The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...

does your car pull to a side for no reason?

Pulls to the Left
25%
Pulls to the Right
52%
Does not pull
23%
Had my dampers adjusted to a good height 20mm all round. TGM tom tested my car after and found my steering bends abit to the right if you try to drive in a straight line. Now im not sure if its geo settings is needed as I had 2 new tyres along with the tracking and balance all done and still has the same problem. Does anyone else know what the problem is? Can geo settings cure this or do I need Tie tracking rod ends etc...
ryanthetriad wrote:Had my dampers adjusted to a good height 20mm all round. TGM tom tested my car after and found my steering bends abit to the right if you try to drive in a straight line. Now im not sure if its geo settings is needed as I had 2 new tyres along with the tracking and balance all done and still has the same problem. Does anyone else know what the problem is? Can geo settings cure this or do I need Tie tracking rod ends etc...
this is what i need to know! had 2 front tyres, tarcking, wheel alignment, and still pulls right and left, when breaking also. want to know before i get fast road set up!
oh right fair enough! yer in constantly pulls to the right, and sometimes when breaking it pulls left. in the wet its a bloody night mare, almost crashed a few time where im not holding steering wheel tight enough and its pulled like a bitch after hitting a pot hole. honda said the only thing it needed was wheel alignment, so got that done at wembley tyres and that did nothing. then cpl said tht they reckon a fast road set up will sort it out, but reading else where on here, apparently the steering rack tends to need re-greasing/new slider etc. but hopefully will find out at wk end
my car pulls to the left and right all day long ! ... very anoying :evil: ... It feels as if there is a little play in the steering ?
It is a 2002 with 60k on the clock

my car has been lowered 35mm , full four wheel alignment , four new tyres (yokahama parada spec 2)

This still didnt cure the problem so it has been to honda and they said it is mint :bad-words:

I have tried various different tyre pressures and im currently using 31psi front 29psi rear these seem to hold the road best

I have just purchased a new steering rack which is currently sitting in my garage ... Is there anything else i could check before i fit the rack ? :vconf:
john101 wrote:my car pulls to the left and right all day long ! ... very anoying :evil: ... It feels as if there is a little play in the steering ?
It is a 2002 with 60k on the clock

my car has been lowered 35mm , full four wheel alignment , four new tyres (yokahama parada spec 2)

This still didnt cure the problem so it has been to honda and they said it is mint :bad-words:

I have tried various different tyre pressures and im currently using 31psi front 29psi rear these seem to hold the road best

I have just purchased a new steering rack which is currently sitting in my garage ... Is there anything else i could check before i fit the rack ? :vconf:
wow exactly same problem as me mate!! id love to help but dont know myself! mines a 52 plate with 64k now (bought with 58k) and ever since i got it it pulled rigt and left constantly, more to the right....had two new tyres, tracking, full wheel alignment (recommended by honda) and still rubbish!! honda are idiots, ive been told its quite likely to b steering rack aswell mate, im going to go to cpl racing to get somestuff fitted then get them to sort it....good luck with the rack mate! :salut:
BlakMagik wrote:does anyone know the part number of the grease used on the steering rack or what grease it is, because i rang honda and they said the didnt know believe it or not!

cheers
i bought this:

I can give you the part-number (if it has) tomorrow.

But, when i go to dealer to order this, he said me this is for internal (honda service) use only, but he's my friend, so he ordered it to me.
Yasser wrote:
BlakMagik wrote:does anyone know the part number of the grease used on the steering rack or what grease it is, because i rang honda and they said the didnt know believe it or not!

cheers
i bought this:

I can give you the part-number (if it has) tomorrow.

But, when i go to dealer to order this, he said me this is for internal (honda service) use only, but he's my friend, so he ordered it to me.
oh completely wrong, nice one mate :thumbup: .

would be much appreciated!!

Aram
I had mine booked in at ABP for it's 36,000 mile service yesterday and asked them to look into this same problem whilst they did it (55plate standard premier pulling to the right).

They took it out on the road and confirmed it was the geometry that was out. They did the fast road setup and now all is fine, can't fault the steering, handlng or the service performed/received.

They even fixed my airbox mountings which were'nt even mentioned or expected as the filter in't canged at this service.

Would recommend people having a problem with the steeng get their geometry checked as a first port of call.
ryanthetriad wrote:My CTR 04 plate, only noticed it today, since I have had geo settings and coilovers fitted. The steering wheel bends a bit to the right when you drive in a straight line, now when you move the steering wheel exactly straight so the honda badge is facing upwards/towards you, it seems to go to the left abit. I wonder if this is the tracking that needs to be done, when I brake the car doesnt pull, and when I vtec it well I don't notice anything.
I have the same problem mate! put KW V2 coilovers, new oem tie rods, BuddyClub roll center adjusters done the frsu and my steering wheel bend a little bit to right. The car seems to go straight only if the road is perfect, otherwise it pull right, left.....

I have another problem, because I have a Sparco steering wheel and a hub from MOMO. So it doesn't fit perfect straight.

The problem should be resolved at the alignment shop by blocking the steering wheel perfectly straight and redo the front toe close to perfection :-D

I hate bend steering wheels. My other cars an old Vauxhall (Opel) and a Pug 307CC have no steering issues that all. I can put my hand off the steearing wheel and those cars will go straight for ages....even on bad condition roads.
How come :scratch:

On the CTR I ALWAYS have to do steering corections.....
I went to TDI on Tuesday to get a manifold fitted and a couple of other bits and a map. They guys down there are awsome. However, on the way home I noticed that my steering was pulling to the left prity badly. I rang TDI and they couldnt understand it. Anyway, Paul has kindly offered to have a look at it this Saturday and re track it etc. Just wondering if anyone else has had any problems with steering pulling to the left or right after having a manifold and engine mounts fitted?
2005 ctr nothing changed jus noticed this today car has only done 40k also has tein s tech on with no frsu!!!!
Car showed no sign of uneven tyre wear and tyre pressures are stable :scratch:
wow I thought Iwas alone here. I bought my 04 ctr with teins and rear camber adjusters/ Wasnt happy about the way it handled. I changed the suspension to stock, took the cambers off the rears and also changed the tyres. It seems to be abit better but after putting the oem suspension bk on the steering wheel has done a 90 degree turn in order to go in a straight line. I'll be going to a 4 lazer alignement place on wednesday to see if this can be dealt with!

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]