The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
By N.Styles
Removed my heatshield after reading this post & the car no longer sounds like a bag of nails.
I've compressed the weird washers with a flypress to stop them rotating & will fit back this weekend.

I'd recommend not leaving it off the car completely as the red hot manifold is very close to the drive shaft/rubber seals ect.
By milano_steve
I've been hearing a similar problem and had a look under the car last night as I've already taken the plastic Vtec cover off the engine to no avail.

Having jacked up the car on my drive and put in on axle stands it was easy enough to find the heat sheild. It was immediatly apparent that the mesh/brillopad washers were rusted to bits. There was a lot of play on the sheild even though the bolts themselves were on tight.

I had the intention to just remove the sheild and go for a short drive to see if the noise had gone. Getting the damn thing off however was not possible. One of the bolts is easy to reach from under the car, Ie the top right one shown in the picture in this thread above. The other two bolts are in massively awkward places and I couldn't get at them, even with the help of a mate who was assisting from above in the egine bay. Tried spanner, wrench, extension attachments etc and still had no luck. I'm by no means a competant mechanic but I really can't see how you can do this on your drive. I'm sure a garage would get this done in no time on the ramps but it's hellish hard work trying to do it yourself.

If anyone has any tips or techniques on how to get the thing off, other than whats already been said it would be much appreciated. :scratch:

Cheers
By milano_steve
I had a go with a ratchet aswell, there just dosen't seem room to manouvre. I think the main problem is I'm an office tart and never usually get my hands dirty :lol:

Definatly think thats whats causing the noise though. Perhaps a sticky of this thread would be useful as it seems very common.

My car will be in the garage tomorrow getting a Spoon N1 fitted so I'll just ask them to sort it while it's in.

Cheers
By mat
did you use flex head ratchet spanners like this?

if i remember rightly, as i was doing the job i remember thinking what a pita it would be to do the job without them.

mat.
By milano_steve
Something similar yes. I could get the head on the bolt after a bit fiddling round but it was actually applying enough pressure with it being at an awkward angle and the ratchet not slipping. The bolt thats easy to reach still took a lot of welly to shift.

They obviously haven't been shifted since the car was made, some 80,000 miles ago. Maybe getting a beat heat on them would work, but again, the location of the bolts would make going in trigger happy with a blowtorch a bit risky.

Like I said, I'm not particularly blessed in the strength department and that's probably got a lot to do with it :oops:

I shall post an update when it's been taken off and let everyone know what the results are.

Thanks for the help.
By nfrancis_uk
I have this sort of noise around 1k revs in 1st and 2nd, even in 4th at about 1k revs.
Would this be the same issue?! Its getting on my bloody nerves?

Also where do i jack the car up and then place the axle stands as i dont want to damage it?!
By nfrancis_uk
tall_dave wrote:thorno_58: This is what you're looking for:

Is this located at the bottom or top if that makes any sense? Is the black bit facing down to the road?
By Leezer
nfrancis_uk wrote:tall_dave wrote:thorno_58: This is what you're looking for:

Is this located at the bottom or top if that makes any sense? Is the black bit facing down to the road?
No. If you jack the car and secure with axle stands crawl in on your back from front of car on driver side. Look for the driveshaft and you will easily see the heat shield. I would advise to have a 1/2" ratchet set with a selection of extensions including the angled one
By aaron type r
nfrancis yer mines exactly like this so probaly is the same. I looked under the car and pressed the accelerator and reved it up a bit and let it go back to idle to see where the rattle was coming from.

Does anyone know if its ok to remove the heat sheild above the B-pipe of exhaust?
By milano_steve
Hey guys,

Unfortunatly this wasn't the source of the problem for me :sad:

Going to get the clutch release bearing looked at next, then the main shaft bearings.

Aaron - I personally wouldn't advise removing that heat sheild above the b-pipe. The b-pipe gets pretty hot and I imagine the sheild is there for good reason.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]