The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
By Djdannyb
I know I'm bringing up an old thread but.. I noticed a notch on my second gear, nothing major. So I went and had the gearbox oil changed with Honda mtf.
Since then the gears are really nice and slick apart from second when cold its a b*stard to get in gear the first few changes. Also it has crunched into second twice since the change last week and it never crunched before :( is this a problem that can be fixed or not? I've read on here that people have had synchros changed etc and made no difference
By mjhamilton
Djdannyb wrote:I know I'm bringing up an old thread but.. I noticed a notch on my second gear, nothing major. So I went and had the gearbox oil changed with Honda mtf.
Since then the gears are really nice and slick apart from second when cold its a b*stard to get in gear the first few changes. Also it has crunched into second twice since the change last week and it never crunched before :( is this a problem that can be fixed or not? I've read on here that people have had synchros changed etc and made no difference

if it ain't really broken then don't try to fix it... others have had one issue fixed to then created another.. or spent a load of cash with no change...

You could try to find a good second hand box on the internet and swap it out... this would probably be cheaper but again no guarantees
By djtopa
Djdannyb wrote:I know I'm bringing up an old thread but.. I noticed a notch on my second gear, nothing major. So I went and had the gearbox oil changed with Honda mtf.
Forget it I had this on BB6,EP3 and now DC2 :lol:
Worst was EP3 gearbox when cold...but best when hot :P
By mjhamilton
Djdannyb wrote:So just live with it yeah? I can do that :) as once it's warm it's a lovely gearbox, especially in vtec.. Almost changes for you :lol:
I think my clutch my need doing in the near future as my bite is rather low
Then the clutch may be the issue
By Djdannyb
mjhamilton wrote:
Djdannyb wrote:So just live with it yeah? I can do that :) as once it's warm it's a lovely gearbox, especially in vtec.. Almost changes for you :lol:
It's not the clutch as its got worse since the gear oil was changed. Plus i've read so many stories of changing clutches and no difference on here so i doubt it will be clutch but we will see when i do eventually get a new clutch fitted.
By mjhamilton
Djdannyb wrote:
mjhamilton wrote:
It's not the clutch as its got worse since the gear oil was changed. Plus i've read so many stories of changing clutches and no difference on here so i doubt it will be clutch but we will see when i do eventually get a new clutch fitted.
you could try bleeding the clutch system as this can also cause gear issues
By J
Djdannyb wrote:
mjhamilton wrote:
Unable to change gear high up in the rev range is a tell tail sign.
By FireBIade2
When the car is cold don't try changing straight down from 1st to 2nd, let the stick return to neutral first then try putting it into 2nd. This helped when I had my EP3.
By boggy
Hello
I've had my 75000 service recently and I had a crunch to second before it went in now it's had new gear box fluid it's even worse when I put the power down but fine at normal speeds. Anyone had this fixed?

Many thanks

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]