The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
By NeilA
It's been in since Tues night now, hope it's ok. They said mechanic has driven it on wednesday am and found gears notchy and they think i got an oil eak also! I topped it up about two weeks ago to full and now they say it was minimum when they checked yesterday :shock:

They got my approval to take out the gear box and check it over. Not heard anything since Weds AM, :???:

I'm stuck with a jazz till whenever as they said it will be a few days. I guess they gotta read the haynes manual (lol) to see how to take it out. I have to say at Norton Way Honda Letchworth they are really good and very friendly. I just hope the mechanical bit is just as good. :-D

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. :-D
By Mark
just booked mine in for this second gear problem when cold - car got extended warrenty so will let you know how it gets on
By MattRST
mark_eas wrote:just booked mine in for this second gear problem when cold - car got extended warrenty so will let you know how it gets on
Any update on this as my 05 EP3 is getting pretty annoying trying to get into 2nd :(
By NeilA
After taking mine in they said they replaced some of the internal components in the gear box. It felt a bit better at first but to be honest there isn't much improvement but it is bearable. Saying that, over the last few days it has some how improved and feels a lot smoother. It's probably the big bump I went over the other day that knocked all the bits about :lol:
By Mark
MattRST wrote:
mark_eas wrote:just booked mine in for this second gear problem when cold - car got extended warrenty so will let you know how it gets on
Any update on this as my 05 EP3 is getting pretty annoying trying to get into 2nd :(
NeilA wrote:After taking mine in they said they replaced some of the internal components in the gear box. It felt a bit better at first but to be honest there isn't much improvement but it is bearable. Saying that, over the last few days it has some how improved and feels a lot smoother. It's probably the big bump I went over the other day that knocked all the bits about :lol:
they said it was fine and in fairness ii feels alot better then it did 2 weeks ago when the weather was really cold!?! !strange i know perhaps it going to fall out soon
By CivicTypeReplica
CHEAP GEARBOX IMPROVER::

I have been doing a little drag racing recently (at Santa Pod) and this gear problem has wound me up a lot!

Have done two events now, one with old gear oil and it was terrible, one with new gear oil and it was better.

However, i have now added some Slick 50 gearbox treatment from halfords and the shift is improved.

Still not easy when cold but much better when warm. Drag racing stresses are yet to be tested, but i would recommend adding this 12.99 wonder juice to your box to make the best of a bad situation.

After my next drag event i will let you know what improvements i have felt.

Just beware, it is not intended for LSDs, but the quaife is an ATB, so could well be ok, but just check. For stock diff it is fine.

Happy shifting!

Cheers, Sam.
By CivicTypeReplica
Slick 50 have been producing additives for a long time, we have used them to great extent in land rover boxes and have had excellent results, we have also added them to the final drive on various boats and they can significantly reduce UJ noise.

Anyway, for the record, i have put slick 50 near my car.

Cold shift, enagaing first from standstill : improved.

Cold shift reversing out of garage etc: improved.

Cold shift cruising to work: improved.

Warm shift : lovely, couldn't complain at all.

Warm shift, racing: still difficult, but i don't miss gears anymore. Did two runs last night and the car shifted without fail, but you do have to be careful, and shift positively. It's no VAG shift, but at least i can change gear reliably under load now.

Those are my results anyway, but it seems every box is different!

It worked for me, so make your own decision!
By econetcarrier
Dammit - last Sunday I unexpectantly get the 2nd-gear crunch and it doesn't catch. Just been confirmed that it's the synchro from Honda Newton in Croydon. But the bill is just over £1K! So now my friends I'm waiting to pick up my car and the technicians report so I can go to a trusted garage to get it done for cheaper. What a bummer :sad:
By evilowl
CivicTypeReplica wrote:Slick 50 have been producing additives for a long time, we have used them to great extent in land rover boxes and have had excellent results, we have also added them to the final drive on various boats and they can significantly reduce UJ noise.

Anyway, for the record, i have put slick 50 near my car.

Cold shift, enagaing first from standstill : improved.

Cold shift reversing out of garage etc: improved.

Cold shift cruising to work: improved.

Warm shift : lovely, couldn't complain at all.

Warm shift, racing: still difficult, but i don't miss gears anymore. Did two runs last night and the car shifted without fail, but you do have to be careful, and shift positively. It's no VAG shift, but at least i can change gear reliably under load now.

Those are my results anyway, but it seems every box is different!

It worked for me, so make your own decision!
You do realise that Slick50 is just teflon? Sorry PTFE

http://skepdic.com/slick50.html
By CivicTypeReplica
A good read Evilowl.

And yet my gearbox still shifts more smoothly than it used to. When i was under the car last weekend, and a little lost for jobs, i whipped out my magnetic drain plugs just out of curiosity. I lost a little oil in the process, and got an oily hand, but there was no buildup of metal filings etc on either the sump or gearbox drain plug.

A result which i was pleased with.

Slick 50 packagings boast PTFE wording all over them, so yes, it definitely contains that. But maybe there's some other stuff in there that's working well for me too.

Before Slick 50 i was struggling to avoid mis-shifting into second and/or third when at maximum load, now it's really not that difficult as long as one operates sympathetically.

I don't doubt my synchros at all for some reason, just the speed and loadings involved in drag racing seem to out-do their capacity.

For circuit driving it never fails, but the car isn't always under as hard acceleration.

I'm not trying to sell the idea to anyone, if you don't think it'll work, or help, don't bother!

Cheers, Sam.
By FireBIade2
grr I hate the 2nd gear thing :bad-words: :badrazz:
By econetcarrier
As previously reported I had had 2nd gear problem due to the synchro mesh (1st-2nd gear + 5th gear one was buggered also). Well I got a new gearbox in and due to the age and low mileage of my car Honda UK decided to give me a discount. So instead of paying circa £1600 for the gearbox + £1000 labour, I only had to pay £587! Bravo Honda - I knew there was a reason they are consistently near the top of customer satisfaction charts.
By djtopa
Sorry for posting about this common problem,but help me.
In my country are rare CTR and Honda dealers and service houses.
I wanna know what exact parts I need to fix this damn 2nd gear on 2002.g LHD CTR (2nd syncro or 5 or 6,anything else?),now it's cold out side (-10) and in morning I hardly even put in 2nd.I changed oil (Honda MTF)
How come gearbox its perfect after warm up and VTECing about 10min.
And when cold it's so hard & bad? :evil:
How syncro can be good and bad at same time? :?:

Sorry bout bad English an THNX a lot!
By Superbully
djtopa wrote:Sorry for posting about this common problem,but help me.
I wanna know what exact parts I need to fix this damn 2nd gear on 2002.g LHD CTR (2nd syncro or 5 or 6,anything else?),now it's cold out side (-10) and in morning I hardly even put in 2nd.I changed oil (Honda MTF)

between -10 and -15 here and not having any shifting problems. Guess only certain gearboxes then...
By djtopa
superbully wrote:

between -10 and -15 here and not having any shifting problems. Guess only certain gearboxes then...
I don't wanna change whole gearbox becouse of that cold 2nd problem & I don't have that money.
Otherwise gearbox is great!I need to know what parts I have to buy
By Superbully
djtopa wrote:
superbully wrote:

I don't wanna change whole gearbox becouse of that cold 2nd problem & I don't have that money.
Otherwise gearbox is great!I need to know what parts I have to buy
go and have a word with your dealer, they have all the information from their bulletins on their honda networked PC. They will be able to find all bulletins related to gearboxes and compare them to your problem and find that one that fits you

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]