The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Honda no longer offer this service, therefore archived.
By mike_wall15
Well I've been rather naughty and taken over a week to write this. My Mac course with Dave took place on the 1st June, here's a mini review...

Well I live in South B'ham and we agreed to meet in Bridgnorth at 9am. Another option was to meet more central and drive near the Pennines, but I'd never ventured much into Wales so I gave that a go.

We went into the Cafe onsite after Dave had pursuaded him to open early :lol: and discussed what I'd like out of the course. I wanted as much as possible, but being so limited for time, the A/B roads seemed like good fun, the times where you can get the most of the acceleration/handling of the CTR.

I drove for a little and then we stopped again. That was the "Initial Assessment". It was quite strange driving with Dave next to me, because you knew he was looking out for all the mistakes :oops: :x :lol:

This is where my errors were pointed out. Here's a brief list of the things we talked about:

- Gears, need to set off in 2nd more often, and don't do the multiple block changes I usually do :cry: It's good to take this on board but not sure if I'll treat it as gospel. Setting off in 2nd was ok in some of the situations, but I certainly wouldn't do it at a fast roundabout for instance. And as for block changing, sometimes if I set off fast and then suddenly I see traffic in front, I may just go from 2nd to 6th... :lol:

- Observation, wow! :shock: I usually look quite far into the distance, but dave looks that extra bit. He's looking at hedgerows and roof tops, assuming there's a road next to that house and that it'll join our road in the future. Something that'll take a lot of practice...

- Steering, almost got it right. I don't cross hands, but the mistake I was making is sometimes I'd move the wrong hand first. You need to use the left hand for left corner, right for right...

- Positioning&corners, I loved this bit the most. Learning about the limit point and putting it into practice, excellent for those country roads you don't use regularly! 8) Oh, and matching with this the position to see as much round the corner as possible.

Some smaller and funnier things were how Dave covers the horn so much and moaned at me for covering the brake in case of emergency braking.

Right, next on the agenda was a demo drive from Dave. It didn't scare me and didn't feel as fast as I was expecting.... but, now here's the big BUT, Dave was able to carry on looking around, miles into the distance, and drive at that speed. It felt very safe that's for sure.

The rest of the day was spent with me driving and putting into practice what Dave had shown me. This was good but also slightly annoying. Because it was literally too much to learn and put into practice so I kept doing things wrong, which I fully knew about but couldn't do anything about! :cry: This is where you need the day split into 2. The first half could teach you, with the 2nd half a few weeks later to see how you'd practiced.
You can see why Police drivers need to have 3/4 weeks training! :D

Dave was a really nice bloke, and was always very professional. Professional is the key word here, he know's what he's doing and puts it over very well. You wouldn't be able to get to know him like a mate, because he's making you get the most of his expertise to become a better driver in the short time he's allowed.

I was suprised the MAC course was still available on my car (52 plate), so it was a very worthwhile day, and hopefully I'll take in a few things and it'll help me become that little bit safer...

I'd recommend it 8)
Cheers Dave! :D

Mike
By Dave Bertie
Thanks Mike for the comments.

Keep the techniques going it will get easier.

Rgds
Dave
By N3YL B
:oops: I'm ashamed to say i forgot to do my review from last month from my course with dave but your review says it perfectly seems like we had very similar experiences and dave is a top bloke

i can still imagine his voice as i'm driving as some of my bad habits pop up now and then :oops:
By Dave Bertie
What bad habits - Neil?

Yes long time since I've been on, overseas work!

Thanks anyway.

Rgds
Dave
By Morty
I know this has been done to death but again the 'starting off in 2nd gear' thing has been mentioned.
We have 6 gears for a very good reason otherwise Honda would have given the CTR a five speed box, no disrespect to Mr Bertie as he is without doubt a million times more experienced than myself but I cant understand why this is taught.
My MAC instructor,Lloyd Brown, said this is incorrect :?

Nick
By mike_wall15
Morty wrote:I know this has been done to death but again the 'starting off in 2nd gear' thing has been mentioned.
We have 6 gears for a very good reason otherwise Honda would have given the CTR a five speed box, no disrespect to Mr Bertie as he is without doubt a million times more experienced than myself but I cant understand why this is taught.
My MAC instructor,Lloyd Brown, said this is incorrect :?

Nick

If memory serves correct then Dave suggested you use 1st gear to manoeuvre at slow speeds.

Since my MAC course I have used 2nd gear to set off on certain occasions. I usually use it if there is no danger around and I'm not in a rush.

I still use 1st gear to set off at speed, or if I'm at a junction where I may require extra power. For instance, some of the large roundabouts in the centre of Birmingham in the rush hour! :lol:

Mike
By N3YL B
Dave Bertie wrote:What bad habits - Neil?

Yes long time since I've been on, overseas work!

Thanks anyway.

Rgds
Dave
was refering to cutting across corners and changing down gears too early but pretty much stopped it now
By dexterR
You can see why Police drivers need to have 3/4 weeks training! Very Happy

It used to be 5 weeks when I did my Advanced, in the dim and distant past. :oops:
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]