The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
By weve33
I got my car back from honda, took the car for a spin and said nothing with 3rd at all. They also said they are not aware of this situation and its the first they've heard.....surely with all these queries from us there would be a bulletin on their website or something. But they did tell me that a recall for handbrake is due very soon.
By l30bar
seems all valid points above....I have had mine 2 weeks now, and 3rd gear has been, lets say somewhat strange, I thought it was my driving, so winged it back to the dealer today, and yep Low and behold, they have done two so far, and a new carbon 3rd gear syncro is now on order, apparently the old one is cast alluminium and is not strong enough......so its gearbox out, syncro in, then leave it to seal overnight....job done hopefully

(prefering the old EP3 gearshift for positiveness and responce though so far)
By woolz
disagree, the ep3 box was vgood, but i find the fn2 more direct and a lot less notchey. anyone know what the differences are between the two boxes?
By chizzle
Hi all. I'm new around here so go gentle ...

I got my Type R last April and generally I love it, but I had noticed the 3rd gear issue fairly early on but thought that it was probably me. Then when my wife was driving she had the same problem - it is usually more apparent at lower and mid revs rather than at high revs, although it has happened when driving a little more 'briskly' as well. The other thing I have noticed is that when the engine is cold and in 3rd and on a progressive throttle then it will 'kangagroo hop' - it's a bit embarassing at times. There is also some knocking and creaking noises that come from the rear when cold.

The dealer who carried out the 12.5k service acknowledged the 3rd gear issue but said that the fix isn't working in every case and that it would be best to try and push for a new gearbox.

A call is about to go into Honda Customer Services - I'll let you know the outcome. :twisted:
By l30bar
woolz wrote:disagree, the ep3 box was vgood, but i find the fn2 more direct and a lot less notchey. anyone know what the differences are between the two boxes?

ohhhhhh shocker :scratch: ....maybe it was the angle of the dangle on the old box, it felt like a race box to me, maybe the FN2 has more throw, who know's....in the EP3 I knew I was in gear and there was no movement of the stick left to right, The FN2 seems to take a bit more to secure it in gear and feels ..oh I don't know..errrrr.....less aggresive if that makes sence....don't get me wrong, loving the car!..................I noticed they havent made the paint any thicker since the EP3!
By rehan$
got my car on the 1st and iv had the 3rd gear prob, its pretty damn annoyin, so going to take it into local dealer, to see what they say, i would have thought the gear problems would have been sorted on new cars?
By matgt3000
rehan$ wrote:got my car on the 1st and iv had the 3rd gear prob, its pretty damn annoyin, so going to take it into local dealer, to see what they say, i would have thought the gear problems would have been sorted on new cars?
it seems really hit or miss, mines a 57reg got late nov, should be the updated version (after 45weeks of production) and have no problems with 3rd, but only done 2,000mls, theres a post floating about of a 08 thats fine, then you get yours thats a problem, doesn't make a lot of sence :scratch: , what are honda playing at :bad-words:
By Johnny191
Hi guys,

I was wondering how long it takes to get the fix applied? My dealer says the synchros will be replaced in only 1 day. From my impression here, i takes several days to do this? Maybe someone can reply how long it took to get his/her car fixed? I think my dealer is planning to change just the gearbox oil, and not the synchros.

Kind regards,

John
By l30bar
Johnny191 wrote:Hi guys,

I was wondering how long it takes to get the fix applied? My dealer says the synchros will be replaced in only 1 day. From my impression here, i takes several days to do this? Maybe someone can reply how long it took to get his/her car fixed? I think my dealer is planning to change just the gearbox oil, and not the synchros.

Kind regards,

John
two days job done!!!!!...basically leaving overnight to seal.
By Big Slick
I had my Civic in for its 1 year service last week (12k) and i mentioned it to them...

As this had happened a few times...

Woman i spoke to in Springfield Newcastle said they have had a few in for same issue...

They took it out, didnt find fault but have ordered new parts to change the synchro on the specific gears... 3rd and 4th i think they said... parts havent arrived yet...

All looks good though... Had to replace the 2 front tyres also....im glad i did since it i had 2mm of tread on off side lol...

£360....eek! But worth it IMO...
By woolz
THE 3RD GEAR PROBLEM HAS BEEN RECALLED!!!
had my car booked in to honda yesterday for the new 3rd gear, turned up and apparentley honda uk are not allowing them to do it now because it hasnt worked on the cars its been fiited to. the problem is on recall and they are working on a new fix. wont be ready for a month or two. they said 90% of customers that have had the fix have had no improvement! i got in and phoned honda uk to double check my honda dealer wasnt pulling a fast one but they confirmed this was correct.
By l30bar
I have just done the same with my dealer, But they insist its not a recall as of yet as Honda have sussed the problem and are changing the syncro to Carbon not Ali...so all problems will be rectified!....mine is still due to be done at the end of the month!...so HONDA are still doing it for me.
By Big Slick
Havent heard that myself, but got a call from the dealer checking to see if everything was fine after service...

And they confirmed that parts were on order... Just have to wait and see what happens... :)
By ED209
My car went in monday lunch time for the third fix and a service, still not heard nothing back

so 2 questions?

1)why has it taken so long??

2)if honda have cancelled the fix why have they still got my car?
By aphemia
aphemia wrote:I've been having the usual 3rd gear problems - not all the time, but it's flippin irritating when it just won't go into 3rd or when it pops out of it's own accord.

Anyway, took it to the dealers last week and went out for a test-drive with a mechanic. Of course, he denied that there was anything wrong with it even though I SAW it jump out of third when he was downshifting.

So, I'm not getting anywhere with the dealer at all which is incredibly frustrating.

Where do I go from here???
As an update to this, I gave Honda a further call to ask for advice (and to see whether they said anything about the cancelled fix as per the post above). Well, I nearly fell off my chair. After seemingly endless infuriating phonecalls over the last couple of months to the dealer and testdrives etc. the lovely lady at Honda came straight out and said that it's a known problem and she couldn't understand why my dealer was being so difficult. She put in a call for me to the dealer and then called me back right away to confirm then the synchro would be changed for me and that the dealer would call soon to arrange the fix. :-D

Now, the dealer hasn't called yet, but I can feel the weight lifted off my shoulders already.

Thank you Honda Customer Relations! :thumbup:

Now, I hope that it all goes ahead and the fix is a working fix for me...I'll let you know
By ED209
insanojackson wrote:My car went in monday lunch time for the third fix and a service, still not heard nothing back

so 2 questions?

1)why has it taken so long??

2)if honda have cancelled the fix why have they still got my car?
Just been down to get my car back. In the 15 mile drive home third now seems fine!!!!

and how much nicer to drive is the fn2 than a 1.2 poverty spec jazz?
By NIMBUS
so is it a recall or not ? whichever way it's not good build quality from a major company like honda. built to quickly ? i am beginning to think so !!
By ED209
NIMBUS wrote:so is it a recall or not ? whichever way it's not good build quality from a major company like honda. built to quickly ? i am beginning to think so !!

its only one fault,in 2 hondas i have owned, where as my one bmw mini had about 20 similar issues!
By mossifier
Another disappointing experience for the record; Finally took mine into Springfield in Scotswood Newcastle yesterday with the 3rd gear complaint and what a waste of time.
After having the car for the day I collected it to find that the kids had had a play at my expense and at the end of the day written ''could not fault'' on the worksheet! Not even a phone call! :bad-words:
Firstly; for a common and known fault, why the need for a test drive??? Just fix it!!
Secondly; Why the need for a 5 mile 16MPG thrashing??? I don't exactly snail around in my car and I have NEVER used fuel like that so I must assume the thing spent 5 miles in the RED.

I have done without my car for the day and had some halfwit take it for a thrash... Great. My first Honda and thanks to this experience; probably my last.

I.m really p....ssed off and will start with customer services.
By Dyls
mossifier wrote:Another disappointing experience for the record; Finally took mine into Springfield in Scotswood Newcastle yesterday with the 3rd gear complaint and what a waste of time.
After having the car for the day I collected it to find that the kids had had a play at my expense and at the end of the day written ''could not fault'' on the worksheet! Not even a phone call! :bad-words:
Firstly; for a common and known fault, why the need for a test drive??? Just fix it!!
Secondly; Why the need for a 5 mile 16MPG thrashing??? I don't exactly snail around in my car and I have NEVER used fuel like that so I must assume the thing spent 5 miles in the RED.

I have done without my car for the day and had some halfwit take it for a thrash... Great. My first Honda and thanks to this experience; probably my last.

I.m really p....ssed off and will start with customer services.
I'd call Honda Customer Care if I was you, their number is on the Honda Website.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]