The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
By Tony555
How are you getting on with the 3rd gear "problem" mentioned in another thread a while ago ? My FN2 is ok but going into 3rd sometimes has a definately different feel.

I can feel 3rd gear engage. Sometimes I get a "don't release the clutch yet because it needs to be pushed into 3rd some more" moment.

It does not feel "wrong" but I have to be more precise and deliberate when going into 3rd.

These observations have all come at low revs (it has not gone over 4000rpm yet because its done so few many miles) so I'm hoping 3rd won't be worse at 8000rpm !
By dogzilla
The only people having problems with their car are people that are poodling around like old codgers in a Type-R.

Give it some beans and i'm sure the problem with go away, OR YOUR MONEY BACK!
By Captain Caveman
I had my FN2 at the dealers for this problem, and was told it was a known issue, and Honda did not have a fix for it......hopefully that will put paid to the simplistic "old codgers" idea. :smile:

Giving it planty of vtec does not cure the issue, and it still rears its head now and again.
By glen8
yep, mine does it

3rd gear is funny, you can feel two notches when you select it. If you don't hit the second notch it will bounce out.

If I am driving about town and my concentration lapses I do pop out of third. I need to remember to push it in hard till I get the second notch.
By remus35
yeah, 3rd gear is a problem on mine also. it seems as though 3rd gear is a slightly different angle to the rest of the H Box.
By matt_mansfield_uk
Definitely a problem. And lol, I don't drive like a codger. Seems like I'm noticing it much more and I'd even suggest, it's getting worse.
By crisso
Just my (14 days) experience - when changing down from 6th to 5th - if I don't give a slight right bias with my hand, I find it goes straight into 3rd - too easily! Sofar luckily, no chronically too-high/over-revving!

Generally, I find the gearbox quite good although, I forever seem to be changing gear up and down on normal roads, due to the overall (yawn)slow average speed of today's traffic.
By Shultz
Nice to see Honda took on board the EP3 gearbox problems & managed to shift the problem up one gear! :roll:

So we just need another 4 models for it to be fixed, or will it be back at first again?

Cheers Shelton.
By 10 Pence Short
Nah, in four generation's time they'll have gone back to making crap synchros again for 3rd/4th!
By adamgregory5
me too!

there has to be something to solve it ! ? itrs pretty bad on mine and seems to jump out of 3rd whenever it feels like it and i dont expect nor will accept that.
By Captain Caveman
As a follow up to my previous post, I gave Honda UK a call to see what news (if any) they had on the 3rd gear problem.

Their Customer Relations Department told me that they were not aware of any problems (surprise surprise!!!!), and that their technical staff had all left for the day!!!!

I have asked for a return call tomorrow, so I will (hopefully) give you an update after that.
By glen8
ok, can I suggest a '3rd gear issue' sticky so we can get a list of names down. If only a few people ring now and again, it won't get sorted.

If we get together a list of names and either all call at the same time, or write a letter it will get sorted out.
By k6rso
Yeah, good idea. I find it's only really a problem to be watched carefully when the car's cold. It's definitely a two-notch feel, as someone else said. But once it's all warmed up, it seems fine.
By kingofdbrits
I find it some times won't select 3rd and i have to take it out and try again, i dont want to force it in. Only done this a few times but will it get worse with time?
Having read all your comments i'm taking mine to the dealer in Northampton.
By number7
personally found that when im being a little lazy it hasnt engaged properly but positive shifts are fine.

the 6th to 5th also needs to be positive making sure you keep it to the right as you push up, just things that I need to adjust to i think.
By Ed Case
Having test driven the FN2 the past two weekends, I ran the gearbox through some rapid changes and did not notice any problems on either test car. I use a very positive swift technique and found it very slick but to tell the truth didn't really try many gentle town driving changes.

I am ordering a Milano red GT this weekend, should I be concerned by this ?
I'm sure nearly all of you are competent drivers, so this is a genuine problem on some cars.
I shall watch developments here with interest. Perhaps I should take one on a gentler test drive to check for this problem.
By pebz
Ed Case wrote:Having test driven the FN2 the past two weekends, I ran the gearbox through some rapid changes and did not notice any problems on either test car. I use a very positive swift technique and found it very slick but to tell the truth didn't really try many gentle town driving changes.

I am ordering a Milano red GT this weekend, should I be concerned by this ?
I'm sure nearly all of you are competent drivers, so this is a genuine problem on some cars.
I shall watch developments here with interest. Perhaps I should take one on a gentler test drive to check for this problem.
3rd gear is not the same as the others. But i find a positive action works just fine ... ive not missed one yet ... touch wood.
By number7
im sure its slow town driving and being not so positive, its happened with me but I purely put it down to my lazy shifts and Im 100% convinced it was my fault and not the cars.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]