The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
By CivicTypeReplica
djtopa wrote:I don't see a point of second hand one.
Why would somebody take off gearbox that works perfect?
And 99% have same problem with 2nd gear :-D

Btw Honda part dealer in Croatia told me that 90% my "gearbox fork" (Thats how we call that part in Croatia) is demaged when I ask about 2nd gear.
i agree

if i miss second gear when racing then it it difficult to change between first, second and neutral for a bit, until you do more changes and it loosens up again.

it's almost as if the fork gets damaged and then wears back into shape again.

i hadnt missed a gear for 6 months, then missed second 2 weeks ago and it took nearly a week to completely get back to normal.

i would like to inspect my selector fork and see if it has any damage or bend etc...

cheers, sam
By Kemixx
this wouldnt surprise me, taking into consideration where the gear stick is located on the ctr's as i'd imagine it does have to do a bit of a detour to get accross then down the box?
By Heyhoe
Anybody had this repaired out of warranty?

I read the first 8 pages but do not have time reading the rest.

My gearbox is very notchy and grinds going into 2nd sometimes. Its done 40.000k and its a 54 plate.

Changed the transmission fluid and its exactly the same (castrol smx)

Thanks in advance. Paul.
By djtopa
Heyhoe wrote:Anybody had this repaired out of warranty?

I read the first 8 pages but do not have time reading the rest.

My gearbox is very notchy and grinds going into 2nd sometimes. Its done 40.000k and its a 54 plate.

Changed the transmission fluid and its exactly the same (castrol smx)

Thanks in advance. Paul.
I had same problem,then I put harder front motor mount & shifting
is a lot better :thumbup:
My OEM mount was broker so chk that :!:
And thats cheapest fix for better shifting...
By batasquad
My 2nd gear change is a nightmare, i replaced the clutch and still its a pain to get it in there and it crunches too, i noticed that when i was doing the work that the front engine mount was not very healthy at all, i'll order one and replace it and get back to you with the results :thumbup:
By djdannyp
djtopa wrote:Cheapest fix=forget it :-D
Exactly what im doing :wink:
By jacobs53
Can anyone say for certain that replacing 5th and 6th syncromesh assembly resolves the issue with selecting 2nd gear? I have the techincal buletin that Honda released and it states "2nd gear can be difficult to engage, from 1st or 3rd, due to excessive friction from the 5th and 6th synromesh cone".

In my opinion and experience in building gearboxes, the friction between the syncro cones and actual gears only has an affect if your shifting from 5th or 6th to 2nd, as the syncro stays locked and doesn't disenage the previous gear fast enough. Or the offending syncro cone utilises the same selector ring as 2nd gear. However, the latter isn't true because it uses different selector rings (1st and 2nd, 5th and 6th) and the initial comment isn't true either because people complains (and myself) about shifting problems from 1st to 2nd or from 3rd to 2nd.

Therefore, is the actual problem the syncro cone on 2nd gear? If we think about this logically, we only experience this issue when the gearbox oil is cold....
By big.h
1st to 2nd in mine is quite crunchy sometimes if you dont get it spot on and when really cold.

my car is still under warranty will they fix it if i take it back?

and what is the problem exactly?

cheers

harry.
By RobbieM
I had the second gear fix done at Honda under warentee, it was slightly better but seemed to make it harder getting it into 3rd.
Scince then at 80k I had a new stage 1 clutch and fly wheel fitted as the clutch was slipping, this cost me £550 at a Bosh center not including parts (they also fitted new engine mounts) as soon as I got the car back, it started poping out of second gear when driving slow or when releasing throttle, i.e. as soon as there's no pressure on the gear it jumps out.
I spoke to bosh and they said its my 2nd gear syncro and not they're fault as they had not touched the gears, I don't blame them for this.
Be warned, all the times I was grinding it to get into 2nd gear must have damaged it somehow, so now I need to spend another £700 ish to get a recon box fitted.
By FireBIade2
I like the idea of the engine mounts, although I have no clue how to inspect one for wear and tear (anyone help me here?). My car tends to have a little bounce when going up through the gears, however usually after a service it is smoother for a while. I guess that indicates they are tightening up something, possibly the engine mounts?
By s-ep
FireBIade2 wrote:I like the idea of the engine mounts, although I have no clue how to inspect one for wear and tear (anyone help me here?). My car tends to have a little bounce when going up through the gears, however usually after a service it is smoother for a while. I guess that indicates they are tightening up something, possibly the engine mounts?
The most common one to failed, is the one at the back of the front bumper. Normally, if you use a torch, you can see the OEM(rubber) engine mounts will start to split. You can't miss it...
By pow216
I had my 5-6 synchro replaced yesterday. After writing to Honda I got the part for 2/3 of the normal price. It made sense to get a new clutch on at the same time. The bill was very painful indeed.

The gearbox is much better now from 1st to 2nd when cold, and 5th to 6th is vastly improved too. The box isn't perfect, but it's perhaps gone from 4/10 to 8/10. Rather strangely 5th seems a little harder to get and will not engage when stationary, but its fine on the move. Occasionally there is still the odd "spring loaded" change, but I would now describe it as a good box.

The garage said the old 5-6 synchro was noticeably worn, and looked like it had suffered oil starvation.
Last edited by pow216 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By bigstotty1
having problems with my gear box got quite a heavy clutch so having to push it all the way in to change gear and even then its clunky and hard work having the gear box oil changed next week will this make any difference at all or have i to go down to honda to get it sorted out?
By s-ep
EuroRallye wrote:If anybody has real problems with their gearboxes I can supply new Honda EP3 JDM Civic Type R gearboxes and new Honda FN2 Civic Type R gearboxes at very reasonable prices. Both come with Honda helical LSDs.

For competition use I supply Bollverk dog gearboxes (5 speed).
Wow, not cheap at all. I suppose this is something where most of Honda's have suffered for a long time.
By pow216
I changed the gearbox oil in mine last weekend.

2nd is slightly better. The rest of the gears are much better, 5/6 are like butter. The old oil was quite dirty surprisingly.

I bought 3 litres of Honda MTF III. You definitely only need 2 litres, but it is bang on 2 litres, so get a tube / funnnel or something to help get the oil into the box. I got the oil in a bit easier after removing the near side wheel. Drain plug accepts a 3/8" square ratchet and filler plug is 17mm I think. I had to put a box spanner over the normal spanner to undo the filler to make a longer lever it was so tight.

It is worth trying compared to a £600 synchro.
By DJ_HURSE
pow216 wrote:I changed the gearbox oil in mine last weekend.

2nd is slightly better. The rest of the gears are much better, 5/6 are like butter. The old oil was quite dirty surprisingly.

I bought 3 litres of Honda MTF III. You definitely only need 2 litres, but it is bang on 2 litres, so get a tube / funnnel or something to help get the oil into the box. I got the oil in a bit easier after removing the near side wheel. Drain plug accepts a 3/8" square ratchet and filler plug is 17mm I think. I had to put a box spanner over the normal spanner to undo the filler to make a longer lever it was so tight.

It is worth trying compared to a £600 synchro.
Thanks pow216, i'll probably do it in the new year now, due to it being so close to christmas.
By EuroRallye
s-ep wrote:
EuroRallye wrote:If anybody has real problems with their gearboxes I can supply new Honda EP3 JDM Civic Type R gearboxes and new Honda FN2 Civic Type R gearboxes at very reasonable prices. Both come with Honda helical LSDs.

For competition use I supply Bollverk dog gearboxes (5 speed).
Wow, not cheap at all. I suppose this is something where most of Honda's have suffered for a long time.
Not cheap? I am selling gearboxes that Honda sell for £4,600 plus VAT for £1,750 plus VAT.

The LSD alone is over £1,000 plus VAT from Honda.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]