The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
By greggyboy
I spoke to cpl this morning and they said its not a common fault and they want £360 just to remove and refit the box any internal work on the box is extra are they trying to have my pants down?
By IanMcD
Bought my CTR 6 mths ago @18 mths old, noticed 3rd gear problem immediately but thought it was my bad driving. Found this forum and noted this thread - read it all and you will find someone kindly posted the official Honda references for the problem. Waited until my first service and gave them the list of problems including the Honda references from this thread.
Clover Leaf cars Ascot were marvellous. Acknowledged problem, got parts, fixed it-no hassle. Car much better to drive.

Whilst there they fixed a dashboard squeak and the "Kangaroo" problem when cold. Forget that balldocks posted about the flywheel being light and you being a bad driver! They described the fault using these words but I cannot remember in which order "idling" "learning" "incomplete". They plugged it into the computer and installed the latest software - sound familiar?, wonder if M$ have anything to do with it!!

Summary - extremely pleased with Clover Leaf Ascot.
By 05typeR
of all the ppl who had there boxes broken into and changed parts, no one cant tell me if the 1st/2nd has the triple syncros and the rest has double?? :sad:
By Flashley
:WOOT Right guys, I bought my new type r last friday - its a 2007 gt NHB and was having the third gear problem - took it back today and the service department where brilliant and said striaght away about the syncro problem..... after putting on the rolling road and testing it they are claiming the new syncros on the warrenty - NO HASSEL

They didn't even sugguest running the gear box in - my advise is take it to the dealer you bought it from, take print outs from this forum of all of us complaining about this issue - they will no idea but to do something----

If they don't move on this just tell them, you'll go to Honda UK and honda will not take this lightly they will sort this out rather than have the problem get worse...

hope this helps alot of you

cheers :thumbup:
By dave ep3
If anyone is having problems with their FN2 type r with 3rd gear then take it straight to your main dealer. It is a known problem (3rd gear synchro fault) these have now been modified to cure the fault. All work will be done under warranty so no money to pay (all covered by honda)

NOTE this fault is for 2007 build ONLY and is customer complaint ONLY
By NIMBUS
been to my dealer today with my 2007 ctr was told outright they have never heard of a problem with 3rd gear..never done a fix and looked at me like i had 2 heads.told me to take it back tomorrow and 'they will see if they can diagnose a problem' if not then there is nothing they can do..pointed them in hondas direction but they didn't seem interested :-x :-x
By m@dds
I too have recently purchased a knighthawk black Type R GT and Im encountering the same problem.

I have also noticed what appears to be rust starting underneath the rear OS tailgate light, you can see what looks like rust between the the body work and the light but not too sure about this as of yet.

I have just contacted honda about this (Honda brislington) and I am waiting for a reply

The cars only done 8825miles :shock:
By matgt3000
m@dds wrote:I too have recently purchased a knighthawk black Type R GT and Im encountering the same problem.

I have also noticed what appears to be rust starting underneath the rear OS tailgate light, you can see what looks like rust between the the body work and the light but not too sure about this as of yet.

I have just contacted honda about this (Honda brislington) and I am waiting for a reply

The cars only done 8825miles :shock:
What age is the car?
By Cracksta
i have a friend with a 2007 FN2 GT model.

i think his car is out of warranty when he purchased it a few months ago from a private seller.

Would Honda still repair the 3rd gear syncro problem for him or does he need to kick n scream to get it repaired for free?

Otherwise he has to live with it or fork out the monies?

cheers
By matgt3000
Cracksta wrote:i have a friend with a 2007 FN2 GT model.

i think his car is out of warranty when he purchased it a few months ago from a private seller.

Would Honda still repair the 3rd gear syncro problem for him or does he need to kick n scream to get it repaired for free?

Otherwise he has to live with it or fork out the monies?

cheers
Honda know about this problem and there is a fix out there for it so i would have thought honda would just sort it out :???:
By murray
Im having this issue aswell. I have a 56 plate 2007 CTR GT after reading this going to call Honda local to me, its already booked in on Monday to get a new headlight after someone hit my car in the car park and drove off. Will let you know if they will replace it FOC.

Fingers crossed
By smsguy
hi guys, i need some proper advise as what might be wrong.
i have civic type r ep3 2004 facelift. recently i noticed i have problems in shifting gears, specially 3 and 5 on high revs.it grinds when i shift to 3rd and vice versa.it only happens on hight revs.i have been advised it my clutch(81,000 miles on the closk) and to get a stage 2 champion clutch. i am worried thinking my gear box is nt damaged . im so worried
By RosscoMac
Sorry to have to bring this back up but the few Type-R's I'm looking at buying are 2007 models which could well have this problem. If the previous owner hasn't had it fixed, what would be the chances of Honda still doing it FOC? Would hate to buy this then be stuck with an expensive problem to fix!
By Ging6996
Hi all brought a 57plate type r on Friday.
Drivin it over the weekend I'm sure it has the 3rd gear problem.
I've rang my local Honda garage and he said it isn't a comin fault but he said take it in and heal have a look/get in touch with Honda about a warrenty claim.

But he wants 54 quid diagnostic fee. He said its a flat fee etc. should I just do it an hope they say it's a warrenty claim and forget the 54quid.
Or if it is a warrenty claim would I get that back.

Is there anything off here I can take to Honda with me.

It's got 34k and 4stamps in book. 3 Honda and 1 from toyota(not sure why but the chap said that shud be fine for a FSH)

Thanks
In advance
Graham
By T41l589
I'd be interested to know where I would stand on my fn as well. It's a 2007 model and I think it has the third gear problem. Where would I stand with regards to a warranty fix? Going to phone my local Honda dealer on Monday anyway. I also have the 'kangaroo' problem when the car is cold so would like to see if there is a fix for that too!
By CLOVERLEAF159
Ok so we know 2007 cars had this problem. Does anybody know when this problem was fixed on the production line.

has their been any reports of 58 plate and later having this problem?
By T41l589
Does anyone know where I can get proof that this is a known fault acknowledged by Honda? My local dealership are refusing to acknowledge and say that have never heard of it. Seems funny when my mate got his repaired for the exact same fault at the same dealer.
Hi,

I picked up my 2010 M200 last October with 17k miles and since the day I picked it up 2nd to 3rd gear and reverse have been quite 'crunchy' regardless of rev level and engine warmth. Sometimes its fine and other times it just won't go smoothly into gear.

Like others I put this down to a new car and not being used to the gearbox. Since then it has mildly improved but not to any kind of acceptable level - especially from Honda.

So basically I have it booked into Honda this week and I have made them aware of the issue. Having read a large chunk of this 32 page thread it seems most of the issues were with 07/08 plate and it came down to 3rd gear syncro hub.

If anyone else had issues with a 2010 plate and if it was the same fix please get in touch and let me know. Sad to say it is going to Honda with a snagging list of other things too. No way near the build quality of the 54 plate I had before. Shame asa the gearbox on that model was superb for the 7 years I owned it.

Thanks!!

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]