The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
By thorno_58
No driveshaft heatshield on my car. So it wasnt that. spaced i-vtec cover with another washer. put a cable tie on part of the plastic undertray that seemed loose. all heatshilds are tight. ecu top bolt was loose though. tightend that also, so shall see how it goes. :)
By popey87
Spoke to a Honda technician, he said they always take the heatshield off, no point replacing it because I like to lick cows udders and it just starts rattling again a few months later. No problems :thumbup:
By Nobbys Nuts
Is there a heatshield on the passenger side as well? Already taken the drivers side off but vibration still there. Noise coming from same area but on pass side this time
By Francis
For anyone that tries replacing the driveshaft heatsheild with a new one, don't bother. Mine rattled like crazy so I got a brand new one put on, after a week that rattled too. I have to keep tightening it up every couple of weeks!
By brucelee11271940
took it to my local garage and the guy there kept telling me to not take it of, its the one just under the manifold brance kinda inbetween the drivers and passengers seats but just behind the fron bumper right?

he said it will melt something and damage sh-t, so i left it, now looking on here i think it will be ok yeh?
By brucelee11271940
Had the heatshield taken of yesterday and woow. I cannot tell you how much less noise there is going throufh the revs. There was a a grinding noise at 3k rpm, thats gone, and there were other noises that did not sound like the 3rpm grinding throughout the revs, very minor noises, now there all gone. All i hear not is the revs and the exhaust note, sounds soooooo much better. Hope it does not cause any probs with having it of though.
By djdannyp
I have had this rattle at around 3k for a while now :bad-words: gets on my *$%£in nerves!

Will be removing driveshaft heatshield when i can borrow mates low jack!

Hopefully will be the end of the noise that has tormented me for to long :lol:
By brucelee11271940
djdannyp wrote:I have had this rattle at around 3k for a while now :bad-words: gets on my *$%£in nerves!

Will be removing driveshaft heatshield when i can borrow mates low jack!

Hopefully will be the end of the noise that has tormented me for to long :lol:
Yeh it should be the end of the noise. It drove me mad!!
By djdannyp
:WOOT :WOOT :WOOT :WOOT

No more stupid rattle! Removed the driveshaft heatshield today and like you say brucelee11271940 sooooooo much better :thumbup:

I ended up going for a little B Road Bash, i was that happy it is sorted :WOOT :WOOT :WOOT :WOOT
By JC600
Does any know what size the bolts are, as i want to leave mine on. But will replace bolts, and use different washers. Thanks. :D
By mat
JC600 wrote:Does any know what size the bolts are, as i want to leave mine on. But will replace bolts, and use different washers. Thanks. :D
matwilliams wrote:you will need,
  • around 45 minutes of free time,
    a 12mm spanner (a flex head ratchet spanner will save loads of time)
    a jack,
    axle stands,
    a hammer,
    piece of wood or similar to chock rear wheels (civic handbrakes are rubbish remember)
do this,
  • park car on level surface,
    apply handbrake,
    chock rear wheels,
    jack up car,
    support with axle stands,
    lay under car on your back with your feet sticking out under the front bumper,
    locate the oil filter/right-hand side driveshaft,
    between the oil filter and the driveshaft there is a thin black curved piece of metal held in place by three bolts... undo these three bolts,
    (note that two of the bolts are easy to find, one is hiding under the oil filter)
    take the heatshield off the car,
    you will see that the washers seem to have what looks like a rusty brillo pad in them, use the hammer to flatten the washers slightly around the edges so that they don't turn around anymore, be careful not to damage the shape of the centre hole.
    put the heatshield back in place,
    tighten all three bolts,
    remove axle stands and lower the car back to the ground,
    remove the chock,
    enjoy 'strange noise at 3000rpm' free motoring.
mat.
ps. think i may take a few pictures and make this into a proper how-to, this issue/problem seems to come up all the time!!
pps. do not take it to a stealers, i was quoted 87 pounds to fix it!!

:salut:

you do not need to repace the bolts, if you want to leave the heatshield on, follow my guide above. you will not get any problems with the noise again... i did mine over a year ago and the noise has not come back.

mat.
ps. thinking about it, replacing the washers would be a big pita...
By JC600
Last time i was under the car, i sheared one of the bolts trying to take it off. But couldn't remember if they were 10mm or 13mm bolts. Thanks for the info though. :thumbup:

Was going to use rubber spacers, they won't squash down then. And i'll loctite the bolts. So shouldn't vibrate loose then. :-D
By G-Ed
Great advice :-D :-D :-D ,

Had this between 2000 & 2500 rpm, was really starting to !@%$ me off. Followed the guide, hammered the washers on the shield flat and reattached.......

NO NOISE anymore!!! Im a very happy man on a sunday morning as a result!.

One thing I would say is, I found it much easier to use a ratchet with a short extension bar instead of a spanner. And maybe put washers on the underside of each fixing before re-attaching as youve taken away some of the spacing that was there previously because of the hammering to stop the 'brillo' washers spinning.

Other than that, Spot on!!!.

Cheers :thumbup: :thumbup: :WOOT
By gusman2x
I've got pretty much the same symptoms, but I also hear the noise in neutral. Did everyone else hear this in neutral too?

By the way, never had the noise until after I went to knockhill, and had the time of my life in VTec :twisted:
By mat
gusman2x wrote:I've got pretty much the same symptoms, but I also hear the noise in neutral. Did everyone else hear this in neutral too?

By the way, never had the noise until after I went to knockhill, and had the time of my life in VTec :twisted:

the noise is created by the engine resonating at a particular frequency at a certain area in the rev range (normally around 3k) this particular frequency then causes the drive shaft heat sheild to vibrate...

so will do it in any gear, or neutral, moving, or stationary.

mat.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]