The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
By collychase
I have had my black CTR for 18 months and have not had a problem with it - that is until now. I was quite happily crusing down the M62 at 80 MPH when all of a sudden my temperature gauge shot off the scale and my engine warning light came on. :?

I pulled off the motorway onto a slip road on Junction 21 and put it into neutral where the engine proceeded to die. When I came to a standstill smoke started to pour out from underneath the bonnet, so I jumped out fearing a car fire. After a while I summoned the nerve to lift the bonnet.

Luckily there was no sign of a fire, but an awful smell of burning. I then proceeded to phone the Honda careline assistance who sent the nice man from the AA, who was there in 15 minutes (thanks John). He took a look around the engine housing and informed me that there was some kind of leak from the radiator area.

After towing me to a Honda garage I made my way home in a hire car( Astra estate 1.7 TDI aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!). The garage then phoned me about 3 hours later informing me that there was a puncture mark in the radiator and that it was going to cost me 238 quid to fix it since accidental damage was not covered under warranty. :cry:

I know nothing can be done about accidental damage but having looked at the amount of radiator showing, which does not have much protection, I can't help but feel other people will have the same problem that I have encountered.

I will be writing to Honda to complain(obviously) about the amount of protection that the radiator is given from flying objects.
By Captain Redbeard
Very unlucky mate. :(

The amount of radiator exposure is exactly the reason why so many people on here have fitted the protective mesh in front of their radiators.
By Kingy
Damn, another one. Sorry to hear your news mate. Drivin gthat Astra must have been hell!! :wink:
Seriously thats crap news about the Rad. juts ask NOS-Man, never heard anyone so dispondant before.

Lots of people are messing the lower grill now to protect themselves. Its easy to do, there's several threadson the forum. Did mine last weekend.
Hope you get the CTR back real soon, until then, think of the fuel economy!!!
By EvoStu
Unlucky.

The Rad is a very cheap part to replace though at just over 100 quid.

It only takes about an hour to fit as well. In fact if you can get the front bumper off, you can do it yourself it's that easy.

I'd ring around other dealers and get a confirmed price cos the price you have been quoted is steep mate.

EvoStu.
By sims_delight
kingy217 wrote: Lots of people are messing the lower grill now to protect themselves. Its easy to do, there's several threadson the forum. Did mine last weekend.
Glad you found it so simple!!! :wink:
By Kingy
Asked lots of dumb ar*ed questions and got a lots of helpful advice before hand. :wink: :wink:
By zstevesingoz
Evostu wrote:Unlucky.

The Rad is a very cheap part to replace though at just over 100 quid.

It only takes about an hour to fit as well. In fact if you can get the front bumper off, you can do it yourself it's that easy.

I'd ring around other dealers and get a confirmed price cos the price you have been quoted is steep mate.

EvoStu.
Replaced my own rad. Didn't even need to remove the bumper. It is a tight squeez but it will come out of the top.
By EvoStu
zstevesingoz wrote:Replaced my own rad. Didn't even need to remove the bumper. It is a tight squeez but it will come out of the top.
Nice one.

Well there you go lads you can replace it without whipping the front bumper off. Class!

EvoStu.
By Honduh
How many people have had their radiators damaged by stones, unknown objects, etc...?
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]