The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
By dkong0719
Not sure if its the same but im getting a weird noise at around 3000 rpm too....
After my cars been stationary for a while, ill drive and around 3000rpm 1st and 2nd gear, you hear it rattle alot but then after 5 mins of driving it stops and doesnt rattle again after until its stationary for sometime again.
Had a mate sit in the boot with boot open and he heard it was coming from around the driver side wheel area, is this the same problem you guys had?
By JDM Pete
Hi,
got the same sound.
it is strictly related to clutch. When i press is, the sound disappears. It does not sound like a bearings - rather like rattling, so i assume something vibrates near the gearbox, not inside it (bearings). is my assumption right ?
i fixed these thermal protections, but the sound did not disappear. My very good mr fixit said this is a gearbox itself and there is nothing to be worry about. Nevertheless, the sound drives me nut !

Does anybody know how to fix it, assuming that thermal protection is not the source of the problem ?

THX guys !
pete
By andy-l-type-r
JDM Pete wrote:Hi,
got the same sound.
it is strictly related to clutch. When i press is, the sound disappears. It does not sound like a bearings - rather like rattling, so i assume something vibrates near the gearbox, not inside it (bearings). is my assumption right ?
i fixed these thermal protections, but the sound did not disappear. My very good mr fixit said this is a gearbox itself and there is nothing to be worry about. Nevertheless, the sound drives me nut !

Does anybody know how to fix it, assuming that thermal protection is not the source of the problem ?

THX guys !
pete
Mines the same but if you press clutch down you tend to come off accelerator and the sound dissapears. press clutch and leave car revving sound will still be there. remove heatsheild and its gone|!!

:salut:
By Northy 8
Sounds like my ctr has developed this sound around 3000rpm
It's in next sat for a service at Honda
Will get them to check these heatshields whilst up on the ramps
By Barney
i got the mainfold heat shield off, but now have a bolt stuck in my socket, and hte cat one's bolts are rusted to bugger so will have to cut it off but, not enough room underneath for elbow room :sad:
By MrAndyGoss
siiiiiiick!

you all have no idea how happy i am to see this thread! haha was just pointed this way after starting my own! my god im so excited to get this damn devilish noise out my life! will try it tomorrow after work...toodlepip you rattling sh!t :badrazz: hehe
By JohnDoe
I have a different noise than this one that happens only when it rains and "something" under the car gets wet, and then vibrates/rattles/roars/sounds ugly. The noise stops if i throw the car in neutral, or after that certain "something" drys off.

Any ideas what this might be?
By ButchDon
Hi guys sorry to butt in on this one! But I was getting the same problems as most I've red here! Between 2k and 3k revs, worst at 2.5k revs on over run (coming down the rev range)! Took all heat shields off, engine cover! Still no change! Took it to Honda they said gear box bearings and release bearing! Got them replaced quoted £1200! Didn't fix it so didn't pay the robbing f**ckers! Pulling my hair out with this problem! Any ideas/ help or people I can speak to would be a god send if anyone can help!! Thanks guys!
By NorrieH
ButchDon wrote:Hi guys sorry to butt in on this one! But I was getting the same problems as most I've red here! Between 2k and 3k revs, worst at 2.5k revs on over run (coming down the rev range)! Took all heat shields off, engine cover! Still no change! Took it to Honda they said gear box bearings and release bearing! Got them replaced quoted £1200! Didn't fix it so didn't pay the robbing f**ckers! Pulling my hair out with this problem! Any ideas/ help or people I can speak to would be a god send if anyone can help!! Thanks guys!
My car has developed a problem like this also ive removed the cat heatshield manifold heatshield as both these were rotten away and there was a bit of play in the driveshaft heatshield so i also taken that off but the annoying rattle is there i have had the car on the ramp and still cant find out what is causing it and it tends to happen around 2 to 3krpm the noise is annoying and really like a loud clattering of a heatshield noise does anyone know what else it could be.
By 79Ronin
If your car has air conditioning there is another rattling possibility.
The metal pipe of the air condition has a fixing point,
at the lowest position where the U-turn is.
My tubing was loose, because the screw was screwed in without the mounting link between.
By sendai
dkong0719 wrote:Not sure if its the same but im getting a weird noise at around 3000 rpm too....
After my cars been stationary for a while, ill drive and around 3000rpm 1st and 2nd gear, you hear it rattle alot but then after 5 mins of driving it stops and doesnt rattle again after until its stationary for sometime again.
Had a mate sit in the boot with boot open and he heard it was coming from around the driver side wheel area, is this the same problem you guys had?

same problem here. exactly at 3000 rpm and only on could engine. after 5 min of driving no rattle. I have no plastic covers on engine and no heatshields. I checked everything under the hood, all nice and tight.

I recently installed a top quality oil cooler but I have no oil pressure issues. new oil an max dipstick level.
the oil cooler is mounted on rubber brackets and it's not vibrating....

anyway I think it's related on chain tensioner or something :scratch:
By AFF
can someone tell me where this is as i might have this problem and going to be putting car on ramps to change the exhaust

is this before the d cat pipe
By NorrieH
My noise seems to be coming from the timing area and my pal reckons its the tensioner so im going to get the chain and tensioner replaced.
By type-r-gaz
Just took my driveshaft heatshield off from the top. no jacking, no lieing in the dirt, takes some doing as you have to feel for the bolts, 3rd time i've had it off (2nd ctr) so i know where the bolts are located, but it can be done.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]