The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Honda no longer offer this service, therefore archived.
By Carlie
Got my MAC course booked with Bert next Monday. 8)

Can't wait, but at the same time I'm really scared of doing something silly. I get really nervous when somebody's paying attention to my driving. :(

I hear Bert's a good instructor and he sounds like a cool chap on the phone, so I'm looking forward to the training. :D

Anybody got any tips to prepare me for the day?
By speedtrap
can you pm me burts number

he gave me it ages ago to book a date but i lost it :(

thanks
By Adambsmith
Carlie wrote:Got my MAC course booked with Bert next Monday. 8)

Can't wait, but at the same time I'm really scared of doing something silly. I get really nervous when somebody's paying attention to my driving. :(

I hear Bert's a good instructor and he sounds like a cool chap on the phone, so I'm looking forward to the training. :D

Anybody got any tips to prepare me for the day?
Full tank of petrol.

Read up on the Highway Code.

Practise commentary whilst driving.
By Carlie
Adambsmith wrote:
Full tank of petrol.

Read up on the Highway Code.

Practise commentary whilst driving.
Thanks. :wink:

Thought I'd do a write up of the day to maybe give other people an idea of what to expect on their MAC day. :D

On the day, I arranged to meet the MAC trainer at a local Honda dealership. Upon arrival, the first item on the day’s agenda was coffee and a brief chat with the instructor. A few quick questions were asked so that the instructor could get a basic idea of what I already knew before going on the road. The instructor also took a few minutes to talk about the agenda for the day, and to outline the aims of the course. This was then followed by a pre-drive check, which was a further opportunity for the instructor to assess my knowledge of the car as well as to ensure the vehicle was in working order.

The majority of the day was spent on the road, in a variety of environments - urban, motorways and A-roads - and the instructor’s coaching was intended to develop perception skills, alongside handling and manoeuvring abilities. The first part of the session, following the pre-drive check, was a 10-15 minute assessment of my driving, where the instructor identify any key areas that need attention. This was undertaken in residential/urban road routes (town centre).

Once completed and feedback had been given, the coaching began and we took the car through more residential and urban / inner city areas. The instructor offered a range of techniques and systems that were aimed at improving thought processes when approaching given situations, systems which were effective when undertaking manoeuvres such as high speed cornering. The coaching also incorporates advice and pointers when analysing risk and potential hazards, which is particularly relevant within urban areas.

The emphasis throughout the day was always on safety, and the instructor offered plenty of useful tips on positioning, distancing from other road users, and anticipating dangerous situations. A few things were also explained to me regarding signage, like the fact that most of the time signs and road markings are only put down AFTER there has been a serious accident.

This covered the best part of the morning session. Following a spot of lunch, the course then moved on to motorway driving, where I was given pointers again on positioning, overtaking and lane discipline. This was comparatively shorter in duration than the residential & inner city section of the course - in all, approximately 20-30 minutes were spent on the motorways. In between these sections was another section of inner city driving and practicing around areas of heavy traffic and pedestrians.

Upon hitting the A roads, attention was turned to cornering at high speeds and approach. At this stage the three-point system that the instructor had been hinting at through the day came into play, and with a little practice it was apparent that corners could be taken at much higher speeds with a correct approach position and speed, in the right gear. This was a skill that I had to develop - the intention of the day was to introduce the concept, and the instructor was under no illusions that I would master it by the end of the afternoon.

A criticism that could be levelled at the course, however, is it’s short fallings in demonstrating the capability of the car, though this would probably be saved for the track days that MAC do for the Civic Type-R.

That said, the Mac course is extremely worthwhile to drivers who have not before undertaken any driving coaching or assessment. The instructor was approachable and friendly, and fairly flexible with which areas of training to develop or practice more, depending on the requirement of the owner. It’s sensible to have some ideas about where you need development or advisement in your driving, though the instructor will likely determine this in the first 15-30 minutes of observing your driving. The systems offered are practical and effective (if they are maintained and practiced following the day). Well worth taking the day and getting the most from your trainer, and your coaching.
By DaveC118
Bert is a TOP guy, if you not a dick who thinks your the best driver in the world he will like you and you will get on great.
By Whitefire
just completed my mac course and thought it was brilliant. covered about a 160 miles in 4hours and found it very helpful highly recommended with bert
By BitChucker
Cany ou ask Bert where my bloody certificate is? I did the MAC with him 2 years ago and still haven't got my certificate!
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]