The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
By pbarwell1
I've Got a loud knocking noise coming from the o/s drive shaft over uneven ground at 30-40mph , originally I thought maybe rack slider or inner Cv joint .

Now having changed both a complete new drive shaft and the rack slider I've realised that there's quite a bit of play from the intermediate shaft to the inner cv joint splines .

Obviously I can't justify spending £380 for a new part from Honda , so a second hand one is needed .

So my question to somebody in the know is

Will the intermediate shaft From a newer FN2 fit the ep3 ?

I want a decent shaft and bearing so a newer less mileage one would be the best option

Thanks for looking Phil

Sent from my HTC One_dude using Tapatalk

Added in 30 minutes 57 seconds:
The complete intermediate shaft part numbers for FN2 & EP3 are the same( pfkl602782 ) would like to be 100% sure before I go out and buy one though

By pbarwell1
The complete intermediate shaft part numbers for FN2 & EP3 are the same( pfkl602782 ) would like to be 100% sure before I go out and buy one though

By pbarwell1
The play is on the splines where the shaft couples to the inner cv, I have visually checked the bearing but it seemed okay although I may be wrong .
It's a really annoying noise kind of like the drive shaft is unbalanced and wants to pop off .
Adi-r i suppose your right I'll change the bearing and inspect the parts whilst off , I was just being lazy thinking it would be easier with a second hand shaft/bearing ,knowing my luck it would be worse than the original

By pbarwell1
I've ordered the bearing and seal hopefully this will cure it , I'll also be putting the drive shaft heat shield back on which I removed last year

By mat_555
Bit a thread revival, but im interested in the outcome of this...

I have a very similar issue, I have a vibration under acceleration between 60-80mph in all gears. Tyres balanced swapped back to front, so its not that. Engine mounts were gone, replaced them no real difference other than my engines not rocking all over the place now. Cars on 135K miles.

I got under the car the other day and rocking the CV cup that attaches the the half shaft seems to be where the play is.

This video, posted by someone else can be used as an example:

I am guessing there should be minimal to no movement at that joint between the half shaft and driveshaft. It doesn't seem like the bearing is worn either because the half shaft isn't actually moving, it seems the movement is actually on the joint of the splines between the half shaft and the inner CV cup. I may be wrong but it would be interesting if the user above "pbarwell1" solved the problem with a bearing swap..

Obviously OEM honda half shaft and drive shafts are out of the question for a 135K car due to price.
J&R driveshafts from ebay seems to get some good/some bad reviews, seems some people have to keep exchanging driveshafts until they get a good/balanced one. One plus is there driveshafts are cheap, however they have no half shaft option. Drive shafts £59 each delivered.
Febest - Who suggest their products are manufactured in Germany and good quality, although I have never heard of them, have the inner CV joint for the EP3 for both sides (male and female ends). Seems like you get free delivery in Europe. Again no half shaft replacement. £60 for complete inner joint each.
Insane shafts, have a new half shaft for £250, rated to 500bhp, and driveshafts also rated to 500bhp for £200 each, but again its a bit pricey for a 135K car.

If the half shaft is worn on the splines, Im thinking as above, try get one from a low mileage FN2 for cheap and either get an inner from febest or whole shaft from J&R any thoughts?

Before I proceed I am going to stick a go pro under the car and a light, and take it for a trip on the motorway to see if I can actually see what is vibrating at them particular speeds so I can try and narrow it down a little more.

any help appreciated. Thanks, Matt
By pbarwell1
I still have this annoying problem ,the new intermediate bearing and cheap J&R drive shaft cured it for a few weeks then it came back .

As your video shows that is the exact same movement that is on mine which is more than excessive.

It's more noticeable at lower speeds on my car .I've contemplated buying the insane driveshafts like yourself but they don't come with the half / intermediate shaft and mounting bracket .

By pbarwell1
That is pricey for a complete set but I'm sure it would last another 10 years ,plus if it gets rid of the annoying vibration it's worth every penny its driving me mad .

Does the fn2 half shaft even fit the ep3 ?

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]