The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
Hi Everyone,

First and foremost, I 100% appreciate that this subject might have been covered, but I have searched (High and Low), and not yet found anyone that has exactly the same symptoms.

I have a strange click/tap noise that sounds like its coming from the front drivers side. (Not sure exactly where from but sounds like it's coming from, foot-well/Strut Tower/Drivers Side Engine Mount etc.)

It can be heard with the windows up, or down and although It's a pretty quiet click sound, it is a noticeable click if you get me.

You can hear it when pulling off from a start, reversing, and also when driving down the road/motorway by putting foot on accelerator, then coming off, on, off etc.

Nb. You can easily recreate the click sound:
Example -> Say you are going slowly down the road, accelerate 'Click', then come off the accelerator 'Click', On 'click', Off 'Click' .... (weird thing is, if you accelerate slowly/sharply, until you come off the accelerate it will remain silent, then as soon as you come off 'Click')

You do have to mute the stereo to really hear it, but it is noticeable (it's not just me being OCD).

To try and rectify, I have replaced so far:
Tegiwa Subframe Locking Collars (still using the original bolts mind)
OEM Top Mounts and Bearings
OEM Top Mount Nuts
Eibach -30 ABP Lowering Springs
Eibach Camber Bolts
OEM Ball Joints
OEM Tie Rods
OEM Drop-Links
OEM Axle Nuts
OEM ARB Mounts
OEM Engine Mounts All x4
OEM Clutch/Pressure Plate/Thrust Bearing
OEM Complete Exhaust System (Apparently the very last one as they are now discontinued)[/list][/list]

As you can see, I have spent quite literally £'sss trying to rectify this symptom, and funnily enough aside from this, the car runs absolutely spot on and is smooth as you like. just this annoying click/tapping sound as described above.

Any help on the subject I would be most grateful.

Many Thanks
Adam
Hello All,

To answer the questions:

*Can I post a video - As daft as it sounds, I don't think you would hear anything on the video as it isn't that loud.
*Exactly what part of the exhaust did I replace - Cat-back OEM (Middle Pipe, Cat and Rear Silencer), then replaced the downpipe doughnut and spring retainers.

I hope this helps... Adam.
Nope, this noise has been present since I purchase the car 18 months ago.

Funny thing is, my old EP3 about 7 yrs ago developed this noise just before I sold it. That only had 19k on the clock at the time.

I am wondering whether it's linked to the Subframe bolts, as the manual states that these are stretch bolts that need replacing when removed... Thoughts?
TypeAPB wrote:Nope, this noise has been present since I purchase the car 18 months ago.

Funny thing is, my old EP3 about 7 yrs ago developed this noise just before I sold it. That only had 19k on the clock at the time.

I am wondering whether it's linked to the Subframe bolts, as the manual states that these are stretch bolts that need replacing when removed... Thoughts?
Doubt it would be the bolts I have taken my subframe down to replace the front engine mount and never had this problem, what about the only thing you haven't replaced a shock absorber?
I have the same problem :( I've searched every where and can't find any info on it :( I brought my first ep3 in March and the problem has only been the last month or so I have put lowering springs on and changed all the ball joints and it's still happening :(

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Added in 6 minutes 17 seconds:
The only thing I've been advised to change the cv joint by a local mechanic and that's the only thing you haven't changed lol :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Steering rack.... Maybe? My EP3 used to do similar, I did the forum thread trick - made a small hole in the rack boots and sprayed in penetrating spray / lube etc. Used to do it every 6 months or so. Used to get a knock sometimes especially when pulling off.

Just a thought. Took me ages to pin it down. Fairly common in EP3's.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]