The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
By undecided
Shonk wrote:Right it came back today

1st and 2nd are much much better not as clunky but it still clunks
when putting it into 1st when the car is rolling upto the lights

1st to second is still grinding when at high rev's

3rd 4th 5th 6th are very very very hard to get into and out of gear
it feels very sticky (note the out of gear also)

will this go away

ive heard of 5th and 6th being hard for a while but not 3rd and 4th

How's your car getting on by the way?

Sounds like I probably ended up with a better first attempt that you got, did they eventually put yours in order?

How many extra visits did it take?
By Shonk
5th and 6th are easier but i wouldnt say they where as good as before

2nd is grindy and well notchy its tricky to get a nice fast downchange from
3rd to second and grind from 1st to 2nd ofc

they still havnt done it

they have been trying to say i broke it(lol)

i have summonsed them to court

and am in the middle of that
By pBay
thought i'd add my gear "niggles". I also get the 1st to 2nd grind when cold (at low revs), unless the revs are high and it almost wants to fly into second. Also have a struggle getting it in first whilst rolling in neutral to the lights.

I'm all out of warranty though, so it looks like something im going to have to live with. :cry:
By Steveo73
Yeah I have had this problem since I bought my 53 plate from a dealer with 18k on the clock and guess what everytime it goes in for the 'under warranty' service and I mention it, it comes back completely fine with no fault found (well so they say!?) I'll be very interested if now its out of warranty there is a problem in their opinion ha ha. I think Honda know they have cocked up the gear ratios and not made the gearing to the right tolerences though the weird thing is mine gets better as it warms up but you would think that as it gets hotter the metal would expand so it would get even stickier ??? I think its a problem esp with the 53 plate and Honda arent too willing to admit that there is a problem. In cold weather its an abs mare to shift it into 2nd from 1st but I don't appear to get probs with any other gears except sometimes on high rev gear changes it almost 'pops' out of 3rd when I'm shifting up to 4th. I have to admit I test drove the new 2007 GT Civic type R today and if you compare the ride our ones are very very crude on the steering, gearing and wow the handling round corners blew me away to say its rigid and tight is an understatement so I think Im going to put up with mine for a while and save save save to part ex very soon this 07 plate drives and sounds like the daddy, the ride is so good even dare I say it at normal speeds ha ha !!!!
By sgbuttle
I bought a CTR 04 with 28k on the clock and after running around for a couple of weeks and reading numerous posts on here have realised that I too must have this 1st to 2nd gear problem as it is very clunky when cold but ok once warmed up.

I have also noticed the noise from the rear which sounds like a wheel bearing but must be the allignment and uneven wear of the bridgestones.

I will be contacting the local Honda dealer later today and hopefully can get all these issues sorted before the warranty runs out at the end of March.

Besides these issues I love the car!
By schmergyTR
Hi,

I have the second gear problem quite badly. I have a 03 CTR with only 20K on the clock. It is outside of warrenty :(

Has anyone had this problem fixed at their own expence?

I will try taking it into Honda v soon but before i have time to read this thread properly can anyone give me any heads up as to weather its even worth them doing any work?

Are there any 100% fixes or is it going to be one of those things I really regrett ever doing.

I LOVE the car but this is totally ruining it for me :(

I imagine the work wont be less than about £700 at a guess. (i will try and use the Honda out of warrenty service to try and subsidise it)

Can someone please help me.

Thanks

Nick
By undecided
schmergyTR wrote:Hi,

I have the second gear problem quite badly. I have a 03 CTR with only 20K on the clock. It is outside of warrenty :(

Has anyone had this problem fixed at their own expence?

I will try taking it into Honda v soon but before i have time to read this thread properly can anyone give me any heads up as to weather its even worth them doing any work?

Are there any 100% fixes or is it going to be one of those things I really regrett ever doing.

I LOVE the car but this is totally ruining it for me :(

I imagine the work wont be less than about £700 at a guess. (i will try and use the Honda out of warrenty service to try and subsidise it)

Can someone please help me.

Thanks

Nick

Had mine done and while it isn't 100% fixed (far from it), it is an improvement.

If it's as bad as mine was then it's worth doing, if it's only a small issue that happens occasionally then with you being out of warranty it's maybe not worth it (I'm sure it will be very expensive)
By schmergyTR
How bad was yours?...was it still doing it when warm?(mine doesnt).....but is really annoying and would prove a problem to sell the car if cold on test drive.

Mine is REALLY notchy when cold and if its very cold them it wont even go in. without forcing it and then a unsightly crunch occurs.

Most cold mornings I go from 1st to 3rd!

Its really upsettign becaseu I love the car it ruins the whole thing :(
By undecided
schmergyTR wrote:How bad was yours?...was it still doing it when warm?(mine doesnt).....but is really annoying and would prove a problem to sell the car if cold on test drive.

Mine is REALLY notchy when cold and if its very cold them it wont even go in. without forcing it and then a unsightly crunch occurs.

Most cold mornings I go from 1st to 3rd!

Its really upsettign becaseu I love the car it ruins the whole thing :(

Before the fix it would almost always crunch (even when warmed up a bit), often would just grind and not go in at all. After the fix it still crunches about 50% of the time when cold, when warm maybe only 5% of the time. Getting into 1st gear has also improved greatly (eg when rolling up to the lights at 3-4mph it will actually go into 1st now). Only reason I managed to convince Honda to do the fix even after showing them the service bulletin was by saying I thought it was a safety concern (if I can't get into 2nd when trying to overtake I'm likely to end up in an accident). Honda really are completely useless.

If they do yours make sure they replace the syncros on 2nd and 1st as well if possible, I'm convinced that's why I'm still having problems (apparently they inspected them and they were fine but I very much doubt that due to the continued problems, they weren't on the list of parts to change so they didn't - doubt they even looked at them).

The first fix doc for the problem apparently stated to replace them, the updated doc says only do it if looks damaged (honda realised there were so many cars with the problem and were trying to save some cash I think).

You're right though, completely ruins the experience.
By ausR
undecided wrote:http://www.shonk.org/Civic/Bulletins/Uk ... lletin.jpg

There's a copy of the Honda UK bulletin, well done Shonk - very interested to see how your claim goes.

With any luck going in armed with this doc will stop honda trying to palm people off with the "there are no known gearbox problems" excuse.
link doesnt seem to be working. does anyone still have a copy of this.

im trying to get my dc5r fixed here in australia im getting a similar response as the early days for you guys. any info i can arm myself with would be much appreciated.
By ausR
pm replied, thanks
By Shonk
Sorry i had a court case comeing up with honda so renamed the dir

http://www.shonk.org/Civic1/

ausR wrote:
undecided wrote:http://www.shonk.org/Civic/Bulletins/Uk ... lletin.jpg

There's a copy of the Honda UK bulletin, well done Shonk - very interested to see how your claim goes.

With any luck going in armed with this doc will stop honda trying to palm people off with the "there are no known gearbox problems" excuse.
link doesnt seem to be working. does anyone still have a copy of this.

im trying to get my dc5r fixed here in australia im getting a similar response as the early days for you guys. any info i can arm myself with would be much appreciated.
By Bazza R
Glad I read this post - Mine has been having 2nd gear problems for a wee while and my MOT is happening 18th - warranty runs out on the 28th; what great timing :thumbup:
By J
Bazza R wrote:Glad I read this post - Mine has been having 2nd gear problems for a wee while and my MOT is happening 18th - warranty runs out on the 28th; what great timing :thumbup:
Report it quick so that it ir registered with Honda. They will honor the fix ( yer right :sleeping: ) if it reported with in the warrenty time.
By qamvti
Hi
Here goes my first post on here, Does any one know if they is a fix for the DC5 type r 2nd gears abit funny on this car also. Yes I know its a Civic type r owners club, but help would make :smile: .
Thank you
By NeilA
Supprise supprise, I have this 2nd gear problem too. I've noticed it for the last month since I've had it and is mostly when cold. It is very grindy and sometime won't go in to 2nd from first at cold without a bit of excess force :???: When nicely warmed it is a lot better and there is only a hint of light grinding.

I did drive to the garage today but as I got nearer my problem just seemed to disappear - typical! I turned round and went home.

I still have about 9 months warranty left so do you think I should get it looked at? I guess I've got nothing to loose...

Neil.
By NeilA
I've booked it in for Wednesday next week. They said to drop it off Tues night so it is stone cold for the engineer in the morning :smile:

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]