The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Honda no longer offer this service, therefore archived.
By jigga50
Just had my Mac course today with Dave.

Once all the paperwork was done and car checked we set off.

I drove for a while while Dave assesed my driving, then we
stopped off at a cafe to discuss my faults. This took some time!
He explained in depth what I was doing wrong and how it was effecting
the balance of the car and progress.

It was a lot to take in at once but it all made sense as he explained it clearly with diagrams. Then he drove, doing a commentary on everything he saw. This was amazing how he can pick out cars/signs etc way in the distance and observe every little detail of things around. The small details that you wouldn't usually pick up can be the most important and help you drive more safely. THen he went from what he calls shopping mode into vtec mode and still gave a commentary at an even faster pace and at considerable speed. Sounded like the weird looking horse racing commentator. The car felt remarkably stable, just goes to show in the right hands it does handle well.

After having the demo drive it showed me in practice what he had explained to me in the talk before. After that I drove for a while trying to put this into practice. Found it difficult to think about observing everything, steering differently etc it was like learning to drive again and having to think how to change gear!

Really enjoyed the day and would recommend it to anyone, regardless of their car its all the same principals.

When I got back home couldn't find anyone to tell about my day so went for a drive lol! So just concentrated on my steering initailly and have found it much more smoother and hassle freee.

Jon
By Bazzer
Dave is a legend. One hell of a driver. 8)
By jigga50
Well I assumed I would go back to my old ways this morning but no.

If Dave reads this he will know what I mean.

Was in traffic and stayed well back observed car braking to turn in stayed in 3rd without braking and went passed. Also when I was going over a bridge looked under a car to see one in fronts brake lights so let bridge slow me down.

Really helped me and can start to see the benfits already.
By landhippy
I know what you mean about re-learning stuff. The hardest thing I found was how to approach a roundabout on a fast road using block gear changing.

Stay in 6th, stay in 6th, stay in 6th, into second/third and go ..... :D
By N77
Dave is The Man he is very understanding and is a good teacher, I follow what he told me more now than my first MAC course I had, although with the bad weather not tried the country roads out yet properly :D

I reckon we should get Dave along to a HOT Event as well to offer advice on driving Sara

Carl
By Dave Bertie
Hi Chaps

Glad to hear that you are still putting into practice what was taught, I'm off over seas again to try and teach parts of what you have.
Take care on those roads!!!!
:wink:
Dave

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]