The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
Hi guys not posted on here before but thought I'd share my findings on my setup .

So I've had a knocking noise on uneven roads from the front end on my ep3 which I put down to the compliance bushes. I recently changed the wishbone bushes to the super pro kit which did not solve the knocking, also every part has been replaced suspension wise in the past 6months including
:Steering arms
:track rods
:buddy club rcas
:arb superpro bushes
:new bilstein b4 shocks
:pro eibach 30mm springs
:Honda top mounts
: Honda rack slider & regressed
:TEGIWA RACK RAISER ...

Basically every wearable part has been replaced inspected and had a full geometry setup . Only this last week I have diagnosed the problem to be in the steering rack as it has slight lateral play .

Now surely the rack slider can't have worn down within a couple of months .

I have been told that the rack raisers speed up wear and tear in the steering rack but changing the wearable slider every couple of months is that normal with such setup ?

Is the tegiwa rack raiser even worth the bother ?

Would a solid bronze slider work better with this setup or just cause more trouble in the long run ?

Personally I'm think of going back to the oem bracket and throwing the raiser in the scrap bin !!

I have a friend with exact same setup minus the raiser and he's had no trouble whatsoever

Phil

Sent from my HTC One_dude using Tapatalk

Added in 2 hours 18 seconds:
IMAG0881.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IMAG0881.jpg

Old (left) vs new (right) minimal visual wear however the knocking noise from after just 6 months is ridiculous loud. Prob covered 2000 miles on the left slider .

I know this topic has been covered numerous times but are they supposed to wear so quickly !

I've experienced the same issues. The rack raiser bracket acts like a lever bar against the steering rack. Increasing the wear on the steering rack slider.
I'm now using the solid bronze slider and haven't had any issues since. But I now don't drive the EP3 regularly and try to avoid poor roads when I do drive it. But I'd imagine it would last far longer.
It's a compromise having one and not. Don't use one and risk more bump steer on lowered cars. Use one and risk wear on the steering rack.
mc36155 wrote:Or invest in Some inverted track rod ends and get rid of the rack raiser. Or also replace with a bronze slider to bullet proof it
Cant do that, inverting the rod ends invokes a LOAD of bump steer.
Eric_Sn@il wrote:
mc36155 wrote:Or invest in Some inverted track rod ends and get rid of the rack raiser. Or also replace with a bronze slider to bullet proof it
How come? i thought that one of the points on lowered vehicles was that it meant the track rod could lie flatter once mounted underneath the strut arm? i guess if you are not lowered alot you could go to far the other way???
mc36155 wrote:
Eric_Sn@il wrote:
How come? i thought that one of the points on lowered vehicles was that it meant the track rod could lie flatter once mounted underneath the strut arm? i guess if you are not lowered alot you could go to far the other way???
Not sure if its me adding a lot of caster to the front, but with mine underneath the strut im getting massive bump steer :(
Maybe... Guess that sloping the struts back with the caster and inwards with camber will necessitate really short tie rods giving big angle changes over bumps leading to aggressive bump steer??
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]