The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
jamesallen1985 wrote:Wow wee guys! Looks like loads of people have had the creaking steering problem.

I noticed it on mine when driving round London (Loads of starting and stopping) Only ever did the noise pulling away and when the car was above 20MPH it was fine and runs like a dream with no noise. I only started noticing it when I got 2 new tyres and tracking fitted on the front. Seems like when the car wheels were removed it kicked in the creakyness hehe.

Also another thing I noticed with mine was if the creaky sound was really bad pulling away it would light up the Oil light for a second and then it would go off again. I was really worried cause thought to myself that either I had engine oil leak or something bad with the power steering fluid or something. Pleased to say all was checked and all fine so must be something vibrating causing a loose connection when the steering creaks.

Well anyhow let me get to the point.... tried the 3 slits in the right and left side rubber covers and sprayed loads and loads of WD40 in it. I have used half a massive can in desperation that it will now solve the issue. Pleased to say it has instantly solved my problem and tomorrow I am going London again so going to be a really good test. Will let you guys know how tomorrow goes but success so far!

Have to say thank you to the previous posters as a £3 bottle of WD40 has saved me time and money getting a garage to look at this issue.

:thumbup:
Ok guys! Went driving round London today and got my sexy type r back now! Not a single creak or noise from the steering! It was silent! So yet another success story from me today. Lets see how long it lasts... dont really care though long as there is a solution now!

Thanks everyone!!! :-)
I tried this fix today after being pointed in the direction of this thread.

Happily after a month and a half of annoyance this worked a treat and I haven't heard a single creak since! If I wasn't on this forum that would have bugged me for ages!

High 5's for everyone :thumbup:
dunno if my prob is the same, i dont get any creaking noises but when driving normally at above 70 ish that my steering goes really twitchy and jerking and not smooth? it also seems to do it when parking at obviously low speeds. its bugging me, the car is under warranty as ive only had it a week but its a pain to take it back to the garage where i bought it. hope someone can help me?
i have this problem myself ive changed my hub and wheel bearing and front strut and still have the noise..... its driving me nuts ive been told my steering rack has a little bit of play in it... so do u think this would hepl mine if i tried?? anything is worth a go as just had enough now to be honest!! :-x
Mines got this :bad-words: does it really randomly, like REALLY randomly whilst turning, so glad i read this, i thought it was an expensive suspension jobby!!

your the best guys :thumbup:
need to do mine got the squiky noise for ages, now reading up this topic should be easy job :thumbup:

sorry to be a newbie but where can i purchase this lol, i been looking on ebay GT85 400ml Spray Lubrication is that ok?

thanks peeps
After I read this thread and I was thinking I am going to spray my steering rack with multi-purpose lithium grease. I kind of rattle/clunking when i go over any speed bump. Yesterday I gave them a good spray and the rattle/ clunking gone when i go on speed bump, quite a suprise result
Hi, I've had my car for a couple of months and have become a member of the squeaky club!!
I haven't read the all the replies but how about this. Is it possible to melt copper grease so it turns to liquid and pour it into a syringe to inject? Not sure if it would return to "solid" when it cools down, I assume so though.
Just a thought and I'll wait to see what people think before I give it a go.
John.
I am also officially a member of the squeaky club. It happens when i pull away, break or go over bumpy surface. My steering has also stopped returning to center :???:

This has happened ever since i have had it back from my insurance "approved" repairers! I've complained to my insurance and they are sending an engineer out to me on tuesday.

Until then i shall turn the stereo up!
yipppeeee... have lived with this noise for a while now and was desperately ignoring it thinking it was the steering rack... but now I am off to halfords in the morning to get some lube to give it a go..

I'll keep you posted.
haha it worked... fully greased up and no more noise :WOOT and the steering feels smoother.. dunno if thats cause of this or if it just in my head lol .. just the clicking noise to fix now and then I'll have a quiet honda again :-D
Thank god there are others with this problem I have been worried bout this for the last few days an was thinking mega bucks to get sorted! I ain't very mechanical so would anyone be able To post a pic or 2 on where to spray some wd40 please would be much appreciated :-) thanks

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]