The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
By tjscott3
Hi,
i have a k20 from an ep3 that i swapped into my elise s1 which has been running fine for around 3 months now, but as of two days ago, the car will not rev past 4k rpm. its as if it hits the static limiter. after a bit of searching i found most people were pointing towards: oil level, which is fine, the Vtec oil pressure sensor which i replaced today with no change or the VSS sensor which can come apart, i pulled this out of the gearbox and all looks good.
the car pulls hard right up to the 4k and runs totally fine otherwise. am i right in thinking my only other option here is to swap out the vtec solenoid? the car doesn't have an obd2 plug due to its age and i dont have the pins to wire one into my ecu ( i used a new e plug for the conversion harness so i cant cut and splice it in without them ), the ECU is also a k100 as opposed to a kpro so im unable to plug into it to get a read on anything there. so im running out of ideas here and i have a track day in a couple of weeks so really want to get this sorted asap.
thanks.
By Lewisgame
Does sound like the VSS or the engine ECU isn’t seeing the speed signal from that sensor.
Depending on how your car is wired up and who set up the K100, revving the engine when the vehicle is standstill will have a early rev limit or ‘launch control’ rev limit. This can be overridden by pressing the brake pedal and accelerator at the same time and the engine will rev right to the redline.
By tjscott3
the car does have the stationary limiter enabled but as its a k100 i dont really have a way of turning this off. so if the brake override trick works would that mean my vss sensor has failed? i had seen that they could break so i removed it and it is all in one piece.

Added in 31 minutes 20 seconds:
tried it with the brakes and no change, although im not sure theres anything wired from my brakes to the honda ecu so i also disconnected the vss to see if that would make any difference but still hits the 4k rev limiter

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]