 450lbft
That's the clutch bolts that are sheared, and nothing came loose as said above a clutch spring let go and made all that mess, it was a clutch unit malfunction nothing regarding fitting was the fault.

I have ordered a stage 4 clutchmasters kit now and a new clutchmasters lightened flywheel.
By jonezy

How do you go about getting a US spec stg1? If I had known this I would have got one before getting an fx400
By Scuffers
karlos_91 wrote:

That's the clutch bolts that are sheared, and nothing came loose as said above a clutch spring let go and made all that mess, it was a clutch unit malfunction nothing regarding fitting was the fault..
come again?

they look like snapped off flywheel bolts? (or a very odd photo?)

and good luck with more clutch-master crap...
jonezy wrote:How do you go about getting a US spec stg1? If I had known this I would have got one before getting an fx400
order one from a US distro? (even Amazon have them listed http://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-08806-Racin ... B001B5EUPO)

I believe Questmead in the UK also hold stock.
By karlos_91
Must be a dodgy photo as nothing had snapped off?

The clutch multi spline bolts had slightly sheared off the heads of the bolts from where a clutch spring had broken up inside.

I heard good things about clutchmasters so I went with that.
By jonezy
Next clutch will likely be a usa Stg one then. Fx400 works fine but it's road manners aren't the best. Makes you look a knob setting off quickly out of junctions sometimes
By shaRRpy
jonezy wrote:Next clutch will likely be a usa Stg one then. Fx400 works fine but it's road manners aren't the best. Makes you look a knob setting off quickly out of junctions sometimes
With these heavy duty clutches like the fx400 is that the only disadvantage compared to oem spec?
Do they give a more solid and aggressive gear change.as in that split second of engaging gear and re applying throttle. (Sounds weird but I know what I mean,hehe.)
By jonezy
They are still sprung so aren't as snappy as some, but they can be quite grabby and hard work in traffic. Setting off Quickly out of junctions is the worst though.

Also quite noisy when you slip it too
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]