The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
cheers i have cut the holes and lubed the rack but only drivers side cus thought i Would just try the one and see if it made any difference, and it did well so far! knowing my luck it will come back, gunna give it a proper test tonight with some spirited driving haha :-D il let ya know how i get on cheers.
djtopa wrote::sad: & :evil:

Mine rack was quiet for only one month :twisted:

And now is started to creek again,I will try with wd40 again...
Maybe in UK becouse of rainy wether its not that problem....

If came back so soon again.
My mechanic will try something elese,I will write up if we try....

The ideal way would be to remove the sleeves and lube it up with some decent grease..try a different spray lube matey, something a bit thicker than wd40. Mine is till ok after all this time.
been 2 weeks since i did the above. had to replace metal tie wraps with cable ties but whos bothered. and i have had no noises, no creeks, or whines when pulling away or stopping, n i've given it some stick to warm it up n still nothing. only noticed a slight creek goin over a speed hump, but think thats my top mounts. so its a success. :lol:
Hey Guys.

Tried this today and it worked fine.

I didn't use WD40 (doesn't seem to last long enough), but used a cake decorating bag :oops: and filled it with LM2
multi purpose grease. I obviously had to make a slightly larger cut in the boot to fit the nozzle in and then filled it right up.
To close the boot back up, I cleaned any excess grease off and used super glue then left for approx 10 mins.
Seems to have worked a treat, no more annoying creak.

PS it can get messy :thumbup:
got the same prob with my '02' type r, sound really pisses you off when turning corners, ill give the lube a try but if not ill just stick to the good old method of turnin the stereo up to drown out the noise!
cheers for the tips lads!
ben_ep3 wrote:hey guys just got back from a drive and when pulling out of the petrol station heard the noise that is discribed. I was getting really paranoid and stressed bout this. This has put my mind at rest. But does anyone think that it could be due to the weather? i mean i have only been driving my Civic for 2 weeks and its the 1st time it has been really wet.

Anyone got any ideas? i really dont wanna fall out of love with driving her.
hi dude i think its weather related too as mine does it when its wet too but when its dry the noise disapears maybe its just the moisture gettin to the joints?
Hello squeaky steering rack people.

I've had this problem since I got my EP3 a few months ago. :bad-words:

Lithium white grease sprayed directly onto the steering rack through a tiny incision in the rubber sleeve covering it will do the trick for a couple of months at the time. This does me because the alternative is a 'post facelift' steering rack for £900!!

I know nothing about cars but a mate at work used to own a squeaky creaky EP3 and he showed me that its really easy! I can post pics if someone needs em. :salut:
My 53 EP3 has just started creakin at low speeds. it happens whether or not im steering or not so this made me think it is not the steering rack? could this be top mounts needing replaced? my first thought was maybe an engine mount needing replaced but tryed shaking the engine around and got nothing. i then tryed shaking the car at the front inner wing/ strut area and heard the creaking.

Just looking 4 sum reassurance that it is most likely 2 be the top mounts?

Cheers,

Chewits

sorry 4 the rambling lol
Wow wee guys! Looks like loads of people have had the creaking steering problem.

I noticed it on mine when driving round London (Loads of starting and stopping) Only ever did the noise pulling away and when the car was above 20MPH it was fine and runs like a dream with no noise. I only started noticing it when I got 2 new tyres and tracking fitted on the front. Seems like when the car wheels were removed it kicked in the creakyness hehe.

Also another thing I noticed with mine was if the creaky sound was really bad pulling away it would light up the Oil light for a second and then it would go off again. I was really worried cause thought to myself that either I had engine oil leak or something bad with the power steering fluid or something. Pleased to say all was checked and all fine so must be something vibrating causing a loose connection when the steering creaks.

Well anyhow let me get to the point.... tried the 3 slits in the right and left side rubber covers and sprayed loads and loads of WD40 in it. I have used half a massive can in desperation that it will now solve the issue. Pleased to say it has instantly solved my problem and tomorrow I am going London again so going to be a really good test. Will let you guys know how tomorrow goes but success so far!

Have to say thank you to the previous posters as a £3 bottle of WD40 has saved me time and money getting a garage to look at this issue.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]