The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
By kaner.eb
i have a vibration/grinding noise low down the rev range which i though from what i read on here was the common input shaft bearing grinding/vibration low down the revs if you press the clutch in it dissapears, could this be the heatshield ?
By maz88
ive had this noise for 3 weeks or so now and today ive taken off the driveshaft heatshield, took it for a drive and can no longer hear that irratating whine noise, will try and see if i can get it back on without the sound any ideas?
By OOCH
mat wrote:you will need,
  • around 45 minutes of free time,
    a 12mm spanner (a flex head ratchet spanner will save loads of time)
    a jack,
    axle stands,
    a hammer,
    piece of wood or similar to chock rear wheels (civic handbrakes are rubbish remember)
do this,
  • park car on level surface,
    apply handbrake,
    chock rear wheels,
    jack up car,
    support with axle stands,
    lay under car on your back with your feet sticking out under the front bumper,
    locate the oil filter/right-hand side driveshaft,
    between the oil filter and the driveshaft there is a thin black curved piece of metal held in place by three bolts... undo these three bolts,
    (note that two of the bolts are easy to find, one is hiding under the oil filter)
    take the heatshield off the car,
    you will see that the washers seem to have what looks like a rusty brillo pad in them, use the hammer to flatten the washers slightly around the edges so that they don't turn around anymore, be careful not to damage the shape of the centre hole.
    put the heatshield back in place,
    tighten all three bolts,
    remove axle stands and lower the car back to the ground,
    remove the chock,
    enjoy 'strange noise at 3000rpm' free motoring.
mat.
ps. think i may take a few pictures and make this into a proper how-to, this issue/problem seems to come up all the time!!
pps. do not take it to a stealers, i was quoted 87 pounds to fix it!!

:salut:
Thanks for this, Just took mine off. Only had normal ratchet so it was a bit of a ball ache but car is now rattle free. Tried flattening the edges of the washers but no matter how much I do they will still turn with a bit of force. Do the washers need to be pretty solid or do you think that's enough? I only really want to put it back on once if I can get away with it

Edit - My rattle is still there
Last edited by OOCH on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Superman001
robyoung wrote:il see how it goes for a week or so.

Any body else taken theres off?

Ive been running with no cat heat shield for about a month, the noise at 3000rpm was driving me crazy so when I had it on a ramp to fit a new b-pipe I got them to remove the heat shield :smile:
By vtecandy
PROBLEM :bad-words:
I have a rattle that sounds like a heat-shield resonating.

The noise is only really there when accelerating and between i guess 2-3000rpm.

It does it in practically any gear providing the revs are low enough YET will not replicate the noise when idling only when the gearbox is under load.

It sounds like it is coming from the passenger side.

RESOLUTION ATTEMPTS :roll:
I have removed the black drive shaft heat-shield covering the bearing.
I have removed the exhaust manifold heat shield.
I have removed the i-vtec cover.
I have removed the plug cover.
The CAT shields have been pulled and checked and seem solid enough to believe its not them (plus they are too central for where the noise comes from)

does anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be? or any suggestions of how i can replicate the noise whilst being able to listen from the outside or underneath?
By luke beard
mat wrote:you will need,
  • around 45 minutes of free time,
    a 12mm spanner (a flex head ratchet spanner will save loads of time)
    a jack,
    axle stands,
    a hammer,
    piece of wood or similar to chock rear wheels (civic handbrakes are rubbish remember)
do this,
  • park car on level surface,
    apply handbrake,
    chock rear wheels,
    jack up car,
    support with axle stands,
    lay under car on your back with your feet sticking out under the front bumper,
    locate the oil filter/right-hand side driveshaft,
    between the oil filter and the driveshaft there is a thin black curved piece of metal held in place by three bolts... undo these three bolts,
    (note that two of the bolts are easy to find, one is hiding under the oil filter)
    take the heatshield off the car,
    you will see that the washers seem to have what looks like a rusty brillo pad in them, use the hammer to flatten the washers slightly around the edges so that they don't turn around anymore, be careful not to damage the shape of the centre hole.
    put the heatshield back in place,
    tighten all three bolts,
    remove axle stands and lower the car back to the ground,
    remove the chock,
    enjoy 'strange noise at 3000rpm' free motoring.
mat.
ps. think i may take a few pictures and make this into a proper how-to, this issue/problem seems to come up all the time!!
pps. do not take it to a stealers, i was quoted 87 pounds to fix it!!

:salut:

my problem sorted without even havinf to ask! top thread [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By syzz88
Took my car to grinspeed as I was getting the irritating grinding noise at low revs, stevie took my car for a spin and automatically knew that it was the input driveshaft bearing so i booked it in to replace the bearing and changed my clutch whilst he was at it. The noise has now disappeared and it feels brand new :WOOT . I previously had taken off many heat shields which was not the problem for me unfortunately. Hope this helps anyone as this noise use to haunt me for the last 6months :shocked!:
By NorrieH
Where is the video of the noisy tensioner as i want to hear if its the same noise as mines as my one only rattles between 1to2krpm.
By lee1101
I just went out to try and remove the heatshield but I think it may have already been taken off.

Can anyone tell from these pictures? Sorry about the poor photography skills :smile:

Cheers [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By DaN-GuM
Im going to try this now as this noise is really bugging me even with Deadmau5 blaring lol
By thewholesaleltd
i had the same problem on my dc5 it was the imput shaft bearing...very annoying. Thought my engine was knocking at first..can be a scary experience lol the other minor rattle/vibration is defo the heatshields...my DC5 and both my CTRs did it. Minor
By bigun86
Had the same rattling for about 5 months, but thought nothing of it after reading up on here about the driveshaft heatshield rattling at 3k rpm.

Serviced my car last night and while we were underneath we removed the heatshield.

The noise/rattling is still occuring at aroun 2500/2600 rpm.

Is there any other heatshields that could be rattling or is it posibly the cam chain/tensioner on its way out? :scratch:
By CTR8735
Is this the noise that you can notice when I'm starting to pull way, that is related to the heatshields?
[youtubenew]
[/youtubenew]

I have it during just one/two seconds, then when revs are up it's gone. I have stock manifold with supersprint B-pipe and sebring backbox.
By k3n3t1k
Aircon pipe mounting clip above n/s wheel arch mine rattled like a bee in a can on steriods lol between 2-3k rpm try to see if its that
Last edited by k3n3t1k on Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]