The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
By Yatman
I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this before I take my EP3 CTR back to the stealer.

I had it serviced a bout 4 weeks ago. It had since quite constantly developed a strange noise everytime the car hits around 3000 rpm (at any gear). Once it reaches aound 4000 rpm it stops (well I couldn't hear it anyway with the engine roaring away). At first it sort of sounds like 'washers vibrating on a plate'. Now that I had the window down to listen while I drive it sounds more of a grinding noise. I didn't experience any lost of power, VTEC still kicks in. Oil level top up! :scratch:

Anyone please? Many thanks! :salut:
By john101
My car also has a rattle at exactly 3200rpm ... sounds like a bolt rattling or somethin

my vtec cover has a slight vibration but ive removed that and it wasnt the prob :scratch:

ill have a look at the heatshields at the wekeend

if it is them how should i stop it ? should i just remove it ? :cool:
By robyoung
which drive shaft has the sheild? left or right?
Do you take it off from underneath the car?
By mat
you will need,
  • around 45 minutes of free time,
    a 12mm spanner (a flex head ratchet spanner will save loads of time)
    a jack,
    axle stands,
    a hammer,
    piece of wood or similar to chock rear wheels (civic handbrakes are rubbish remember)
do this,
  • park car on level surface,
    apply handbrake,
    chock rear wheels,
    jack up car,
    support with axle stands,
    lay under car on your back with your feet sticking out under the front bumper,
    locate the oil filter/right-hand side driveshaft,
    between the oil filter and the driveshaft there is a thin black curved piece of metal held in place by three bolts... undo these three bolts,
    (note that two of the bolts are easy to find, one is hiding under the oil filter)
    take the heatshield off the car,
    you will see that the washers seem to have what looks like a rusty brillo pad in them, use the hammer to flatten the washers slightly around the edges so that they don't turn around anymore, be careful not to damage the shape of the centre hole.
    put the heatshield back in place,
    tighten all three bolts,
    remove axle stands and lower the car back to the ground,
    remove the chock,
    enjoy 'strange noise at 3000rpm' free motoring.
mat.
ps. think i may take a few pictures and make this into a proper how-to, this issue/problem seems to come up all the time!!
pps. do not take it to a stealers, i was quoted 87 pounds to fix it!!

:salut:
By robyoung
matwilliams wrote:you will need,
  • around 45 minutes of free time,
    a 12mm spanner (a flex head ratchet spanner will save loads of time)
    a jack,
    axle stands,
    a hammer,
    piece of wood or similar to chock rear wheels (civic handbrakes are rubbish remember)
do this,
  • park car on level surface,
    apply handbrake,
    chock rear wheels,
    jack up car,
    support with axle stands,
    between the oil filter and the driveshaft there is a thin black curved piece of metal held in place by three bolts... undo these three bolts,
    (note that two of the bolts are easy to find, one is hiding under the oil filter)
    take the heatshield off the car,
    you will see that the washers seem to have what looks like a rusty brillo pad in them, use the hammer to flatten the washers slightly around the edges so that they don't turn around anymore, be careful not to damage the shape of the centre hole.
    put the heatshield back in place,
    tighten all three bolts,
    remove axle stands and lower the car back to the ground,
    remove the chock,
    enjoy 'strange noise at 3000rpm' free motoring.
mat.
ps. think i may take a few pictures and make this into a proper how-to, this issue/problem seems to come up all the time!!
pps. do not take it to a stealers, i was quoted 87 pounds to fix it!!

:salut:
Mate, thanks alot for the info :thumbup:
By robyoung
just took the heat shield off - sorted - Evilowl said it was ok just to leave it off. Is this safe for the car?
By mat
as far as i'm aware it's ok to leave it off, but my way (described above) leaves it on the car, the way i see it is that it must be there for a reason :scratch: and if you can fix the noise without having to take it off the car completely... why not??

mat.
By robyoung
il see how it goes for a week or so.

Any body else taken theres off?
By thorno_58
sorry to ask a noob driveshaft heatshield question...

Is it the central "silver" heatshield that runs just above the manifold? by the middle strut brace and steering rack? i cant seem to see any other heatshields anywhere near the driveshafts (by the oilfilter etc :S . I have just had a DC sports manifold fitted and the rear ES engine mount. mine has since developed a rattle around 2000rpm and another around 4000rpm. 6th gear 80mph is really anoying :(

Ive also recently had new windscreen fitted and all the clips that hold the scuttle pannel on seem really cheap. ive fitted a new trim clip in the centre this seems to have helped abit. but the rattle seems lower almost under the car/ behind the dash.

Also spaced the Ivtec cover so its not that.

Sorry to thread jack but didnt want to start another *000rpm rattle thread.

Please help! thanks.
By mat
between the oil filter and the driveshaft there is a thin black curved piece of metal held in place by three bolts

^^ this is the one that normally causes the problems.

mat.
ps. it's been black on both of the ones i have seen/fixed, with varying amounts of orange rust!
By LaudinatoR
I had a rattle/ knocking noise between 2-3000rpm. Noticed it most when moving slowish/pulling away.

When I was fitting the original airbox I took the Vtec cover off and moved the car slightly once finished with the cover still off. No noise :WOOT

So put it back on and noticed there is a part which rests on one of the filter tubes, no more noise :ymca:
By thorno_58
tall_dave wrote:thorno_58: This is what you're looking for:

Thank you! day off tomorrow so shall make this my task. as daft as it sounds i havnt seen anything like this on either side of the car. TDI north said one of them had already been removerd previously. we shall see. Thanks again.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]