The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
By HotBob
Hi all new to the site and Hondas. I purchased my civic 2 weeks ago and loved it until one day it just wouldn't start. I started perfectly well the day before. Long story short IGP fuse and fuel pump fuse had blown. Replaced them but still no luck. It's bringing up no codes. Green key lights not flashing. It has fuel but doesn't seem to have a spark. Does anyone have any experience with this. Thankyou
By fuzzylogic
I take it that she'll turn over but won't fire up?

If so, you may need to clean the IACV(Idle Air Control Valve) which is attached to the throttle body. Its purpose is to open to allow air into the engine. If it is stuck shut, then no air can get in and the ECU won't allow a start because of the over rich mixture.

Mine did this last year(2003 EP3). The IACV eventually stuck shut. The engine was turned over and over until battery was nearly flat. It was getting spark but no air to mix with fuel. Whilst doing this, petrol was being pumped and dumped down the exhaust.

When the RAC man finally coaxed it into life, there was loads of blue smoke coming out the back. It was running rough, so he took the IACV apart, cleaned it, put it back together, and it started properly first time afterwards. Proper warm-up idle speed and proper idle speed once engine had warmed up. No more blue smoke. ECU able to control the correct amounts of fuel and air. Car has since passed two MOT's with no hiccups on the emissions, so all OK there.

Mark
By HotBob
That's for the replys. Currently I'm at a loose end. Originally 2 fuse IGP and Fuel pump fuse had gone which is leading me to think it's an electrical issue. After replacing the fuses it cranks and has fuel. The pump is priming. The relays clicking. No green key light flashing. No codes.
By HotBob
So tonight I popped the cam cover off and chain seems fine and all timing marks are aligned. Next is to test for a spark but with the dark nights drawing in its getting harder and harder to get stuff done.
By HotBob
Checked for a spark today. Seems present but weak and intermittent on all coils. I pulled the fuel pump fuse and it fired briefly. Can anybody help as to why I'd have a weak and intermittent spark. Thankyou

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]