The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
By RichE
just been having a chat at the dealers and there is now a fix for the 2nd gear problem.Apparently the problem was something to do with 5th and 6th interfering with 2nd somehow when cold, cant remember the full story.Dont know if this is the fix we,ve been waiting for but the engineer had done his own ctr and said it was much better.
Last edited by RichE on Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Type-r 52
Do tell more, would be nice if they sorted it out a bit. Making do with a 1st -3rd when cold change. Will they do it as a recall? What did the bloke actually do to his?

Cheers for any info bud.
By RichE
Best thing is to contact your dealer and ask if hes heard of the fix.Wont be a recall it will be upto you to ask i would imagine.
By RichE
So has no one else heard about this then?
By Andy_CTR
I have just enquired about this, and there is a brand new fix just out :D . I have already had all the synchros replaced, but this made bugger all difference. My car is going back in 2 weeks (again :( ) for this new fix. I'll speak to the head mechanic then (Master Technician 8) ) and get the full details ...

NB - Honda will not alert you of any warranty issues they notice on your car. They will wait for you to complain and THEN do the work..

eg if the mechanic test drives your car after a service and notices the gear issue he WILL NOT tell you about the bulletin.

This is one of the reasons this board is so great !! :D
By dotty
good news although they should have sorted it for the 04 onwards IMO :x
By LeeH
Dont think so. My 05 seems to be the same. Will speak to my dealer next week because the gear change is pretty notchy/clunky when cold.
By George Agdgdgwngo
ctr gearbox is a bit wanky when cold but beautiful when warm i love it.
By LeeH
Agreed. Its the best I've come across.
By david
sorry for being slow on the uptake..but what second gear problem?
By LeeH
When its cold mine seems a bit, err how can I put It............clunky.
By RichE
Finding 2nd gear when the outside temp gets below 5c or so can be very difficult until the car is warmed up nicely.If your lucky you may not experience this but many do.
By david
ok...thanks for that...i must be one of the lucky ones... to be honest, i always use second gear from pulling away, never really use first except on santa pod or getting away from chav boys
By KingboyD
Andy_CTR wrote:NB - Honda will not alert you of any warranty issues they notice on your car. They will wait for you to complain and THEN do the work..

eg if the mechanic test drives your car after a service and notices the gear issue he WILL NOT tell you about the bulletin.
That would be down to Honda`s policy of fault rectification on customer complaint only! not the mechanics fault I might add.
By bigfoot
Had this fix ages ago better but not great
By Andy_CTR
KingboyD wrote:
Andy_CTR wrote:NB - Honda will not alert you of any warranty issues they notice on your car. They will wait for you to complain and THEN do the work..

That would be down to Honda`s policy of fault rectification on customer complaint only! not the mechanics fault I might add.
I know who's policy it is :wink:

I think that people on this board need to be aware of the situaton though.

I would imagine that most owners would feel that if faults are identified on their cars, (when in for service and being thrashed on a test drive :roll: ), they would be acted on, rather than ignored... :roll:

If people are aware of the policy, they can be proactive and push for any warranty repairs that are needed.

Andy.
Last edited by Andy_CTR on Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By RichE
Bigfoot, this latest fix has only been available for a few weeks.I was told they were working on it when i had my service in the middle of September. :D
By BlingTypeR
RichE wrote:Bigfoot, this latest fix has only been available for a few weeks.I was told they were working on it when i had my service in the middle of September. :D
my ctr is going to the garage on tuesday to have the second gearbox re-build, this time they're replacing the 6th gear which apparently causes all the problems with 2nd.
By RichE
Keep us posted mate as my warrantys a bit more complicated so ill wait to see if this is a genuine fix.
By LeeH
Are the problems above on the 04's or pre face lifts :?:

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]