The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
Hi guys,

So I recently supercharged my ep3 and recently I have been getting an intermittent high and sometimes low pitch squeal? It is fine when I first start it up and can take a while to become apparent, but I'm finding its after a good 'thrashing' it appears. Only when off throttle/changing gears it's there. If I apply the smallest amount of pressure to throttle it goes away?

I had the charger 'overhauled' (new nose cone bearings and oil etc) by grinspeed before fitting it but it was fine for the first couple hundred miles. It's still running the same pulley that was on the charger when I purchased it (no history of mileage) and it had a new Gates belt fitted when I installed it.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks

Karl
By karlos_91
Anybody have any ideas? Had a look today and it sounds more so like it's coming from the other end of the supercharger itself (not pulley end) here's YouTube link to a clip I recorded earlier when it was actually making the noise but it seems to be there more often than it was to start with? :(

It seems like an air leak from the actual charger/manifold? I had the manifold repaired for cracks by Grinspeed when they done the 'overhaul/service' on the charger before I fitted it and was quiet when fitted but this noise seems to be getting louder.

When driving noise goes away when any throttle is applied but off throttle it's there again.

Thanks
I spoke to Stevie earlier today and he's not sure but as I said it's coming from the other side of the charger (intake side) there are no bearings so he thinks possibly something has actually gone wrong with the blades?

But on inspection I was put under the impression the blades had lost a little coating but nothing drastic and have covered 4-500 miles since overhaul. But I don't want to rule out an air leak just yet. Hoping to have a better look weekend.
Found the issue a while back for this but thought I would update. Put a smoke machine on it and it was the paper gasket that mates the charger to the manifold that had failed. Have now done away with that and hondabond has took its place... no more squeal :)
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]