The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
By fireman george
Whats the problem HONDA issue a recall on all TYPE Rs and fix this gearbox fault.When i spent 20000 on one of their products i did not expect such rubbish after-sales service.come on HONDA sort it .Any one thinking of getting one don't save your money .
By racman
fireman george wrote:Whats the problem HONDA issue a recall on all TYPE Rs and fix this gearbox fault.When i spent 20000 on one of their products i did not expect such rubbish after-sales service.come on HONDA sort it .Any one thinking of getting one don't save your money .
Try a better dealer :eek:
By boring.com
My 1st post.

I have an 08 CTR & the gear change to 2nd & 3rd is a struggle. There's a definite crunch when moving to 2nd & 3rd. I had an call from the dealer re an unrelated fault (faulty alarm; no sound) when I initially took in it for the alarm, I mentioned the struggle with the gears, I was fobbed off with a 'oh its a new car & you need to work the gears in'. Funny then that a call from the service team to tell me my alarm had arrived that I mentioned the problem with the gears & i was told 'oh, it's the syncros, its a known fault with the CTR'. Th service manager fobbed me off & when I called him today to tell him, his reply was 'i'll get my top technician to test it .... blah blah blah'. I'm taking it in for the alarm next week, if i'm treated like a piece of turd again ... i'm seriously going lose my gasket. I haven't spent 20g's for some guy having a midlife crisis to tell me i'm talking a load of shite.

I've even contacted watchdog &i'm awaiting a researcher contact me back. Changing dealer is an option but, why should i have to. What ever happened to good old service.
By sauluk
Just tell him the syncro is shagged and you know there is a fix as it is a very common fault and tell them you'll contact Honda UK to prove it. Sounds like you have a terrible dealer, mine fixed it without even testing it
By aphemia
I meant to post this ages ago. I had the 3rd gear fix done about 2 months ago, and since then I have not had one dodgy change. In fact, the gearbox is now perfect. I had to fight hard, but I'm so glad it's finally resolved! :-D
By woolz
had my third gear done last week! its spot on now! gearbox is fantastic! if your dealer is fecking you around, go to honda in southend ( i travel 50miles to use that one) their servcie is great, speak to richard service manager and get your problems sorted there.
By predator1111
Mines an 08 model and the problem is still there, only had the car for about a week and the local dealer acknowledged that there was a problem and has ordered the parts for a 3rd - 4th syncro fix which will be done this week.

They were quite helpful and the technician checked the service bulletins and confirmed that there was this problem, just hope that the fix solves the problem.
By badmiral
i mentioned it to stratstone, they booked it in and fixed it - they also did the handbrake whilst it was there.

when i picked it up the guy said he noticed the back wheels are pitting slightly, he then said wait for it to get a bit worse and he'll get them replaced!

good guy
By Spud 2
My CTR07 had the third gear synchro problem diagnosed from new in Mar 07. My local dealer replaced this back in Aug 07 with the re-engineered new synchro fitted to production build CTR07s from Sep 07.

In the past week or so, I've noticed a notchiness occuring again when changing up from second to third. The dealer can't find anything wrong but I can feel it on every other change. It's not driver error honest !

Anyone else had the new synchro fitted and experiencing problems ?

Any tips ?

Cheers

Spud 2
By hyb
Just been to a dealer with mine, they tested it and couldn't find a problem, but to be fair it's been behaving these last few days. I have had moments where it wont go in at all or half goes in. They've ordered the bits though under warranty. 3rd gear synchro hub, sound about right?

Is there any downside to having Honda taking out the gearbox, future wear or anything?
By slug_dive
Having had my car 18 months, I contacted Honda Customer Relations or whatever they call themselves at the beginning of December having spoken to them a few times before about the issue. The bloke I spoke to claimed he had never heard of a problem and nothing showed up on their system about it. After plenty of insisting, he contacted head office and called me back to say that they had heard of the problem. They paid for the courtesy car (as they should) while the garage checked it out. They never said they found the problem but they disassembled the gearbox and rectified the problem over 3 days.

I have not had a problem with 3rd gear since without one failed change since then. In fact it is now much better than 4th!
By slug_dive
That was one day to diagnose the problem (2 if they want the car to be cold in the morning which luckily they didn't wait for) receiving the parts the next day as they won't get them in beforehand, and then those 5 hours to do the job.

They could have kept it for a couple of weeks and it would have still been worth it! The improvement in driving experience was substantial.
By gavzter
can anyone confirm if there is an actual Honda Service Bulletin for this problem/fix?
If so, what is the reference number for it?

It will clear up any potential arguments with dealers if you're quoting an official bulletin.

Thanks,
Gavin
By Chigger
Had it agreed today to get my 3rd gear synchro sorted out, just awaiting parts. Anyone got any idea how long this takes with Swindon being shut?

Cheers

Chig
By hyb
Forgot to say, got mine done, got it back the next day. Fine for 3 weeks now just had the car recovered home as it won't come out of reverse, woohoo!
By Chigger
Just got my car back today after the 3rd gear fix, and have to say its much improved. Dealer also changed the fly wheel for some reason and also applied the hand brake fix as well.
By dogzilla
My dealer failed to acknowledge the problem... car there 3 times. Gave up in the end.

Anyway new one turns up in a couple weeks, lets see if that's the same.
By alan2998
Got my 07 ctr a few weeks ago noticed the 3rd gear problem went to dealer the mechanic had a drive round the block agreed with me booked in on Thursday had it back Friday lunchtime . And also had the the door rust problem on the top corners under the the rubber seal done as well all under warranty no problems at all.
By greggyboy
I only got my ctr yesterday and didnt notice this until i was half way home so it looks like im on my way to honda tomorrow "GREAT"

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]