The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
By aphemia
mossifier wrote:Another disappointing experience for the record; Finally took mine into Springfield in Scotswood Newcastle yesterday with the 3rd gear complaint and what a waste of time.
After having the car for the day I collected it to find that the kids had had a play at my expense and at the end of the day written ''could not fault'' on the worksheet! Not even a phone call! :bad-words:
Firstly; for a common and known fault, why the need for a test drive??? Just fix it!!
Secondly; Why the need for a 5 mile 16MPG thrashing??? I don't exactly snail around in my car and I have NEVER used fuel like that so I must assume the thing spent 5 miles in the RED.

I have done without my car for the day and had some halfwit take it for a thrash... Great. My first Honda and thanks to this experience; probably my last.

I.m really p....ssed off and will start with customer services.
Same thing with me mate, although I insisted on going on the test drive so I could make sure the car wasn't thrashed.

I've since phone Honda Customer Care (as per my email above) who were a little surprised and agreed to sort out the problem for me. HOWEVER, I then got a further call from Honda saying that they'd spoken to the dealer and as the dealer said my car was fine (which it isn't) they wouldn't be able to arrange the fix. :bad-words:

They also advised me to take it to a "better" dealer, and suggested one 20 miles up the road. I haven't managed to get it there yet...
By redxen
Took mine to dealers this morning to complain about 3rd gear. Guy took it out for a drive with me and typically it was fine the whole time. He didn't seem all that fussed until I told him a mate from work has booked his in this week and that I've seen all the posts on the interweb so I know its a problem. When we got back to the showroom he went on some honda site and saw that there is a fix, which he said was new, so it's booked in for 3 days from the 21st. I really hope they sort it.
By Manistyper
I have to the same problem, it used to crunch when i selected 3rd gear and now i cannot put the car into 3rd gear AT ALL....
By Hayden
I told the garage that I was having problems with 3rd gear. They had the car in for two days to replace the 3rd gear syncro (I hope that's right, I am a girl so not good with technology).

Anyway they told me that this is the 6th car they have done this to so far!! Bearing in mind they won't have sold millions of Type R's I think that it is quite a high number.

Have driven the car to and from work and touch wood the gear changes seem to be fine.

I think it is quite a big job to do this 3rd gear thing, which is probably why Honda are somewhat reluctant to admit that it is a problem. My local garage were great though and never quibbled that it was a problem or anything, just got on and did the job.

I can't believe that some people are being told that there is no recognised problem - there obviously IS.
By Hayden
I sleep with a teddy bear :sad:

At least it is good info to use if the garage try to deny the 3rd gear problem exists :wink:
By Big Slick
My car is finally going in for the 3rd gear issue.

Got call today, synchro was on back order apparently... So its going in on 12th May for 3 days to get that sorted as well as the handbrake fix...

All is good... :-)
By Johnny191
Hi all,

Today, my CTR '07 was in for the 3rd gear issue. They have replaced the synchro-ring of the 3rd and 4th gear today. At the end of today, I received a phone call that I could not get the car, because the service manual for this problem also requires the flywheel to be replaced. Has anyone heard of this or does know how this is related to the 3rd gear problem?

Thanks in advance for your reply's!

Best regards,
John
By Big Slick
Well i got my car back on Wednesday last week... And i can say its sweet as a nut...

All fixed, had the handbrake sorted and the 3rd gear issue is gone... :)

They even valetted the car lol... was a bit dirty... :oops:

So im all smiles...
By aphemia
elsie wrote:Has anyone had this problem with an 08 model?
All 08 models should be fine. The info is all in the thread, but I think they changed the problem part on the production line in about Nov-07.
By ricster
So yesterday I finally informed my dealer about the 3rd gear issue to be fixed together with the handbrake recall. They said they would order the new parts in on Monday, and so will hopefully have it booked in the following week. They did warn me that potentially, there could be some rattling in the new gearbox as they are taking apart a sealed unit. Has anyone had been afflicted with this issue and is it really bad? I told them I wanted 3rd gear fixed anyway because it just got REALLY annoying.

And also, they said they would have to keep my car in for about 4 days. Am I within my rights to ask for some kind of compensation, or would they just think I'm a cheeky sod?!? If i am, what kind of things can should/can I ask for?
By fireman george
I have a March 08 model and have had the third gear problem a number of times,I am new to this model so blamed myself.It says on site that the problem was fixed on 08 MODELS it would seem it has not. I will be talking to main dealer soon.
By Jintel
That's not good news, particularly as I pick my new one up in a week. Although it was registered in 08 it could have been built a towards the end of the year and sat in a storage lot somewhere?
By stevewales2003
in a non harsh way to everyone else who's had this problem. i'm glad to read this is a common fault, just bought my first 04 ctr 5 miles down the road an had to take it back to the dealer (3'r gear crunching an windscreen trim coming off at speed), so my first weekend as a ctr owner has been spent in a 1.2 fiesta :( am sure the lads in the garage the dealer have took it to are having some fun with it though!
By curtybob
hi ive have the same problem rang my honda up and they have a fix for it they need it for sum days to strip the gear box
By VTEC77
My car has been in the garage since Monday 30th of June for the 3rd gear 'fix', handbrake recall and rust on both doors. This is the rental (which Honda are paying shed loads for) I am currently driving as the dumb fooks at the garage stripped the gearbox before they had the new 3rd/4th gear linkage......

And yes, it does drive even worse than it looks :oops: :evil:

Last I heard the part should/might/maybe in on the 11th so have got every available appendage crossed that I'll get my car back next week! Fooking crappy Swindon build quality backed up by fook useless aftersales service. Oh joy :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words:
By racman
My dealer has just done mine, and they did a really good job (I checked carefully afterwards and you can barely tell the box has been R&R ed :-D ). It is a lot more positive changing up to 3rd. Heres some useful tech info which might help if you have a reluctant dealer but to be honest if they cant be bothered looking it up themselves do you really want them inside your gearbox anyway :?:

Causal part number: 23623pns316

Symptom code: 03101

LON (I don`t know WTF that means sorry): 2131d0

FRT (Flat rate time :cool: ) 5.9 hrs

Replacement part number: 23623pns326 (I assume this kit contains the 3/4 th synchro hub/gaskets/fasteners to do the entire job from what I can tell doing a visual inspection of the gearbox and driveshafts etc.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]